Starting down the DH rabbit hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

James79

Reinventor of Wheels
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, I started tinkering originally on vintage metal single hose a while back because it was a cheap way to learn what I was doing.... ended up so satisfied with the gear (mostly Conshelf and SP MK5/108/109s) that I saw no need to buy any new-fangled plastic stuff. But it turned into a disease.... I have too much on the workbench, need to sell some to finance more, and the disease is progressing..... Ebay will be delivering a DA Aquamaster next week, produced in the Dehli factory according to the label.
So now, I need to figure out how to tackle this stage of the disease.... Seller listed it as having new hoses, non-returns, and duckbill. Original diaphragm and mouthpiece are claimed to be good. I cast no aspersions, I haven't even had it in hand yet, but my list of minimum parts so far is such:
Rebuild kit for 2 stage DH Store | Vintage Double Hose
Band Clamp Store | Vintage Double Hose
Silicone Diaphragm.... will this work without switching to HPR 2nd? Store | Vintage Double Hose

Wish list would include Phoenix or Cyclone and HPR from VDH... but my better half is not pleased already!

I don't see any video tutorials (like VDH did for the MK5, etc), but I did grab the manual and it doesn't seem to daunting... but I'm sure I'll be back for advice!

On a side note.... anyone in lower Alabama/Florida panhandle with DH experience? I would prefer to try the in water piece of this with a mentor on hand when the time comes!

Thanks in advance (and for all the info in old threads I've already used!)

James

Oh boy..... :popcorn:

Welcome to beyond the dark side......

Careful, they multiply like rabbits!
Like the dozen or so 1085s, half dozen 109s, handful of 108s, 15 or so 60s to 70s aqualung and SP first stages in my hobby room? (Really dear, I'm just buying a couple to learn on....)
Seriously, does anyone know if the VDH silicon diaphragm is ok with an original DAAM, or if there is a silicon replacement available?
v/r
James

the original diaphragm has tabs to align with the 2nd stage lever. if you don't do the HPR upgrade on the aquamaster, you will need to DIY tabs onto the replacement silicone diaphragm i believe due to the difference. but check with bryan.

scubamuseum seems to have a tabbed 2 stage us divers diaphragm

About Us

Like the dozen or so 1085s, half dozen 109s, handful of 108s, 15 or so 60s to 70s aqualung and SP first stages in my hobby room? (Really dear, I'm just buying a couple to learn on....)
Seriously, does anyone know if the VDH silicon diaphragm is ok with an original DAAM, or if there is a silicon replacement available?
v/r
James

I am afraid to actually count, but I know I have you beat....

BTW - I do suggest the HPR. Also, unless you have a banjo and long yoke, or plan to dive a j-valve, the Phoenix gets you a HP Port...

Thanks @runsongas and @rhwestfall
I happen to have rebuilt an aqualung valve with hp port that will go nicely on an old steel 72 (seems like it will be appropriate!). I do see a j-valve in my future, though, just because it appeals to my inner nerd.
And while many may have me beat on the old chrome collection.... My wife still thinks it's too much!
Sounds like I should just budget for the HPR upgrade and hide the credit card statement from her, lol.

Welcome to the club.

The hardest part I found in doing my DA was getting that ring that seals the regulator into the can loose. After that, it was just like doing a Conshelf.

The band clamp is a good idea. Makes adjustments a lot easier to do.

You can't replace the diaphragm with a silicone one from VDH unless you do the HPR with it. Unless your diaphragm has cracks or is stiff, it will probably work OK as it is.

I put a cyclone in mine because I wanted a balanced first stage. I'm really happy with the way it breaths. I use a long yoke and a banjo fitting for my hp gauge. A Phoenix would give you more ports, but it also costs a bit more,

Back
Top Bottom