Starting a Diving Company

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HybridDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello i was just thinking about maybe starting my own company i was thinking start out small like out of my house sell things online type of thing expand and get my own lil shop and get air tanks and do fills and classes and stuff after awhile and sell things?
Would this work? any other tips? im only 16 what should i do now to get ready?
Chris

ChrisCrash:
what should i do now to get ready?
Get your DM, move to mexico just after your drysuit course.

Isn't there a shop in Kelowna already?

ChrisCrash:
Hello i was just thinking about maybe starting my own company i was thinking start out small like out of my house sell things online type of thing expand and get my own lil shop and get air tanks and do fills and classes and stuff after awhile and sell things?
Would this work? any other tips? im only 16 what should i do now to get ready?
Chris

Finish HS. Seriously.

There is a place in Kelowna called Diving Dynamics with all sorts of training courses, including commercial. It is one of only 2 PADI Career Development Centers in Canada. Their facility has a Hyperbaric Chamber and indoor pool on site. They also have a worldwide placment service so they will help you get a job as well. You should call them. Here is a link...

http://www.divingdynamics.com/v1/page.php?7

EDIT: They sell dive gear there as well so you can check their prices and retail operation. I included their website just in case you were still looking at being a DM or Insrtuctor or Commercial Diver. It would be a good idea to drop by and tell them what you have in mind and they can help you focus more on the direction you want to take.

talk with local entrepreneurs and learn both sides - Diving and Business. both are important to know. While finishing school is important, lots of entrepreneurs got their start while still in high school - Don't let your age stop you, but don't let pride stop you from admiting areas of weakness and learning all you can either. BTW - be sure to dive dive dive ... lots, so you know the sport well.

Best wishes -

I do not think you would stand a shot at retail. The margin is so small and even guys who have been in business for years have a very difficult time competing with the Internet mass warehouses. If you had roomates and became an Instructor you maybe could support yourself working for an operator. Many vacation destination locales have a high cost of living.

First off don't let anyone tell you you are too young to start a business, but you will need a lot of help! If you are good with computers you could start up a small internet business. The problem is you will not be able to compete with big shops that sell at major discounts! They will be selling for cheaper than you can even purchase. Why should someone buy from you instead of a larger company that can back their product? There are a lot of costs involved with an internet business that people don't realize, web hosting fees, secure server, fees to accept credit cards, and the list goes on. I think one of the best ways to start would be ebay (but you may have to be 18, I'm not sure). Just my opinion, I'm sure I'll get slashed by someone.

Oh yeah, like dherbman said..."Finish HS!"
Also take some business classes at the local community college.

One last piece of advice from personal experience Do not go into debt before you're stable enough to handle it, this means do not get a credit card if you don't have a job!
It may be tempting to charge up a bunch of equipment for resell, but you will have to pay it back whether you sell you products or not.

If you want to be in the dive industry take as many classes as you can, there's always something to learn with SCUBA.

Life should be a learning experience, try to learn as much as you can about everything you can and keep going to school (High School, college, more college, etc.)

experience, experience and more experience.
Finish High School. Take some college level business and accounting courses
I would suggest trying to work at one of the local shops; learn the business on someone elses dime.
Get your Divemaster and then your Instructor license when you turn 18.
Maybe work at a resort for a year or two.
Then, once you know the business, figure out how to finance it. Then focus on profitability from Day one.

Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom