Starting a Scuba Club in Fredericksburg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, it's more of a school wide club so I've been putting blurbs in the UMW weekly e-mail and hanging fliers around campus.

But whenever we do eventually plan dive trips, I'll let people know so they can be included. The meetings aren't all that exciting. Only 5 people showed up last night and listened to me babble (and show the opening sequence of Fool's Gold). Only a few are certified and those who aren't didn't show up.

Does anyone know anything about the Lake Rawlings diving instructors? Those who did show elected to go for that route. Pay them to bring all the dive gear here to school and have class all weekend then go down there for the certification dives the next weekend. It seems like a nice set up and it's significantly cheaper ($150) than the LDS.

As for the quarry, I have absolutely no idea. I'm not a local but if you do go, I'd be interested.

The vis at the quarry is pretty good, haven't been there in years. I really want to go but I think it's only open on certain days. Maybe when check out dives are going on. If it's open I am up for going the morning of Friday the 10th of this month.

I'd love to but I have class and I'm going home that afternoon. Next time!

I'm putting my son through the basic course at The Scuba Shack. They are in the Quarry pretty regularly with classes and permit others to come with them. His class is in there on October 25th and 26th. He even mentioned that he'd do a class on campus at the MWC pool if there were interest. I may even bring my gear on that weekend and hop in.

Hi all!

I did my Instructor course with Ralph Clark (NEW Owner of The Scuba Shack in Fredericksburg). He is a GREAT guy and a VERY experienced Instructor! He was doing a PADI Crossover but has been teaching SCUBA (SDI) for years.

I would strongly encourage you to get together with him for your training requirements and access to Rappahannock Quarry there and any rental equipment (tanks and fills) you may need.

I'd also be happy to attend and speak with your group about local diving available and some out of the ordinary stuff as well.

Check out my NEW fledgling Meetup group in Tappahannock as well:

Tappahannock Scuba Meetup Group (Tappahannock, VA) - Meetup.com

The small shop I am associated with is Right on your way to Lake Rawlings if you would also consider us for your training/equipment needs.

www.tricityscuba.com

caoline
how is the club thing going? have you made it to millbrook?

I have talked to Ralph Clark and he seems like a great guy.
Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any consecutive interest in the club. The first meeting was big, the second rather small. The third meeting this week looks like we'll only be having a few people come. I'm not quite sure I'll be able to sustain enough interest to make us a long lasting club, which is unfortunate. We'll see how this Thursday's meeting goes.

I think I recall you saying that a lot of people that showed up at the first meeting were people that were not yet certified. If this is true you should arrange with Ralph and his shop to see if you can schedule an open water cert. class that would be exclusive to your club. That would probably get a lot of people interested. Then once you have all those certified divers events need to be planned to keep them interested. It is starting to get cold so I don't know how many more open water classes are going to be going on at the scuba shack. This is the route I would take if I wanted to start a SCUBA club there. Another good idea would be a spring break trip. It can be something easy like going to the FW springs of FL or to the FL keys. It wil definitely spark interest in people if they actually see stuff happening.

I was deterred from my local SCUBA club because they never did anything. All they did was have meetings and talk. Getting people active other than just coming to meetings is the key from what I have seen.

I agree with active diving is required for a successful Dive Club to thrive.

Keep the meetings regular and stir up a little bit of excitement with members by getting a couple certified and their excitement hopefully will spread to others around campus.

If anyone there is interested, I am taking a group to Florida Freshwater Springs in January 2009 (Drive down Thursday evening 01/15, Dive Ginnie Springs Friday 01/16 (Lee/Jackson Day), Mantatee Snorkel/Dive and then Rainbow River Drift Dive on Saturday, and then Devil's Den Cavern Dive on Sunday and then drive back to Virginia on Monday 01/19th Martin Luther King Day.

I could also assist with Certification Instruction and/or Check Out Dives on this trip as well if this would fit into anyone's plan.

This is a mid-winter opportunity to get in about 7-10 dives in a beginner Diver environment.

If you do any business with Ralph's shop, please let him know I stirred you in his direction?

Back
Top Bottom