Starting PADI Tec-40 - first Tec course, any advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This discussion is precisely why I push and push the GUE Fundamentals class for people who are considering going on to tech or cave training. Learn the basic skills in shallow open water . . . then you can really focus on what's important in your next phase of training.

I don't think anyone should present for a tech or cave class who can't hover in place and do the Basic 5. But that is not to say that doing that is easy -- it's just that the work to get to that point can be done by anyone, and does not require an instructor, just some background information and some diligent practice.
What if you called tech 40 "intro to tech"? Would that fix it? Tech 40 is really an intro course and not at all "real" tech diving. Most of my Tech 40-level dives were within NDLs of other tables. Also, if a first-level tech course is air and nitrox mixes, there is very little to learn beyond the basic 5 and some planning and buoyancy and a NOTOX switch. In GUE, where you go straight to helium, it is different. In most other agencies, there are 3 courses before helium is added.

GUE Fundamentals was created as a class to take prior to taking the cave classes. That was a good idea. I think such classes ought to exist in all agencies. There is a class like that in the PADI set of courses, but it is a Distinctive Specialty only taught by a handful of instructors. My last tech student had taken that class prior to taking his tech program, and he was very solid from the start and breezed through the tech class.

John, what is the name of that Padi distinctive specialty you refer to?

John, what is the name of that Padi distinctive specialty you refer to?

TecReational Diver.

What if you called tech 40 "intro to tech"? Would that fix it? Tech 40 is really an intro course and not at all "real" tech diving. Most of my Tech 40-level dives were within NDLs of other tables. Also, if a first-level tech course is air and nitrox mixes, there is very little to learn beyond the basic 5 and some planning and buoyancy and a NOTOX switch. In GUE, where you go straight to helium, it is different. In most other agencies, there are 3 courses before helium is added.

No, because the curriculum is pretty different. Fundamentals doesn't even pretend to teach you how to tech dive.

No, because the curriculum is pretty different. Fundamentals doesn't even pretend to teach you how to tech dive.

Tec 40 really has a tremendous amount of dive theory in it, and students go surprisingly far into tech diving skills in the class--far more than you would expect in an Intro to Tech Class. Like too many other classes, it assumes you have the basic buoyancy, trim, and propulsion skills down. In teaching it, I assume I have to add all of that to the curriculum

Well, all Tech40 does (officially) is pretend. You get a max of 10 minutes of unaccelerated deco and EAN50 max to add conservatism (you can't plan with EAN50). Other than that, you simply learn to think like a more thorough diver. Flat&neutral, intro to tech-style gear, planning dives, gas sharing while flat, simulated deco stops, propulsion techniques. From what I've read about Fundies, the curriculum is actually pretty similar. Tech40 is less intense, but very similar.

I think the big difference between the GUE mentality and the TecRec training scheme (and most non-GUE schemes) is how quickly you get Helium. When you get Helium mixes in Tech1, you're right to expect a much more squared away diver. But when it's your third or fourth tech class before adding Helium then I think the idea that everyone has to hold flat&neutral within 5-degrees and 6-inches (hyperbole) before even STARTING tech diving is a little strict. There's very little to learn in any aspect if doing deco dives without Helium if you've taken Fundies (or are good enough to pass).

From what I've read about Fundies, the curriculum is actually pretty similar. Tech40 is less intense, but very similar.
I don't think they are at all similar. In terms of dive theory, Tec 40 is much, much more intense.
I think the big difference between the GUE mentality and the TecRec training scheme (and most non-GUE schemes) is how quickly you get Helium.
This is true. Most agencies, I believe, withhold helium from training much too long.

GUE says no diving with an equivalent narcotic depth beyond 100 feet, which is totally different then other agencies which seem all cool with ~180 foot END.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom