Starting to workout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dropped about 4-6 lbs I think. I'd have to go find my logbook. It's in San Diego, I'm in Amsterdam for another few days. Brrrrrrrr.

Thanks for the reply! :)

He is a man approaching middle age that wants to lose weight. I am a middle aged man who has been there, done that. I was only trying to help by passing on what worked for me. I have a job and a family, and taking a hour or two a day to keep myself healthy makes me better at both.
Of course you tried to help by sharing your experience, but your plan is an overkill and a simpler and less time consuming plan could have worked for you just as well or even better. Moreover, "burning calories" by intensive workouts is completely wrong idea. You should burn calories by eating less and exercise to improve your body and preserve muscles. Our bodies have a nasty habit of losing weight by dissolving muscles, unless you exercise. Extensive training only leads to fatigue and traumas.

Wishing you the best and you have lots of company with your goals for fitness. There are almost as many approaches to fitness as there are individuals and everyone has to find the approach that works for them. I will share a few things I have learned.

The sweet spot for exercise is 30 minutes. Less is better then none and more will give additional benefit but not at the same proportion as that first 30 minutes.

Varing your routine will give you the greatest overall fitness level.

A post workout treat, chocolate milk, has the right proportion of carbs and protein to boost recovery. I am talking intense workout here, not a causal walk.

Few people truely lose weight only with exercise. Exercise is fitness. And diets do not work. Changing our eating habits and eating healthy, nutrient dense foods is where the weight loss will happen and will last.

Reactions: tep
My first major weight loss (230 lbs at 6' tall, down to 176 lbs in about 6 months) after a break-up went surprisingly easily. Started running 2-3 times per week, cut back on portion size, little more protein, more vegetables, minimal processed foods. I was 32 at the time. Ended up running 2x per week, bit of climbing, bit of weight training. Didn't need to watch my intake much.

2 years later came the side effect of rapid weight loss (gall stones, gall bladder infection, surgery) which broke the pattern, but not the eating habits required for an active lifestyle (waaay more calories than required). Then met my girlfriend, and gained the boyfriend 15 and another 15 for good measure before I got tired of it again. Work stress and new jobs didn't help.

What's working for me is a mix of weight training (1-2 hours per week) and an occasional short run (5k-7k, 30-40 minutes), cycling in the summer months. And importantly adjusting diet - portion control, and significantly increasing protein intake at the expense of complex carbs. Sort of a 'Paleo-ish' diet where I don't cut out the carbs entirely, but consider what's worth it. For me that's pasta once or twice per week, occasional ice cream; I don't really eat bread daily, don't care for potatos, rice on occasion, so it's not a big sacrifice. Soda and juice also not a big deal for me. Just a lifestyle adjustment that's sustainable and a training regime that's also doable.

I always find I get a bit 'addicted' to exercise when I get into a good rhythm. If I don't get out for a few days I start feeling a little antsy.

I've dropped the first 15, the second 15 (or so, maybe less now that I've got a bit more muscle mass) is progressing nicely. Dropped 8 lbs of lead when diving as well.

In my opinion, If you can't find 3-5 hours in a week to care for the only body you've got, maybe it's time to reevaluate your priorities. Find something you like doing, and make it part of your life. Same with food - don't diet, find a pattern of eating you can sustain.

Ok. You know better than me.

Of course you tried to help by sharing your experience, but your plan is an overkill and a simpler and less time consuming plan could have worked for you just as well or even better. Moreover, "burning calories" by intensive workouts is completely wrong idea. You should burn calories by eating less and exercise to improve your body and preserve muscles. Our bodies have a nasty habit of losing weight by dissolving muscles, unless you exercise. Extensive training only leads to fatigue and traumas.

Life is a journey, not a destination. So: Take the long view and slowly alter your lifestyle to get where you want to be. Do not deprive yourself, just moderate intake.

I (and my divebuddy) firmly believe it is all about life style. Especially true awareness of your lifestyle and small adjustments to get where you want to be. We have a close friend that is a binger: binge weight loss, binge weight gain: not a plan for success.

My divebuddy bought one of those fancy wrist activity tracker thingys and was totally shocked by its feedback. Active days were good, but her couch potato days sucked and were too frequent. So she bought me one as well, for my birthday (oops - I got the message)...

I believe the key is to make it all part of your life style. I love food and booze. I still do beer and wings at least once EVERY week. I continue to drink way too much wine. I also enjoy as much scotch as I can afford.

I have slowly lost 20 pounds over the last few years by paying attention to my fitbit activity tracker and doing simple things like walking 30 minutes home instead of taking the bus. I still manage to fit in all of my obsessions, I just balance it with more activity. Big bonus is that I can now almost keep up with most of the young bucks at hockey...

I think this video is worth watching... don't be turned off by the very beginning.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom