Starting a Scuba Club in Fredericksburg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Briny Liney

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey gang!

I'm attempting to start a scuba club at the University of Mary Washington here in Fredericksburg, VA. I'm excited but neverous. Hopefully people will show up to the meeting tomorrow. My fingers are crossed.

Anyways, since I'm from Florida, I'm not familiar at all with places to dive up hear. I've heard about Rawlings (still not exactly sure where that is) but was wondering what else is there. Is anything close to Fredericksburg? I'm not sure how committed to diving members of the club are going to be so I'm not quite sure yet how far they're willing to drive or how much they're willing to do. (I'll be a bit heartbroken if all they want to do is go to Florida for spring break). So I want to have options for all kinds of diving so no one gets turned off. And maybe suggestions for helping uncertified people get certified? I was thinking about calling the dive shop up the street and asking them about that (I'd feel like I was being a little forward but it would be nice to be able to set up a collaboration with them).

So any advice or listing of dive sites or assistance (tagging along with you experienced VA divers) or anything would be extremely helpful!

I would come to the meeting if I was in town, but I live in Blacksburg at the moment. I would definitely get in touch with the scuba shack and see if you can hang something up in the shop to announce the meetings and such. I would worry about finding places to dive later, because if you can get some people together then you can collaborate good dive spots. Definitely post how the meeting goes. If you have a meeting in early October I will probably be able to come.

I highly recommend getting in touch with the lds though.

Hmm, the map thing didn't really work like it was supposed to, oh well...

I am here in town but only restarting my dive life after an 8 year break. I can't help you yet but would also be interested in whatever you find or will share what I get. I am starting to look for local dive groups as well.

Thanks, Emily! I'll check those out.
Definitely, Stu. I'll keep you posted. Have you found any other divers here in Fredericksburg?

Thanks, Emily! I'll check those out.
Definitely, Stu. I'll keep you posted. Have you found any other divers here in Fredericksburg?

I'm getting my sons (13 and 16) into it but am just starting to reconnect. So far my trips have been oriented to more warm water areas but 13 year old wants to dive Rawlings and Millbrook. Not sure how he'll like the cold! Good luck with your club meeting, I hope you find a decent amount of members. Let us know how it goes.

16 people showed up! I was excited.
But only 4 of them are certified. So now I'll have to help those who aren't get certified.
I was looking at Millbrook and read that it was in the 40s at the bottom?! That's freezing! I don't know if even I could be persuaded to do that. It would have to be hot outside to compensate, I suppose.
So hopefully they stay interested and I can help them get certified. Keeping my fingers crossed!

16 people showed up! I was excited.
But only 4 of them are certified. So now I'll have to help those who aren't get certified.
I was looking at Millbrook and read that it was in the 40s at the bottom?! That's freezing! I don't know if even I could be persuaded to do that. It would have to be hot outside to compensate, I suppose.
So hopefully they stay interested and I can help them get certified. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Congrats Caroline, excellent job! With that many, you may be able to get a group rate from a shop if they want to do it as a club. I am in the process of getting my boys certified too. One did a "resort course" in Cozumel and became hooked. There are lots of options but it is a lot more expensive than when I was certified back in 1985. I am looking at PADI's E-learning program and do the dives in Key Largo. http://oceandivers.com/instr/elearning.htm I'll be asking for opinions about that program in another part of this forum.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom