Starting Classes Tomorrow - Advice Needed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A pushed-up mask is often a sign of a diver uncomfortable with their situation and their life-support equipment, beginning to lose control, and can most definitely be an early indicator of a panic spiral developing. It can often be be a reaction to some other precipitating problem that needs immediate correction or assistance.

Sometimes MOF is a sign of a fogged mask and the diver would like to see who they are talking to on the surface. Sometimes a train is just a train...sometimes a tunnel is just a tunnel...the light at the end of the tunnel is often a sign of a train. :D

As for equalizing - don't wait until you feel the need, but stay ahead of it. Once pressure develops on the internal passages of the inner ear, equalizing becomes physically harder or actually impossible. I will even "pre-equalize" at the surface. Don't hesitate to equalize "early and often."

This is very good advice... I would also add that your ears can be used as a very good indicator to your perception of depth. For example, if you're doing a wall dive with no bottom underneath you with the intention of cruising the wall maintaining a certain depth, it's sometimes easy to become distracted and not notice that you've gone deeper than your intended maximum depth. By maintaining good situational awareness and learning to listen to your body and feel the slightly increased pressure in your ears, it can remind you to re-check your depth and ascend if needed. The key is to always remain aware of what's going on around you and what your body is telling you.

BTW my wife got her OW cert. with SSI a long time ago while at university over a full semester. Like you, she had lots of different drills and exercises that were not necessarily required by SSI but were designed to increase her comfort level and dexterity in the water. Agencies will set the minimum requirements to successfully completely an OW cert. but it's really up to the instructors to go the extra mile beyond what's required and provide you with exceptional training and knowledge. It sounds like you are with a very good outfit and are learning these skills gradually and thoroughly... this will give you time to develop and build a strong foundation.

Thank you all so much for your very helpful advice, it is much appreciated!

On another note, wore the 3mm for the second pool class (not the first) and it was great! Not too hot, but also not cold at any point during class. Definitely a good call, thanks for all the comments on this!

Overall, I feel quite comfortable now that the initial nerves of the first class have subsided. Breathing underwater is just really, really fun even when in the shallow end of a swimming pool... I can't wait to continue practicing my skills and I promise not to take off my mask :wink:

---------- Post added April 20th, 2015 at 01:21 PM ----------

Agencies will set the minimum requirements to successfully completely an OW cert. but it's really up to the instructors to go the extra mile beyond what's required and provide you with exceptional training and knowledge. It sounds like you are with a very good outfit and are learning these skills gradually and thoroughly... this will give you time to develop and build a strong foundation.

Agreed! I think I lucked out with my dive center, they are great!

Sometimes MOF is a sign of a fogged mask and the diver would like to see who they are talking to on the surface. Sometimes a train is just a train...sometimes a tunnel is just a tunnel...the light at the end of the tunnel is often a sign of a train. :D

Then they can put it around their neck if they just want to see.

We teach all of our students NOT to put their mask on their head because it is a sign of distress. And just like people giving the thumbs up when they want to say OK, it needs to be corrected.

Of course, we mention it politely.

Then they can put it around their neck if they just want to see.

We teach all of our students NOT to put their mask on their head because it is a sign of distress. And just like people giving the thumbs up when they want to say OK, it needs to be corrected.

Of course, we mention it politely.

Your right to teach however you see fit and it's good you're polite about it.:) Unfortunately MOF seems to be one of the things new divers become an expert on and can't help but comment about (scuba police) even while their regs are mounted upside-down. IMHO, it's just silly and gives certain pesonality types something to lord over others and in general detracts from the good dive vibe without adding any real safety benefit. Maybe you can teach NMOF as an individual skill along with teaching students not to be a**hats about pointing it out to others. Now that would be a SKILL. :D

How would one mount a regulator upside down? I do not want to do that! One mistake I'd like to avoid ahead of time... It seemed to me like it could only really go one way, with the reg and octo on your right? Wouldn't everything be opposite otherwise?

How would one mount a regulator upside down? I do not want to do that! One mistake I'd like to avoid ahead of time... It seemed to me like it could only really go one way, with the reg and octo on your right? Wouldn't everything be opposite otherwise?

LOL...Yes it would. You sound like a good student. I doubt you'll have a problem. Good diving, be safe.:)

"Thanks for your advice re equalization, I appreciate the tips! Sometimes I feel like it is always going to be very difficult and perhaps on some days not possible with the left ear"

Try stretching your head and neck to the right, while equalizing, and it will help open the eustachian tube to the left ear. Also as a side benefit you will find a few ascents and descents will clear out your sinuses. ("You may think it's mucous, but it s'not...")

Also, don't sweat it! All these things become easier with familiarity and practice.

Your right to teach however you see fit and it's good you're polite about it.:) Unfortunately MOF seems to be one of the things new divers become an expert on and can't help but comment about (scuba police) even while their regs are mounted upside-down. IMHO, it's just silly and gives certain pesonality types something to lord over others and in general detracts from the good dive vibe without adding any real safety benefit. Maybe you can teach NMOF as an individual skill along with teaching students not to be a**hats about pointing it out to others. Now that would be a SKILL. :D

First I have to get them to stop putting their mask on their forehead. :D

Being that we dive off a boat most of the time, it's important for people to know that this makes people think that there is something wrong. If the boat crew see someone surface and put their mask on their forehead, it's either assume they are in distress or not and hope that they're not.

And I agree, scuba should be fun. There's no need to be a jerk about any of it unless you are putting others in danger.

"First I have to get them to stop putting their mask on their forehead.
04.gif
"

That's easy. During my IDC the rule was you had to buy a beer for everyone in the group, for each MOF. Stopped it dead!

Back
Top Bottom