Stay Away from Ramada Inn in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Invest in an AMEX Card.

I always use an AMEX card to book hotels for this very reason. Because they have no pre set spending limit, foolish front desk clerks can't ruin my vacation doing what they did to you. Well worth the annual fee...just make sure you can afford to pay it off every month!

Yeah, yeah, I know it sounds like a commercial but it's true. The problems described above are precisely why I always use my AMEX for deposits, reservations, etc. If a problem ever occurs a simple phone call as Genesis stated fixes it on the spot. Even if I plan on paying some other way I always use it, especially for cases like being in Bonaire and someone wants a credit slip in case of damages/theft. They do not mess around when it comes to problems.

I've stayed at that hotel several times and never had a problem. I wonder if management etc has changed...

Hey Giant

My girlfriend used to work at a hotel and once told me how they "reserved" certain amounts of money on the credit cards their customers gave them.

They do that to make sure that your card isn't maxed out before you pay their bills. So my guess would be that your wife's card wasn't charged for the 800$, but the credit limit was reduced by that reservation.

I don't think I understand my own explanations, but I'm trying...

That, however, does not explain bad service.

The typical practice is to put a hold on your card for the room and tax for the entire period of your stay, plus a hundred bucks or so for incidentals (phone calls, etc) when you check in.

If they have a prepaid reservation then there is no reason for them to do this - at all - other than the hundred bucks or so for potential phone charges.

It sounds like what they did was collect at check-in or even force a prepay for the entire reservation at the time the reservation is made (common in resort areas) and THEN place an ADDITIONAL $800 hold on the card - that's outrageous.

I've had that ramada experience in Vero Beach. From that point on, I am pretty adament on 2 points: 1) paying for the stay in full up front in cash 2) not giving them a card for anything such as incidentals because there wont be any.

When I was given grief about not giving up card, I simply told them like it or lump it, I dont use plastic for hotels. So far, no refusals to let me stay, I already paid cash for the night(s). :)

CBulla:
I've had that ramada experience in Vero Beach. From that point on, I am pretty adament on 2 points: 1) paying for the stay in full up front in cash 2) not giving them a card for anything such as incidentals because there wont be any.

When I was given grief about not giving up card, I simply told them like it or lump it, I dont use plastic for hotels. So far, no refusals to let me stay, I already paid cash for the night(s). :)

The problem with this is that they already have your card (for the reservation) and they have already authorized it (ditto) for at least SOMETHING.

Just get an Amex - if you don't want the fees, get a Blue or Blue Cash. Same protection, no fees.

Genesis:
The typical practice is to put a hold on your card for the room and tax for the entire period of your stay, plus a hundred bucks or so for incidentals (phone calls, etc) when you check in.

If they have a prepaid reservation then there is no reason for them to do this - at all - other than the hundred bucks or so for potential phone charges.

It sounds like what they did was collect at check-in or even force a prepay for the entire reservation at the time the reservation is made (common in resort areas) and THEN place an ADDITIONAL $800 hold on the card - that's outrageous.

That's exactly right. However reading the original post they didn't pay in advance, they submitted a second card for payment. It sounds like they preauthorized both cards.

Credit holds can up to 10 days depending on the card or merchant service provider. Excess amounts on holds are dropped when final payment is made at check out. It sounds like they authorized the first card, then did the same again when the new card was presented. It should have been caught by the desk clerk, but it's such an uncommon occurance it was missed.

You should NEVER use a debit card to check into a hotel. They all get preauthorized, and as gentlegiant found out can leave you without access to the cash in your account. If you don't have a card, then you'll be required to pay cash upfront and will lose the ability to charge things back to room. Some places will even shut your phone and movies off.

Marc

FLL Diver:
That's exactly right. However reading the original post they didn't pay in advance, they submitted a second card for payment. It sounds like they preauthorized both cards.

Makes sense to me. A honest mistake was made because they presented 2 different cards. The mistake was also corrected. I don't get it. I guess I'm the only one who thinks this is being blown out of proportion.

Nothing requires you to use the same card as the reservation. The reservation entry should have shown the other card as having been charged. Putting a hold on the 2nd card was a mistake, and yes, it was corrected. However charging $800 over the room cost is very excessive - and then not getting immediately back to the customer is something else again. Couple that with surly service and you have grounds not only for a letter, but all rights to post a warning here for others...

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom