Starting PADI Tec-40 - first Tec course, any advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because then it'd be just like many other specialties, taught by people who have no clue?

Not everyone is entitled to teach every specialty. To teach the cavern specialty, for example, you must have full cave certification. To teach the TecReational Diver course mentioned above, you must have an appropriate technical diving certification. If you are building a new certification, you can include any limitation that makes sense to make sure that the instructor is qualfied to teach it.

I searched the pro site and couldn't find the tech specialties mentioned. But PADI's pro site is badly disorganized and in need of an upgrade but that's for a different discussion.

Why isn't there a distinctive PADI specialty similar to GUE Fundies? It seems that the PPB specialty doesn't measure up to the standards of GUE Fundies in terms of trim, propulsion techniques, buoyancy, etc.

It's not all that hard to find, at least for Tech Basics. Training Essentials > TecRec > "PADI Distinctive Specialty Templates" Direct link (login required)

---------- Post added July 11th, 2015 at 08:26 PM ----------

Because then it'd be just like many other specialties, taught by people who have no clue?

Not necessarily, the PADI Tech Basics distinctive specialty requires you be a PADI Tec Instructor to apply as well as a sidemount instructor (if teaching in sidemount).

the PADI Tech Basics distinctive specialty requires you be a PADI Tec Instructor to apply as well as a sidemount instructor (if teaching in sidemount).

Good to know that there's a limitation.

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies - this forum is great for being so responsive. Thought i'd post a little update from Thailand. The instructor i chose to train here was both a PADI & TDI tec instructor - after a long discussion, couple of fun dives with him and after he let me flip through both PADI & TDI manuals, we decided to go down the TDI route for my Tec pathway. The instructor gave me the choice as for him it didn't matter from a teaching perspective - his expectations for a Tec candidate was the same. However, I found the structure & progression of the TDI curriculum better suited for me.

On Sunday, I completed my TDI Intro to Tec, Advanced Nitrox & Decompression Procedures courses (believe this is equivalent to the PADI 45 with respect to the allowable depth). I would be doing a couple of Tec fun dives to 45 m this week to gain more experience. I also bought Tec fins as per the instructor's advice and will be using it on all dives going forward (tec or not) - the same goes with maintaining TRIM, using frog kicks, back kicks & helicopter turns.

My experience with this course changed my perception of what good diving means. It made me realize a lot of people I know who claim themselves to be experienced & good divers are actually not. Good diving is all about solid fundamentals - buoyancy, TRIM, fin propulsion techniques and not forgetting the basic skills you learn (S-drills, valve drills, deploying SMB, gas switch procedures, buddy breathing bottom gas/deco gas etc). One good thing being an engineer, i loved the manual dive planning calculations - i think it is important to develop a feel for the numbers and not just rely on what your dive planning software churns out for you.

To summarize my experience - wow, it was like doing my first open water diver course again! Tec diving requires strong fundamentals and a good instructor will expose your flaws & work with you to improve them. Be prepared to put in all the hard work coz it would be a hectic week managing the dives & knowledge reviews. Good luck to everyone out there who plans to venture into the world of tec diving - definitely will make you a better diver.

Cheers,
Anand

Anand sounds like a great time. All the hard work pays off

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom