Starting to plan a trip to Truk/Chuuk - help please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Total of 57 dives in the 17 days I was there, between 14 days on Odyssey and three days at Blue Lagoon.
With all my respect to you intensive schedule, mate, 57 dives divided by 17 days gives us
approximately 3.35 dive/day. You did couple breaks? From here we may start "dive count approximation", where "approximately 3.35 equals approximately 4", of course :)

March 10, 2009
Good on you and good luck.
And - Thanks! :) Got that in my "memories" list.

Sure, you've got your reason for the schedule, and no questions for planning.
Simply I am not the one who may suggest the same profile and intensity for diving in Truk. :no:

With all my respect to you intensive schedule, mate, 57 dives divided by 17 days gives us
approximately 3.35 dive/day. You did couple breaks? From here we may start "dive count approximation", where "approximately 3.35 equals approximately 4", of course :)

Sorry for not being sufficiently accurate, mate...

I was in Truk for a TOTAL of 17 days, including the day I arrived, the Sunday between the two weeks on the Odyssey, and the Sunday after I deboarded. So, in doing that math I calculate 14 days of diving...blah, blah, blah...so you may start your "dive count approximation" there.

Last edited:
The question and statement the above probably require the answer for the following question: How often you want to see the barochamber after that?

Come one, you've picked up the wrong example, mate.:wink: There are two intacted destroyers in a lagoon and both - sorry to say that - are outside the "5 dives per day" window:

- Fumitsuki's depth starting on 33 msw. And "starting" here means "your are able to see something from above", as the visibility at that site is not great at all, obviously, due to site location and marine environment. This wreck can not be covered with single 5-10 minutes BT dive, unless you are totally agree to waste your time and money on the useless dive and just got a "tick" in a log "John'been'there". Planning Fumitsuki you are planning either one solid 35 msw dive (with couple of drops to 39 for 1-2 minutes time) for 35-40 minutes BT (twin sets), or two 20 minites time for the same depth (single tank). I say again, take your planning software and compare the reality of that dive with number of following to complete your dreaming "5 per day".

- Oite. I consider this wreck is absolutely off-topic for this thread. "Just because". However (I think many from those who been there will agree), in most cases the dive you can do after visiting Oite is related to something really 20 msw max on 50% Nitrox or :coffee: (coffee on a shore, if you are not sure what's in a cup).

And within the above - there is nothing to do with "attitude", BTW. Truk Lagoon is extremely diver friendly environment in terms of water temperature, visibility and current. And it has barochamber as well ... if someone used to use.

Gents, sorry for saying that, but, please, stop bull****ting people and promoting "5 dives per day in Truk Lagoon". "5 dives per day" is partially acceptable for direct DC advertisement only, but is has nothing to do with Truk wreck diving reality. Even 4 dives per day is too much. 3 per day sounds more real, assuming 1 deep and two following shallow on reach Nitrox (this schema from 4-5 to 7 day). Planning "two per day" will probably force many of reasonable divers to start look at you as potential buddy.

Anyway, all the above is strongly IMHO. Meantime and just for improve my diving understanding: I will take a look with all my pleasure on a dive plan for wreck diving for "5 dives per day" in Truk - is anyone wanna to share? :D

I found some old logs of one of my thorfinn trips, the shortest dives of the day were usually the last one and were all around 35-40 minutes, most of the others were in the range of 45 mins to 1:15

on my last trip when I cut back to 3 dives a day, all the dives were over 1 hr with the first dive of each day around 2 hours.. on one of the dives (it was either the aiokuku or san francisco maru) we found some industrial o2 cylinders in the sand (about 10-15m off the wreck) that it looked like someone lost (they were in very good shape)

If you dive the right mixes and plan your profiles ahead of time you can safely do 5 dives a day (I would NOT do 5 dives a day on air)..

BTW with a 36% mix the NDL is 30 minutes for a 30m dive, plenty of time for most people to explore, if you want to go a bit deeper and dont mind a little bit of deco you lean up the mix a bit...

for a first time diver to Chuuk and experienced guide is a must to get the most out of each site, many of them have specific routes that will alow you to see whats best to see on each wreck... Personally I do alot of solo diving in Chuuk as I know what areas I generally want to investigate further and in certain cases the guides don't want to go to....

I certainly hope the Thornfin has the ability to blend the nitrox to specifications. 32% wouldn't work on many dives.

Having lived on Chuuk I think the post by KpoxaAU is one of the most accurate I've ever seen. If you can do 5 dives a day, you aren't seeing the best parts fo most of the wrecks and/or you're really pushing the limits of daily repetitive diving.

The Thornfin is run by a guy that some people just can't stand. Others find him interesting. I never met him but heard lots and lots of stories. Interesting if nothing else.

They make nitrox by partial pressure blending, so any mix you desire... Lance is an interesting fellow, I personally like him alot but I can see reasons why others might not.. I know some people get thrown off by the big age difference between him and his wife, but thats normal for that part of the world...

I judge any liveaboard by the following rule

a) Do I feel safe on the ship? am I confortable?
b) Do I feel safe with the dive operation?
c) Am I going to get sick eating the food, and is there enough?

Variety of foods is normally not a concern when I'm going to remote locations as I know how difficult it can get procuring supplies...
I expect to have fish at least a few times a week as thats the easiest supply to procur..
I expect to try several local dishes and expect to like some and really dislike others...

Women travelling to micronesia will also probably feel more confortable on a liveaboard especially if they want to tan their legs, an exposed thigh is very sexual to the micronesion men at least as much as most westerners view an exposed breast..

very interesting thread, glad I found it. When I did my initial search awhile back not one thread came up with "truk", but today I got dozens. :wink:

From what I am reading here, land-based with Truk Stop sounds like it would fit our trip needs best of all the options.

Question - when doing a trip with Truk Stop, does a DM go into water with divers? Are tech divers mixed with rec divers on same boat? Is that possible? I shoot video and will be happy staying on outside of most recs, never going below 100' while my hubby will want to go deeper, tech stuff, yada yada.

robin:D

very interesting thread, glad I found it. When I did my initial search awhile back not one thread came up with "truk", but today I got dozens. :wink:

From what I am reading here, land-based with Truk Stop sounds like it would fit our trip needs best of all the options.

Question - when doing a trip with Truk Stop, does a DM go into water with divers? Are tech divers mixed with rec divers on same boat? Is that possible? I shoot video and will be happy staying on outside of most recs, never going below 100' while my hubby will want to go deeper, tech stuff, yada yada.

Yes . . .you can stay shallow at recreational depths & video, while your hubby can go deep and inside --best most colorful soft & hard coral/fish life wreck for that is the 500 foot long Shinkoku Maru Tanker (Superstructure at 40'; Deck at 65' and Bottom at torpedo hole around 130').

Email dive op manager Kelvin Davidson, and let him know what kind of arrangements you require: Welcome To Truk Stop Hotel and Dive Center's Exclusive Website. Truk Stop Hotel and Dive Center | Truk Lagoon Dive Center, truk lagoon diving, truk stop hotel, truk stop, truk stop hotel chuuk, chuuk lagoon diving, truk lagoon, truk lagoon tours, tru

Last edited:
thanks!

so, from what I have been reading, some people say that the Odyssey is no more expensive than diving from land-based, I am guessing because of food. Did you find that to be true? Did you find the technical aspect of Truk Stop more efficient and serves your needs better as a diver? Just trying to see what works best for us.

I contacted the Odyssey and it looks like they have some spots available in 2011, but not many if we decide to go that route.

For some reason this forum wasn't indexed by the search engine until recently - I was looking for a post I knew I put here and couldn't find it via search. Mentioned to the mods and they fixed it.

Having done land-based and Odyssey-based, I can't see going all that way and not doing Odyssey to be honest. Only reason to do Truk Stop - as Kev is wont to point out - is if you need HE.

Beyond that, the Odyssey is the best dive op I've ever used, the best liveaboard I've ever done, and the nicest/most attentive crew.

Pure diving freedom. As long as the boat is not moving, you can go diving.

The cabins are EASILY 50% larger than the size you'll find on a PH or Aggressor boat.

You get more dives per day (4) while on the liveaboards, with a wider variety of the more colorful wrecks in the recreational/AOW deep range, of which Truk Odyssey liveaboard is my favorite. As RJP wrote, go to Truk Stop if you & your hubby need helium for trimix, and an experienced technical guide for the deeper less often visited wrecks, or extended incursions inside hulls/superstructures requiring the use of a penetration reel.

You get more dives per day (4) while on the liveaboards, with a wider variety of the more colorful wrecks in the recreational/AOW deep range, of which Truk Odyssey liveaboard is my favorite. As RJP wrote, go to Truk Stop if you & your hubby need helium for trimix, and an experienced technical guide for the deeper less often visited wrecks, or extended incursions inside hulls/superstructures requiring the use of a penetration reel.

I'm not sure I agree that you visit a wider variety of wrecks on the Odyssey. Both Truk Stop and Blue Lagoon will take divers to any and all wrecks in the lagoon. The statement about the experienced technical guide at Truk Stop has been true for the last couple of years but can't be depended upon. I'm sure the current manager (tech guide) has just about had enough of Truk and Truk Stop. Most of the guides on Truk aren't even DM's and most aren't even certified divers. They are excellent guides however.

If you have the money, I'd do the Odyssey but you can save money if you watch what you eat especially at Truk Stop which is very near a couple of grocery stores.

Back
Top Bottom