Starting down the DH rabbit hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes

Does it have a body ring for the can? As opposed to those dam clips that they used to come with. If it has the old clips do yourself a favor and get the body ring.

Thanks... Now I'll justify the cyclone as not much more than the general rebuild kit. Ahh, rationalizing scuba purchases!

With a HPR and Cyclone (and new silicone 2nd Stage diaphragm) you will have a great breathing DH! I have three AM with that configuration, one of which is a faux RAM (which also includes a duckbill Eliminator):

GsMfrA.jpg

IMHmtf.jpg

7QALBz.jpg

John,

Interesting theory and that is exactly what I suspected.

I am afraid that you are probably going to stand alone on that one, but to help you with your assumptions; the good thing is that there is minimal differential pressure across that seal. Even when you are doing a suction test, you are only applying minimal differential pressure. So if there are any air leaks, they would be miniscule or non-detectable.

A water leak would probably be also very small and inconsequential.

One interesting kind of academic issue is that you can actually get a water leak, due to the surface tension of water, even if you can’t detect an air leak. This is a common phenomenon on skylights and some window seals (that water will leak were an air test does not). The good thing is that the magnitude of the leaks is miniscule and any diver probably thinks it is just condensation.

Now, about your theory that the removal process is what breaks the gasket… you know that is incorrect. If the rubber gasket was not brittle it would not break apart by just unclamping it. Yes, the clamping action is holding the gasket together and if it is not disturbed, you are finding it good enough for you.

Your theory that only the outside exposed rubber is the only deteriorated part, you also know that is totally incorrect. If the elastomer (rubber) was still elastic, you can take it apart without breaking it. I have done it plenty of times with gaskets that have not deteriorated due to age.

I should add that I am a strong supporter of the concept that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but that is not exactly what we have here. I can see where someone might think so, but not really.
Luis,

I was just thinking through this, and I may have to take your advise about this.

However, I have a Trieste II which has been serviced twice since I bought it new in about 1975 which, to my knowledge, has never had this gasket replaced (while smaller, the gasket is very similar to the Aquamaster/RAM). It simply does not leak, either water or air, into the box.

My Sportsways Hydro-Twin Has had this gasket replaced, by me with one I had to cut out of a sheet myself. But rather than a ring, it has screws which hold the two pieces (body and can) together.
29292014898_7dac599570_k.jpg
IMG_2590 by John Ratliff, on Flickr

Thanks,

SeaRat

With a HPR and Cyclone (and new silicone 2nd Stage diaphragm) you will have a great breathing DH! I have three AM with that configuration, one of which is a faux RAM (which also includes a duckbill Eliminator):

View attachment 548394
View attachment 548395
View attachment 548396
So if adding the Phoenix first stage makes people call it a PRAM.... Are yours (and eventually mine) CRAMs?
By the way, that is one beautiful piece of chrome you got therr!

I prefer "Wolf in sheep's clothing"...

It has arrived! Because I totally need another project!
20191104_165256.jpg 20191104_165240.jpg
Now mi wife can truly tell me to get my DAAM reg off the kitchen table!
So far looks as described by the seller... I'll pull it apart today and place an order on VDH tomorrow (more than I paid for the reg!), but I put it on a 72 at 2200 psi and it free flowed. Reg body shifts on the can, so I'm assuming I will find a loose ring nut. C clips were in weird positions, and I found I could slide them around... Ring clamp is on the order list.
All in all, feels kind of like Christmas morning!

The chrome doesn't look bad. Those scratches are not bad. It is too bad someone had to engrave his initials on it, but at least it looks like it was professionally done.

The chrome doesn't look bad. Those scratches are not bad. It is too bad someone had to engrave his initials on it, but at least it looks like it was professionally done.
The engraving looks like a machine did it... As you say, very professional work. Just got the cans separated.... Everything is shockingly clean. I haven't pulled the wagon wheels out of the mouthpiece yet (is there a special way? Or just gently pull?), but the valves look perfect. So does the duckbill. Hoses look good, but they'll get a thorough cleaning and closer inspection tomorrow. The ring nut was only finger tight, so I removed the body from the can... I'd guess I'm probably 60% there towards getting it in the UC to prep for assembly.
On a whim I put the reg body on a tank and carefully cracke the valve... No freeflow, pressing the lever worked as advertised... So I put it back together, without return hose or C-clips, and it didn't freeflow. I think I could probably get away with a clean and reassemble on this thing... But I want to do it right (and buy the parts while the better half lets me!).
20191104_184152.jpg 20191104_184232.jpg 20191104_184246.jpg 15729156746562175219483287575601.jpg

Back
Top Bottom