Started the new PADI DM Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sotgecho, have you finished your DM course? What did you think of it?
I think PADI have made some good improvements like including how to use an SMB - something which every diver should learn but I'm sure there are a lot of certified DMs out there who cannot.
The only problem is if you want to do your IDC now. Are you thinking about that? If so, there will be a gap in your dive theory that you will have to do something about because dive theory is not taught as part of the IDC. There are a few different options open to you for this.

Yes all finished; just need to finish up my application (need pictures and renew EFR) and send it off.

I really enjoyed my program. Like many have said before; it is what you put into it. I have been doing it for 10 weeks straight now; every week pool sessions, shore and boat dives, classroom sessions, working at the shop, working on the boat, etc. I was fortunate to have a lot of time to work on my program; I have the luxury of making my own schedule. If I wasn't working; I was in the water.

A new dive scenario the DMC has to do is a search and recovery. I had to lift cinder blocks from depth using a lift bag and it was fun trying to figure out how much air to put into the bag to make the blocks buoyant. I always practice shooting my SMB at my safety stop too.

I am planning on doing my IDC but not till next year. I plan on taking some more courses before that like GUE Fundamentals, TDI Advanced Nitrox Decompression, Cavern and Intro to Cave (NSS-CDS or NACD). I have an opportunity to work at the shop I did my course through; I can lead dives and assist in classes as much as I want. I am keeping myself busy by continuing my education by reading some material outside of course material such as Deco For Divers, The Six Skills, and other books on technical and cave diving. I know dive theory is important that is why I want to keep myself busy and continue my education. I am meeting with a local course director soon to talk about their IDC program to find out what I need to keep up on.

Overall, I enjoyed the new program and learned a lot and look forward to learning and assisting more.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your DM. Like you say, its definitely about what you put in, but you also need a good instructor who is willing to put in from their side too, and it sounds like you have that.
Its good that you have the opportunity to work at the dive shop. However you will have more employment prospects as an Instructor so I would say that if you want to make diving your career, the IDC is the next step.
Check out a few places before you commit to your IDC. The IDC Guide (PADI IDC Dive Instructor courses, Dive theory IDC PADI IE exam revision) have some of the best Course Directors from around the world, and they have some tips and advice for choosing your IDC facility. The IDC is a big investment and your decision really does count.
You sound like a hard worker so that will definitely be in your favour when you are looking for work.

All the best

thegoprofamily.com | The GoPro Family Blog

Jaja is this an invite to come to the Philippines to intern and dive for a while? :)

Thanks for the compliments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom