Starting to plan a trip to Truk/Chuuk - help please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was on Thorfinn few years ago, pretty good.
I believe the boat have been refitted because of ....hitting a submerged reef somewhere?
Returning next week for more fun.
There is no way that I can do 5 dives a day.

No Corona? That was one of the beers foisted on us during our Odyssey week, but most of us were from SoCal and preferred the more exotic, i.e. Heinekin! We went through the Heine supplies so fast that they had to resupply midweek.

Ah...but if you give them enough notice, they'll stock whatever you like.

PS - they did have Corona on the boat, but at Blue Lagoon it was Coors Light for me. (note: I don't like beer much, hence my preference for Corona, Coors Light, etc)

If anyone from your group is using frequent flier miles for the trip, book the flights at the earliest time the airline will allow.

Once again everyone - awesome responses and I greatly appreciate all the continued help ... my only concern is that this trip is going to get me hooked and I'm going to have start planning on multiple trips.

I understand that the odyssey books up fast and that I should be (and I am) planning well over a year in advance. I am curious for those that have done this trip, how much time in advance did you leave before you booked your flights? For example - I'm looking at booking on the odyssey for August 2011 - should I be booking my flights now as well (I doubt it), or 6 months out, or some other time frame?

If anyone from your group is using frequent flier miles for the trip, book the flights at the earliest time the airline will allow.

And then continue to watch "fares" from a points perspective on the Onepass site; when I did my trip the number of points required changed after I booked, and I was able to swap my original free roundtrip ticket for First Class out (Newark-Tokyo-Guam-Truk) and back (Truk-Guam-HNL-Newark) for FEWER points than my original free coach ticket. Go figure!

PS - they did have Corona on the boat, but at Blue Lagoon it was Coors Light for me. (note: I don't like beer much, hence my preference for Corona, Coors Light, etc)
You mean you don't like beer much because you only drink Corona, Coors Light, etc. I'm sure there's a beer for you out there.

I don't recall the wine on the Odyssey, but I do remember the foul Filipino booze - the one night I switched to gin & tonic from beer left practically left me paralyzed the next morning and I didn't feel right again until the nitrox kicked in at 100' or so.

You mean you don't like beer much because you only drink Corona, Coors Light, etc. I'm sure there's a beer for you out there.

No - the opposite. I don't like beer much...so I drink Corona, Coors Light, etc.

:D

I don't recall the wine on the Odyssey, but I do remember the foul Filipino booze - the one night I switched to gin & tonic from beer left practically left me paralyzed the next morning and I didn't feel right again until the nitrox kicked in at 100' or so.

The wine was good Aussie and NZ stuff - Shiraz, Cab, Sauv Blanc, Chard, etc.

Not sure when you were there, but last March the liquor (gin, vodka, rum, etc) was all mid-level or better stuff you'd find at a US/UK bar.

heh-heh . . .that is staying at the Trukstop as the gas source for blending, with purchased supply from Sacramento.

If y'all want the nice ambiance of the Blue Lagoon Resort, that's great and fine. Gradwin Aisek is a nice fellow, and has the most interesting memorabilia at Blue Lagoon Dive Shop, with fun stories to tell about his great father Kimiuo. But if you want the better equipment and gas support for the deeper wrecks, go with Trukstop Hotel.

Better equipment???????? Are you kidding? If you want good equipment, bring your own.

(note: I don't like beer much, hence my preference for Corona, Coors Light, etc)

Americans are always strangely insecure about the quality of their own beers. I have drunk a lot of beers from a lot of places, and I still maintain Coors Light is one of the finest in the world. The Dutch/German brewing reputation is overblown.

Better equipment???????? Are you kidding? If you want good equipment, bring your own.
Not kidding . . .(been to Trukstop Oct'08; Jan'09 and Nov/Dec'09).

If you're comfortable with your own tanks, manifold & bands, there's a DHL shipping office on the road between the airport and Trukstop (DHL website says three days transit time from mainland US). . . arrange delivery with whatever dive op you go with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom