Starting PADI Tec-40 - first Tec course, any advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From what I've read about Fundies, the curriculum is actually pretty similar. Tech40 is less intense, but very similar.
Not really. All fundamentals discusses is minimum decompression diving, which is what other organizations call NDL diving, and only to 100 feet/30 meters. There is detailed discussion of decompression, but only in terms of min deco diving. All ascent profiles assume you do not need an actual deco stop (and you are not taught anything about how to calculate actual deco stops). Fundamentals assumes you'll be using EAN32 (though they discuss air). There is no discussion of the use of using multiple gasses for diving other then briefly mentioning it in the discussion of standardized gasses. No reg switching other then between your primary and secondary in an s-drill, etc. There is a lot of academic content (and the written test is pretty involved), but the skills seem to be the really hard part for most people.

Apparently there are two such courses. I suspect there may be more.

I searched the pro site and couldn't find the tech specialties mentioned. But PADI's pro site is badly disorganized and in need of an upgrade but that's for a different discussion.

Why isn't there a distinctive PADI specialty similar to GUE Fundies? It seems that the PPB specialty doesn't measure up to the standards of GUE Fundies in terms of trim, propulsion techniques, buoyancy, etc.

I think the big difference between the GUE mentality and the TecRec training scheme (and most non-GUE schemes) is how quickly you get Helium. When you get Helium mixes in Tech1, you're right to expect a much more squared away diver. But when it's your third or fourth tech class before adding Helium then I think the idea that everyone has to hold flat&neutral within 5-degrees and 6-inches (hyperbole) before even STARTING tech diving is a little strict. There's very little to learn in any aspect if doing deco dives without Helium if you've taken Fundies (or are good enough to pass).

Do you mean quicker or slower with GUE?

While mostly irrelevant in the US although there is a BSAC Centre in Mexico....

The BSAC system includes decompression diving as the norm at all levels past the OW equivalent. Accelerated deco is about accelerating deco rather than learning it, then the first tech course is sports mixed gas which a two day course introducing helium. Mostly this doesn't give any extra depth, although that is due to change.

So it all depends on what 'tech' means.

With TDI you can do Helitrox which is helium straight away too.

I'd say that staying still midwater is important and is something many divers can't do, but necessary when doing some tasks.
You could also practice sending up the DSMB.

I know of a dive centre that uses PPB to improve trim, buoyancy, finning techniques, etc in a way that prepares the students for further diving. They are also GUE instructors.

There is no need for deep air with TDI nor IANTD.

Why isn't there a distinctive PADI specialty similar to GUE Fundies?

You asked this question earlier in this thread, and were told that there is one.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/te...-first-tec-course-any-advice.html#post7450731

---------- Post added July 11th, 2015 at 11:05 AM ----------

It seems that the PPB specialty doesn't measure up to the standards of GUE Fundies in terms of trim, propulsion techniques, buoyancy, etc.

The PADI PPB course I took did.

I searched the pro site and couldn't find the tech specialties mentioned. But PADI's pro site is badly disorganized and in need of an upgrade but that's for a different discussion.

Why isn't there a distinctive PADI specialty similar to GUE Fundies? It seems that the PPB specialty doesn't measure up to the standards of GUE Fundies in terms of trim, propulsion techniques, buoyancy, etc.
The problem is that there seems to be too many such courses. There have now been three mentioned in this thread. They are all Distinctive Specialties, submitted by individual instructors who see the need for it. The question is why PADI does not make it a regular specialty.

Last edited:
TheThe problem is that there seems to be too many such courses. There have now been three mentioned in this thread. They are all Distinctive Specialties, submitted by individual instructors who see the need for it. The question is why PADI does not make it a regular specialty.

Because then it'd be just like many other specialties, taught by people who have no clue?

Why isn't there a distinctive PADI specialty similar to GUE Fundies?

The TecReational Diver specialty mentioned earlier was developed by my husband for precisely this reason. He wanted to create a class that focused on precision and control, but was, as much as possible, gear agnostic. His standards, which are written, are similar to a rec pass from Fundies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom