Starting Open Water Classes in 2 weeks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check out the Aqua Lung Impulse 2 Snorkel. I love mine. It's real easy to clear. As far as mask goes that's a real personal fit item...you need to try some on at a LDS for proper fit. I'll let other people comment on fins as I am looking for a new pair myself.

Congratulations on a great decision. You won't be sorry.

1.) Mask - I hate the purge valve variety....my experience was constant leaking through the valve, never able to completely clear. Bought a non-purge that fit properly and problem solved.

2.) Fins - Much prefer the split fin over traditional paddle fin. In particular the Apollo Bio Fin Pro is much easier on the legs while generating more speed. I am much less tired at the end of the dive day and decrease my air consumption dramatically.

3.) Snorkle - Many people never use one once they complete their certification, so, buy inexpensive. Silly me, I paid $35.00 and now it just collects dust in my divebag.

4.) Booties - Buy good enough quality to give support to the bottoms of your feet coming up ladders with a lot of weight on your back.

The rest of the stuff you can usually rent through your Local Dive Shop (LDS). Most people agree that for BC and regulator you are better off if you try a few to find what works best for you and is the most comfortable, before making a buying decision.

Without a doubt you will get a few more responses with great advice and recommendations. This board is chock full of excellent folks.

Your off to a good start simply by getting on these forums and asking. You don't have to spend a fortune on equipment if you know what to buy and where to buy it. Don't get sucked in by your local dive shop who's only interest MAY be getting rid of their inventory. Learn everything on the web and tell them what you want -- don't ask. A dive shop owner/manager/cashier/instructor doesn't make them a surpreme authority in equipment (or training for that matter). If they don't want to work with you, there are plenty of good online shops with awesome prices and service.
That being said, my recommendations are as follows:

Mask: Low volume, good quality.
Snorkle: I don't own one, but I beleive they are required for your class (don't ask me why). I'd say get the cheapest out there (used) then toss it.
Fins: Scuba Pro Jet Fins
BC: Halcyon 27lb wing, harness, and aluminum back plate. Dive Rite will work, and I understand OMS now has a NON BUNGIED wing as well. Don't get a wing with bungie cords. This is my most important recommendation as this harness/BP/wing combo is unbelievable in simplicity and efficiency (and often times cost too). The last one you'll ever have to buy.
Tanks: 2-AL 80's
Regs: Apeks TX 100 with a TX40 back up. Donate the reg in your mouth and keep the back up on a bungie cord necklace around your neck. This is the second biggest peice off advice I know of.
Computer: I'd look around for a used Uwatec Aladin Sport or Pro.

That's it. Check the archives on various boards and read, read, read! Pay attention to DIR discussions. I recommend you at least learn about DIR, and if you don't like it -- fine, but at least you will have heard about it before you go out and buy $1300 in gear. I wish I had.

Some links:

http://www.gue.com -- Read equipment section.
http://www.wkpp.org -- Read equipment section and pics.
http://www.sfdj.com/dive/dir1.htm -- Download both DIR 1 and DIR 3. This is good stuff.
http://wrolf.net/index.html -- Scroll down and read all the hogarthian and DIR stuff.
http://www.sfdj.com/dive/dir1.htm -- DIR shop.

http://www.diveinn.com -- Good prices.

Good luck.

Mike

Lost Yooper said I recommend you at least learn about DIR, and if you don't like it -- fine, but at least you will have heard about it before you go out and buy $1300 in gear

If only it had been that reasonable :)

Ok..back to open water diving.

Mask...low volume is good...as long as it fits well. Check and make sure it doesn't "bump" you. You want to look between the eyebrows and the bridge of the nose. If you can feel pressure just by wearing it for a few seconds, then it will probably drive you crazy when you are in the water. Also, make sure you don't feel any pressure under the nose. A low volume mask is easier to clear, but if doesn't fit (ie. it doesn't make a seal when you breathe once through your nose) and it doesn't FEEL right, then it isn't the right mask for you.

Snorkel...if you are in an area where you will be doing alot of shore diving (therefore maybe a long swim to and from the dive site) invest in a decent snorkle. I have an Impulse snorkle, and I do think that is the best for snorkeling...but if you are going to be doing mainly boat dives, just get a cheap one without a purge.

Boots...depends again on where you are going to be diving. You don't want them to fit tight. If you toes are pushing against the end, they are too tight. You want to have a little room to move...but not too much (as in a size too big) If there is too much room, you will get blisters.

Fins...First, get you booties before you decide on fins. The boots determine how the fins fit. Scubapro Jet Fins are wonderful..but they take ALOT of leg strength to use. They are hard on your knees and ankles if you are not used to them. Split fins are wonderful, but they are also high priced. If you are planning on diving frequently, I would suggest going for the split fins, but only if they are comfortable. Look for any pressure point (in-step, heel) and make sure you can still move your toes without feeling pressure.

Hope this helps some. Your local dive shop should be able to help you with all this. I think the most important thing is comfort..if you aren't comfortable, you won't enjoy yourself. And, not everything works for everyone.

SHW,

A few suggestions --

(1) Online/print resources -- As mentioned above, there are a ton of on-line and print resources that can help you out with your gear choices. One good place to start is Rodale's Scuba Diving magazine/scubadiving.com. The recent print issue of Rodale's actually has a review of masks, providing comments and ratings for each one.

http://scubadivinxg.com/gear/

This link is for the scubadiving.com gear review page. Not much info on snorkels, but plenty on masks and fins. Some would argue that RSD is not 100% objective, since their financial well-being depends on the advertising $$$ spent by the firms whose gear they are reviewing......perhaps, but it is still a good place to start to start narrowing down your choices. This web-site also provides helpful hints on the things you need to consider when choosing each piece of gear rather than simply saying "this brand is the best". Bottom line -- just like buying a car, the more educated you are before you walk into the showroom/shop, the better purchase decisions you will make.

(2) Go to your local dive shops for advice -- make sure you check out as many shops as you can to understand the lines of gear they have, prices and advice. Some will take a lot of time without sales pressure to help you understand the gear choices you are contemplating. Some will tell you, "this is the mask for you" without a lot of reasoning (except it's what they have in stock).

(3) Talk to other divers -- see what they bought and why. Some like gear "because it looks cool" or it was what was what their local shop tols them to buy. Others have put a lot of time and effort into their choices. Also try and understand the types of diving you will be doing (and what type of diving the "recommender" is doing) to understand what will work best for you.

(4) Don't go cheap -- cheap gear will wear out quicker and will become obsolete quicker if you get into advanced forms of diving. You don't need to buy the MOST expensive type of gear, but don't buy the cheapest thing on the rack. As with anything else -- you pay now, or you pay later.

Hope this helps -- good luck.

second all of the above. especially the Jetfins. But dont rule out purge mask. I have a scuba pro tri vent and I love the mask. But I hear a lot of valves leaking but have not experienced this.

Here's what I found to work for me:
1)Mask - get whichever one fits really well. For me, the low volume Mares Ventosa fits well. To test for fit, what I did is hold my breath (basically preventing air flow through your nose, but not holding it with your fingers) and then without touching the strap gently push teh mask onto my face. Some masks held better than others. This doesn't mean to inhale through your nose - any mask will stick if you do that. This method helped me get a good fit.
2) Snorkel - after arguing with the sales guy that I didn't really need that $60 dry snorkel, I got aggravated and didn't buy one, and borrowed one from my brother. I gave it back to him after my cert class and haven't used one since. I dive mainly off my boat, and don't have much use for it. When swimming at the surface, it's far easier to swim on your back, which sorta makes a snorkel useless. If I'm just hovering at the top, my mouth works fine.
3) fins - I use Mares Plana Avanti. Not the cheapest, but far from the priciest. They work for me. I liked the feel of the force fins, and they felt like they needed less effort, but I didn't feel like I was getting that far. So far I've had no trouble with keeping up with everyone else. YMMV

Well,
like most said, get the cheapest snorkel, even if you gone be a snorkler,it's enough.

finns- i saw someone sugesting you buy the SB jet-dont!
it is not good for begginer divers, either go for medium quality ones or, if you want top of the line fins, the mares Volo, are great for begginers.

mask-get a good one, dosent matter the manufacturer, that sits comfortable and dosent pressure your nose or temples when you press it slightly against your face, or you will suffer from it in the water.

booties-the simple cheapest ones are the best, unless you are going to do more 100 dives a year, than you might consider investing in good ones.

rest of the equipment-i belive you will get the rest of the equipment from the place you do the course in.
if you want to buy complete set of equipment-do not buy the most beatifull wing bc you can see, wing BCs are lousy for recreational diving.

thats about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom