Starting a Scuba Club in Fredericksburg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

16 people showed up! I was excited.
But only 4 of them are certified. So now I'll have to help those who aren't get certified.
I was looking at Millbrook and read that it was in the 40s at the bottom?! That's freezing! I don't know if even I could be persuaded to do that. It would have to be hot outside to compensate, I suppose.
So hopefully they stay interested and I can help them get certified. Keeping my fingers crossed!

People rarely go to "the bottom" at millbrook. When I dove it last summer I always stayed around 27 feet because that is where the first thermocline was. At Rawlings last summer the thermocline was around 45 feet, so I stayed above that. Luckily I have my MoF friends now, so I just go to FL every three weeks :D

Millbrook might be closing soon, if it isn't closed already but Rawlings will be open year round. There is also Dutch Springs in PA...but that is cooooooooooooold. Did my certification there and NEVER looked back.

Millbrook won't close until Nov, it's open and much quieter now than it is during the summer. If it's 40 at the bottom, it's warmed up since August, but Princess is right, not a whole lot of purpose in going down there, only thing below 70 ft that I can think of is the van.....and it's cold (37 the last time I was down there in July). The deapest attraction other than that is the plane at about 70ft, on most of our dives we hit that first then head off to something shallower, most everything else is 30 - 40 and you can pretty much stay right around the thermocline and fairly comfortable (dove there last weekend in a 5mm full and was fine and I'm a WWW).

We do our open water training dives at the Rappahannock West quarry on Wicklow Rd. in Fredericksburg. The water is generally warmer than at Millbrook. There are several boats, cars, bus, etc. to see. Access is managed by the Virginia Outdoor Center. $10 a diver access fee.

I didn't know that quarry was open to the public. It is where I did my open water checkouts years ago. I would love to dive there again. Anyone up for meeting there early the morning of October 10th for a dive?

Briny, how did you advertise for your Meetups?

I live in Woodbridge. I'd be interested in trying out the quarry in Fred some weekend. Is it open year round? Maybe do some ice-diving in December without the long drive. How is vis?

Bri

Back
Top Bottom