Starting Classes Tomorrow - Advice Needed!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello :fish:

Passed my pool session one skills tonight! The class was great; I was the only student in pool 1 and so I had private instruction, which was really nice. There were lots of other more advanced students there and I definitely felt like the newbie but that's okay, everyone has to earn their stripes so to speak. One girl, another student I assume/hope, made a pretty rude comment while I was walking to the other side of the pool - I had my mask lifted up on my forehead (which I realize you are not supposed to do as it can be a sign of distress in the water - however, I was not in the water) and she muttered under her breath that the "first rule of scuba is never to lift your mask." Whatever...

The long swim was definitely a little tough, I hadn't swam so many laps in years! Fortunately, I made it through without making too much of a fool of myself lol. The float was definitely not what I was expecting - I can tread water forever without fins/snorkel but it took me a few tries to get used to the rolls. My instructor had me do 10 minutes of continuous rolling (for the float) with at least ten seconds on each face-down exhale and then a quick roll and inhale, then another ten seconds exhale. It was fine but definitely a bit of a challenge. All the other skill tests were much more familiar. We did handstands, which was fun. Working with the BC went well too. I am glad it wasn't too easy, I truly believe it is important to learn these skills in the pool vs. open ocean.

My instructor was very attentive and encouraging. I asked for his feedback during debriefing, we went through each skill, and he said I did very well and that I'm ready to move on to pool 2. :) Hooray! Hopefully next class I can make some friends...

My Aqua Lung ShotFX spring-back fins were really quite comfortable for a first-wear and felt good with the 6.5mm Ergo booties - so far so good! No leaking in my mask either. All good! Let me know what you all think - I'd love to know a bit more of what to expect for pool 2. It's not so much that I am nervous about the skills, though I always want to do well at everything, but I do like to be prepared of course.

All the Best - Olivia

Olivia, through what agency is the class you are taking? I ask because I have never heard of anyone having to do "rolls" during the tread. We teach under the aegis of PADI, and they definitely do not require it.

Hi :)

I am doing my certification through SSI, East Coast Divers. The first thing my fiancé's stepfather asked me, who is a veteran and well respected military man with over 1,000 dives under his belt, was why wasn't I doing PADI certification. However, from what I understand about PADI and SSI, is that they have similar standards and that the OWD certification is interchangeable between PADI and SSI and vice versa. Is this accurate?

The rolls were fine, it wasn't a big deal - I am there to learn, but I could see how for someone who maybe isn't quite as comfortable in the water as myself (and obviously I am no expert) it could have been a bit of a struggle. Maybe the instructor was trying to challenge me or see what I could do? After a few rolls, I got it down alright and my instructor noted during debriefing that my breathing had improved significantly by the end of the 10 minutes.

The course I am taking consists of two 2.5-3 hour lectures, a written exam (passed), six pool sessions, one open water snorkel, and four open water dives. So far I am really happy with the level of instruction and feel like I've learned a lot between the online material, lectures, and tonight's pool session.

The other skills were much easier and more familiar to me - flooding and clearing the snorkel, working with the BC, snorkeling and practicing my kick, bobbing etc. Really had a lot of fun! :)

---------- Post added April 16th, 2015 at 03:28 AM ----------

Though not sure what all the rolling was about! Maybe to be able to breath and float while maintaining exhalation for as long as possible?

I love the people that think one agency is better then the others. The fact is, the skills and requirements are basically the same. The only and most important factor is the instructor. A good instructor with any agency is all that matters.

It's been 20 years since I got certified through SSI and I don't recall having to do any rolling. I now help an SDI instructor and there is no rolling either. But, if he thinks it's a useful skill and you can do it, no worries. You'll probably never have to do it again anyways.

Hello :fish:

Passed my pool session one skills tonight! The class was great; I was the only student in pool 1 and so I had private instruction, which was really nice. There were lots of other more advanced students there and I definitely felt like the newbie but that's okay, everyone has to earn their stripes so to speak. One girl, another student I assume/hope, made a pretty rude comment while I was walking to the other side of the pool - I had my mask lifted up on my forehead (which I realize you are not supposed to do as it can be a sign of distress in the water - however, I was not in the water) and she muttered under her breath that the "first rule of scuba is never to lift your mask." Whatever...

The long swim was definitely a little tough, I hadn't swam so many laps in years! Fortunately, I made it through without making too much of a fool of myself lol. The float was definitely not what I was expecting - I can tread water forever without fins/snorkel but it took me a few tries to get used to the rolls. My instructor had me do 10 minutes of continuous rolling (for the float) with at least ten seconds on each face-down exhale and then a quick roll and inhale, then another ten seconds exhale. It was fine but definitely a bit of a challenge. All the other skill tests were much more familiar. We did handstands, which was fun. Working with the BC went well too. I am glad it wasn't too easy, I truly believe it is important to learn these skills in the pool vs. open ocean.

My instructor was very attentive and encouraging. I asked for his feedback during debriefing, we went through each skill, and he said I did very well and that I'm ready to move on to pool 2. :) Hooray! Hopefully next class I can make some friends...

My Aqua Lung ShotFX spring-back fins were really quite comfortable for a first-wear and felt good with the 6.5mm Ergo booties - so far so good! No leaking in my mask either. All good! Let me know what you all think - I'd love to know a bit more of what to expect for pool 2. It's not so much that I am nervous about the skills, though I always want to do well at everything, but I do like to be prepared of course.

All the Best - Olivia
Mask on forehead is not a sign of distress. It may be a sign that you don't care if a wave knocks it off or you don't care if it fogs up but that's about it. First rule of scuba is keep breathing. Next time you see this person intentionally make a big deal of shoving your mask up there. Then yell "help I is in distress, won't someone save poor little ol me?" Then laugh. Scuba should be fun.

Next time you see this person intentionally make a big deal of shoving your mask up there. Then yell "help I is in distress, won't someone save poor little ol me?" Then laugh. Scuba should be fun.

Haha, right? At least say "hi" first, jeez!

---------- Post added April 16th, 2015 at 12:40 PM ----------

My instructor did say I would never likely have to do the rolling again, fortunately! Though now I know I can do it if I needed, even if I can't imagine a scenario where that ever might be necessary, lol. As to SSI vs. PADI, there didn't seem to be much difference to me except perhaps at the most advanced levels. I do feel like the quality of instruction I've received so far has been pretty top notch, everyone has been very careful to explain each rule/skill in detail and answered every possible question - I also don't mind, and even like, having my limits pushed a bit.

Can't wait for pool 2! I do hope the other students are nice - I really would like to make a buddy or at least find someone I can trust to work with during practice. :goldfish:

Hi!

I just finished my second pool session for my OWD certification tonight and it was just great! It has been several years since I first put a regulator in my mouth and I must say it felt wonderful to do it again. I actually found the second session to be easier than the first - perhaps because I was a bit less nervous than in the first class.

We did different mask and regulator clearing skills, as well as regulator retrieval methods and mask removal, and a bunch of other stuff. It really was a lot of fun - maybe having a leaky mask all these years snorkeling has been helpful in some silly way since I really had no trouble with mask removal or clearing (I've since upgraded to a new, non-leaking mask for my scuba training).

We did also 30 second of breathing underwater with and without a mask, respectively. I have to say I really enjoyed the 30 seconds sans-mask. I wear contact lenses, so I told my instructor I'd need to close my eyes in order to avoid losing a lens and she said that was find and that she would pat me on the head when the time was up. I wish it had been longer - it was just so peaceful!

For both of my first two confined dives, I've had private instruction as I believe I am the only person in my "level" at the moment. There have been lots of other divers there each class, at more advanced levels than myself or taking free diving classes, etc., and it's really a very cool environment. I can't say that I mind having private instruction at all! It is great to be able to work with your teacher one on one; I've had a different teacher each time and both have been excellent.
icosm14.gif

I haven't had to much trouble with my ears yet but also haven't ventured into the deeper end of the pool, aside from the diving during the first pool session - only made it 8 feet without pain even after pre-equalizing and doing it on the way down. It is really the only thing still making me wary. I have, of course, been medically cleared to dive but I am definitely having "ear fears" - sigh, story of my life!

Only issue I'm really seeing so far is bending down while wearing all the equipment - I only weigh about 110lbs and it feels close to half my body weight. Standing and walking is okay, but when I went to pick up my mask my knees almost buckled! More squats?! lol

Anyways, it was SO MUCH FUN and I cannot wait to get back in the pool. Love, love, love it!

I hear you about the equipment! When I got certified, I was in trouble if I dropped anything, because no WAY could I pick it up off the ground. You will learn how to balance the gear and bend over, and you'll get stronger from lugging it around.

Without being dogmatic or unpleasant about the question, I would say that a mask being pushed up on a forehead is definitely a red flag, to an experienced instructor or dive leader responsible for monitoring the safety of their divers. Just as they will monitor many other behavioral clues, to forestall and prevent evolving emergencies.

A pushed-up mask is often a sign of a diver uncomfortable with their situation and their life-support equipment, beginning to lose control, and can most definitely be an early indicator of a panic spiral developing. It can often be be a reaction to some other precipitating problem that needs immediate correction or assistance.

It should not be confused with a deliberate distress "signal" but it can definitely be a "sign."

Also, students who continually lift their mask will find it fogs up as a result, making another problem to confront.

No one needs to be a dive-nazi about it, but I've learned to be much happier with divers who are relaxed and comfortable keeping their mask on their face until they are back on the boat.

As for equalizing - don't wait until you feel the need, but stay ahead of it. Once pressure develops on the internal passages of the inner ear, equalizing becomes physically harder or actually impossible. I will even "pre-equalize" at the surface. Don't hesitate to equalize "early and often."

Without being dogmatic or unpleasant about the question, I would say that a mask being pushed up on a forehead is definitely a red flag, to an experienced instructor or dive leader responsible for monitoring the safety of their divers. Just as they will monitor many other behavioral clues, to forestall and prevent evolving emergencies.

A pushed-up mask is often a sign of a diver uncomfortable with their situation and their life-support equipment, beginning to lose control, and can most definitely be an early indicator of a panic spiral developing. It can often be a reaction to some other precipitating problem that needs immediate correction or assistance."

Hey :snorkel:

I totally see your point, really, and I agree with you. To be fair, I was not in the water when this other student made the comment - I was walking to the other side of the pool with my instructor and honestly I was just trying to speak more clearly with him! I am very open to feedback and constructive criticism, especially in a sport such as diving where there are so many new and essential skills to learn. I guess I felt like it should have come from my teacher; if another student wants to say something to me I am happy to hear it but don't say it under your breath as I'm walking past, that is just weird/rude lol... Introduce yourself and say "Hey, I noticed that while you were walking you had your mask pushed up, just wanted to let you know..." and so on, right?

I can definitely see how someone ripping off one of their most important bits of gear in the water would be a red flag for any instructor! Second pool session was much more fun - no 'dive-nazis' haha :) Thanks for your advice re equalization, I appreciate the tips! Sometimes I feel like it is always going to be very difficult and perhaps on some days not possible with the left ear, which is part of what kept me from doing this for so long, but I kind of just made the choice not to let it hold me back. I'm just going to work as hard as I can with what I've got!

---------- Post added April 20th, 2015 at 12:02 PM ----------

I hear you about the equipment! When I got certified, I was in trouble if I dropped anything, because no WAY could I pick it up off the ground. You will learn how to balance the gear and bend over, and you'll get stronger from lugging it around.

Haha, I hope so because that stuff is HEAVY! :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom