Starting to workout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Simple solution...Burn more calories than you intake.

Also, do a liver cleanse....google it. We just had our first home made juicer tonight
.....beets, grapefruit, ginger, milk thistle and cayan. Bought a Hamilton Beech juicer...put it right to use :)...I don't eat veggies, so this is my way to get nutrients....

I'm an avid rider. Svelte during summer/fall....well fed for hibernation months :)

Also drink 1/2 your weight daily in water in ounces....200 lbs, drink 100oz water daily!

At 6'4 and 235 lbs... run one day a week... Wish me luck!
I certainly wish you luck but with your current BMI=28.6 you have good chances of ruining your knees if you run. Consider this, "Being overweight increases your risk of arthritis. Research shows that obese people have almost three times the risk of arthritis in the knees. So it would make sense that heavy runners are at a higher risk of injuring their joints" and also check out the discussion here. Although this is all unscientific, just common sense type of arguments, I'd still first get rid of extra pounds and then start running. Try biking or just hiking longer distances instead.

Step 1: Diet.

Eat less, and not late at night. Your are getting old and your metabolism is slowing. Going to bed with undigested food is now bad.

If you need a little something at night, yogurt and water.

Your meals should get progessively smaller throughout the day.

Eat clean. Reduce or eliminate salt, sugar, and red meat. Eat low calorie, high nutrition foods: fruit and vegetables. Nothing new here.

Do not eat a big meal after exercise to compensate, thinking that you have to replace the calories that you burned. Eat the calories before, and snack after. No sugar.

Drink lots of water.

Get used to being a little hungry at first. Your body will adapt if you stick to it.

This is not a diet, per se. It is a permanent change to your eating habits.

Step 2: Cardio.

Get your cardio in order. You need to sweat, and huff and puff for it to have an effect. Push yourself. 3 times a week for 1 hour. Careful with the running, you are a big, heavy guy and could do some irreversable damage to your joints. Fast walking is good, as is swimming and cycling. It needs to be hard. You're a man, you can take it.

With good cardio, your body can more efficiently supply blood and oxygen to your muscles (and brain), which is necessary for the next step.

Step 3: Resistance training.

Weights. Get a personal trainer to get you started with proper form. Work all the muscles, with lots of repetition, and full range of motion. Concentrate on activating the muscle you are targeting, feeling it work through the full range of motion. Look at it, watch it, feel it. Leg and core strength are key. Make it burn. Feel your feet on the ground. Center your gravity and balance on your well-planted feet for every exercise. Stretch as much as you flex. 3 times per week.

This takes discipline, but once you get used to it and see the reuslts, you won't want to go back. 6 months should get you on the right track.

At 38, it's pretty much now or never.

Last edited:
Going to the gym alone won't help much. Go there 3 times a week usually, but only because my wife "motivates" me. ;-) I started losing weight only after a mild diet (protein shake instead of some meals, less alcohol, generally eating less).
Currently I'm losing around 1kg per week.

@tep:
Did you need less weight for diving afterwards? I calculated a decrease in buoyancy of 0.8kg for my desired loss of 15kg body weight.

I dropped about 4-6 lbs I think. I'd have to go find my logbook. It's in San Diego, I'm in Amsterdam for another few days. Brrrrrrrr.

The secret to losing weight: Take in less calories than you burn.

Yep simple as that.

Fitness for diving includes being weight proportional and being aerobically fit.

Stop eating so much, change your bad eating habits and RUN FOREST RUN!, you don't ever need to see the inside of a gym if you RUN 2-6 miles weekly and eat right and eat less. And your SAC rate will be amazing for diving.
upload_2017-1-25_11-6-16.jpeg

Step 1: Diet.

Eat less, and not late at night. Your are getting old
:shocked::shocked:WHAAAATTTT???????? 38 is NOT old. LOL. 85-90 is older. 100 is old. :thumb:
(And yes, I'm just having fun here, not a flame for sure.)

@Murky Waters Your workout plan is pretty much like a second job, and at 38 the guy probably has a family already. Not that one can't physically work out like this at 38. I knew Steve, a guy just like that. I was into mountain biking back then, with buddy Frankie, and Steve joined us sometimes. After 1.5-2 hrs of racing and log-jumping me and Frankie were pretty much wasted, but for Steve this was just a warm up. He'd go to gym, or play ice hockey till midnight, and he did this every day. But despite being a good looking guy, no girlfriend stayed with him longer than 2 months. Bottom line, such workout schedule, 3 days of serious aerobics plus 3 days of serious gym training is incompatible with normal life, unless you are single. You can't have your job, your family, and your 3+3 training at once, unless your wife takes your family responsibilities completely upon her (if you make, say, $150K+, she does not work and is happy spending the nights with you but days separately).

However, this is completely unnecessary. 2+2 will work just fine, especially, if your gym sessions are not as long as 1 hr. Muscle training doing multiple reps is completely useless if you are not a boxer or karate fighter. Trying to work out all muscles is just as useless. Just 2 basic exercises will be enough, deadlift or squat, and bench press. Never waste your time doing exercises that isolate muscles, like biceps curls, triceps extensions, leg curls, etc. Live this to pro bodybuilders. Strength, that's what counts in our normal lives. And to be strong you have to do 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps with heavy weights, with 3-5 min intervals between the sets. You stretch in intervals, so no time is wasted. Half an hour, and you are done. If you buy your own weights you save both time and money. The 3d exercise, pull ups, can be squeezed into your schedule simply by doing one set after your mandatory morning warm-up and one before dinner, that's enough.

So instead of 3+3 do 2x0.5 hr weights+ 2x1 hr aerobics training, plus a 10 min morning warm up. Moreover, once you get into shape, you can do aerobics just once a week but a bit longer, 1.5 hrs.

Last edited:
I only run when being chased!

He is a man approaching middle age that wants to lose weight. I am a middle aged man who has been there, done that. I was only trying to help by passing on what worked for me. I have a job and a family, and taking a hour or two a day to keep myself healthy makes me better at both.

@Murky Waters Your workout plan is pretty much lke a second job, and at 38 the guy probably has a family already. Not that one can't physically work out like this at 38. I knew Steve, a guy just like that. I was into mountain biking back then, with buddy Frankie, and Steve joined us sometimes. After 1.5-2 hrs of racing and log-jumping me and Frankie were pretty much wasted, but for Steve this was just a warm up. He'd go to gym, or play ice hockey till midnight, and he did this every day. But despite being a good looking guy, no girlfriend stayed with him longer than 2 months. Bottom line, such workout schedule, 3 days of serious aerobics plus 3 days of serious gym training is incompatible with normal life, unless you are single. You can't have your job, your family, and your 3+3 training at once, unless your wife takes your family responsibilities completely upon her (if you make, say, $150K+, she does not work and is happy spending the nights with you but days separately).

However, this is completely unnecessary. 2+2 will work just fine, especially, if your gym sessions are not as long as 1 hr. Muscle training doing multiple reps is completely useless if you are not a boxer or karate fighter. Trying to work out all muscles is just as useless. Just 2 basic exercises will be enough, deadlift or squat, and bench press. Never waste your time doing exercises that isolate muscles, like biceps curls, triceps extensions, leg curls, etc. Live this to pro bodybuilders. Strength, that's what counts in our normal lives. And to be strong you have to do 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps with heavy weights, with 3-5 min intervals between the sets. You stretch in intervals, so no time is wasted. Half an hour, and you are done. If you buy your own weights you save both time and money. The 3d exercise, pull ups, can be squeezed into your schedule simply by doing one set after your mandatory morning warm-up and one before dinner, that's enough.

So instead of 3+3 do 2x0.5 hr weights+ 2x1 hr aerobics training, plus a 10 min morning warm up. Moreover, once you get into shape, you can do aerobics just once a week but a bit longer, 1.5 hrs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom