Starting to workout

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sugar and alcohol go to the waist. they enter bloodstream fast and drop out first chance they get, at the tummy. High carb/fat foods get distributed all over the body, so depends where you are carrying weight on what you could cut first.
Exercise first thing in morning get you rev'd up for the day. I also have a treadmill in front of TV and this makes exercise go by so much faster, especially watching SCUBA drama like Abyss, or Jaws!

Good for you! I'd describe myself as something of a sloth before I got into diving, except for when I was on the shooting range. :D I finally joined a gym (LA Fitness) right after Christmas and I try to do 3 days a week of laps for at least 30 minutes. I do the laps in mask, snorkel, and fins with a kick board. Reason for this is two fold: I want to get some cardio that's easy on my knees (my doctor actually told me the best exercise for me is swimming) and helps me with my diving kicks.

I'm the entertainment for the people in the hot tub while I'm doing laps, but I've gotten to talk to some people about diving who said they've always wanted to try it. A woman my age (late 40s) said I looked "cool" with all my black gear. She said she was really tempted to try diving, and I encouraged her to do a Discover Scuba to see if she liked it or not.

There's one huge benefit to the laps I'd never considered: my hips have been very tight for years and even massage didn't do much. Now, I am wonderfully loose.

The secret to losing weight: Take in less calories than you burn.

I don't drink alcohol so that is something that I don't have to worry about. My biggest issue is I like to eat...a lot. My fitness pal has me needing at just under 2000 calories per day for my desired weight loss. My guess for a normal day for me before starting this was probably around 3500 -4000 calories, probably more on the weekends. I started Saturday, and the past three days have been tough sticking to < 2000, but it is possible. Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

Good for you! I'd describe myself as something of a sloth before I got into diving, except for when I was on the shooting range. :D I finally joined a gym (LA Fitness) right after Christmas and I try to do 3 days a week of laps for at least 30 minutes. I do the laps in mask, snorkel, and fins with a kick board. Reason for this is two fold: I want to get some cardio that's easy on my knees (my doctor actually told me the best exercise for me is swimming) and helps me with my diving kicks.

I'm the entertainment for the people in the hot tub while I'm doing laps, but I've gotten to talk to some people about diving who said they've always wanted to try it. A woman my age (late 40s) said I looked "cool" with all my black gear. She said she was really tempted to try diving, and I encouraged her to do a Discover Scuba to see if she liked it or not.

There's one huge benefit to the laps I'd never considered: my hips have been very tight for years and even massage didn't do much. Now, I am wonderfully loose.
Swimming with your snorkel gear is going to help your diving more than you probably expect. Ditch the kick board ASAP and also do some laps on your back to really work on the hamstrings. I hit the pool twice a week normally and do freestyle with a snorkel and mask.

Not really a workout per say, but part of an active lifestyle. Hiking 3-4 miles wading through water and balancing on rocks isn't exactly a walk in the park.
Sure. But only if you don't pack any sandwiches with you :)

Also at 6'4, at about age 53, I was carrying 235 lbs as you are, the most I'd ever weighed. About 14 teachers were having a weight loss contest and they let me in (most were female which apparently makes a difference because the formula credited them with more weight loss.) Can't remember how many weeks it lasted, thinking about 12, with weigh-ins once a week. Paid a dollar for missing weighing or no loss. The only things I did were:

* continue playing tennis 3-5 times a week
* quit drinking regular pop
* quit eating candy
* quit eating fast food, but didn't diet
* ate 1 bowl of cereal for breakfast, instead of keeping box and milk on the table with me!

Last day of school and final weigh in: I had dropped to 208 lbs and more importantly won $80!

About 9 months later I stopped to get gas and bought a fountain Coke. Before I got home, I had stopped and bought a 12 pack of Coke. Weight went to about 225 by age 57 when I retired.

Got 3 smalls tears in my Achilles playing tennis. When I finished PT, I started going to the gym to continue own my own. Used my Fitbit and the My Fitness Pal app to count calories. Went back done to 210 which was my goal. Quit the gym after a year. Because of some aches and pains I have limited my tennis playing and my weight, at age 61, now fluctuates between 220-224.

Think I need to start a plan again. I want to be able to easily bend down and put my fins on!

Sugar and alcohol go to the waist. they enter bloodstream fast and drop out first chance they get, at the tummy. High carb/fat foods get distributed all over the body, so depends where you are carrying weight on what you could cut first.
Exercise first thing in morning get you rev'd up for the day. I also have a treadmill in front of TV and this makes exercise go by so much faster, especially watching SCUBA drama like Abyss, or Jaws!
The question of alcohol and weight is not an easy one. Alcohol is not used as building material but its oxidation yields 7.1 cal/g i e more than from sugars. So it is probably correct to say that alcohol may reduce fat oxidation by providing cheap alternative energy source. However, indisputable links between alcohol consumption and weight gain or loss have not been established to this day; there were even claims that moderate wine drinking helps losing weight. See reviews here and here, for example.

moderate wine drinking helps losing weight. See reviews here and here, for example.

Everything in moderation, like a single glass of red wine, three times per week, or dark chocolate Occasionally, are reported to be good for the soul.

Primarily giving up regular soda (I have very bad reactions to artificial sweeteners so I stay far away from them) helped me lose 20 lbs in 2 years without really noticing it! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom