Started the new PADI DM Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw the new test versus the old test answer keys. The new test is is 120 or 140 questions and in two parts of 60 to 70 questions encompassing all the material instead of broken up into section as with the old course. I didn't get to see the actual new test itself though; I got to look at the old test sections instead.

I am not sure of the physics portion or how those questions will be in the actual test.

I feel bookwork is bookwork whether they changed the presentation of the material or the testing of it. I feel it comes down more to your instructor, shop and what you put into the course. For me I want to progress into IDC next summer and get my OWSI and use this course as a long internship into instruction. I want to take full advantage of working with students and instructors to further sharpen my skills and knowledge. I understand that bookwork and testing is important but real world experience is the real knowledge building.
I beg to differ with you, real world experience is an important piece, but only a piece.
At a leadership level you need to be a Proficient or Expert diver, what this means to me is:

Proficient: The diver posses a depth of understanding of the disciplines that make up diving, as well as those specific to diving, so that the diver can make a holistic assessment in context, rather than just an analytic one. The diver can deal with complex situations holistically, and decision-making is more confident. Performing to a fully acceptable standard is routine, as is seeing what is most important in a situation. Deviations from the normal pattern are quickly perceived. Decision-making is less labored. Maxims are used for guidance, but there is understanding that conclusions will (and should) vary according to the situation. The diver sees the overall 'picture' and how individual actions fit within it. The diver is able to take full responsibility for his or her own work (and that of others where and when applicable).

Expert: The diver is capable of making correct decisions on an intuitive basis. He or she no longer needs to rely on rules, guidelines or maxims and posses an authoritative knowledge of the disciplines that make up diving that leads to a deep tacit understanding of, as well as a holistic and intuitive grasp of situations. In complex circumstances, the diver moves easily between intuitive and analytical approaches, using analytic approaches solely in completely novel situations or when problems occur. The diver sees the overall 'picture' and simultaneously grasps alternative approaches. The diver is comfortable taking responsibility for going beyond existing standards and creating original interpretations using a vision of what is possible. Excellence is achieved with relative ease.

There was a time when becoming an diving leader started with being an expert diver, today one is lucky to find an DM or Instructor who is even a proficient diver.

It would amaze me and please me no end it PADI made the exam more demanding.
Okay. I see what you are saying.

Once I get my crewpack my instructor and I are going to go through it and do some comparisons between the new DM manual and the older version. Once we do that I will update to what the changes have been made. Should be next week or so.

On the other hand, I got to participate in an open water class Friday afternoon at the Blue Heron Bridge and what I mean by participate I got to hold the dive flag for three hours. I learned a lot in those few hours just watching students do their confined water dives 3 and 4. Students keep you on your toes they like to shoot to the surface on a fin pivot, try to use a snorkel underwater and get distracted by spotted eagle rays very easily. Good intro into trouble shooting and situational awareness.
We wait for your report, thanks.

Okay. I see what you are saying.

Once I get my crewpack my instructor and I are going to go through it and do some comparisons between the new DM manual and the older version. Once we do that I will update to what the changes have been made. Should be next week or so.

On the other hand, I got to participate in an open water class Friday afternoon at the Blue Heron Bridge and what I mean by participate I got to hold the dive flag for three hours. I learned a lot in those few hours just watching students do their confined water dives 3 and 4. Students keep you on your toes they like to shoot to the surface on a fin pivot, try to use a snorkel underwater and get distracted by spotted eagle rays very easily. Good intro into trouble shooting and situational awareness.

The usual informative post from Thal. And appreciate your future info. on the new course. Seems you got a better experience DMCing a course (I'm too lazy too look it up). My roughest point was a woman unable to "properly" position her mask while we sat in frigid late Nov. N.S. water.

I agree with you Thal. In a leadership role you need to make decisions and adapt to situations as they are presented to you. I feel that regardless if you took the previous DM course or the current course you are no expert in anyway. Expertise in any subject takes time; it can not be learned overnight or in a few weeks/months in a DM course.

I feel the sentiment amongst posters is that the DM course that is being offered now will produce DMs not of the same caliber as ones who have taken the older course. Based on the revision of the DM course materials which have yet to be really seen or studied.

I feel the approach that I am taking to the course will be a much beneficial to me and my future goals. I plan on doing the course over next few months where I get an opportunity to audit multiple OW, AOW, Rescue courses as well as specialty courses like Nitrox, Peak Performance Buoyancy etc, work in a shop and on boats that will make me a more well rounded diver.

I have not seen the old stuff, only the new stuff. As I understand it the books are the same. The intern stuff is the same. The test is different. I read every word in the Dive master book and the Encyclodia, watched the video numerious times, done more than the required number of internships. While the written test may not be as hard does that alone make the quality of DM less? I stick by the instructor makes the student as well as the students input into the class. I bet if you asked your instructor if because some things have changed in the DM class if he is going to turn out a less qualified DM he is gonna give you a hell of a look.

Finally got my DM crew pack yesterday. The materials are the same except that you do not get a manual and you need to do e-learning.

Honestly, I do not really like the e-learning. I feel I am getting shorted on material. I ordered an actual manual to supplement the e-learning. Even though the manual is available online it is annoying to me to navigate the manual that is why I ordered one.

I progressed through the e-learning first three sections. The most interesting so far is the Supervising Students one. That portion has the demonstration skills videos. The videos just show two instructors demonstrating the skills but there is no explanation as to what they are doing; there is also no sound. I am presuming that is where your instructor fills in the gaps and explains the attributes of the skills. The videos were helpful as a guideline.

I feel the approach that I am taking to the course will be a much beneficial to me and my future goals. I plan on doing the course over next few months where I get an opportunity to audit multiple OW, AOW, Rescue courses as well as specialty courses like Nitrox, Peak Performance Buoyancy etc, work in a shop and on boats that will make me a more well rounded diver.

Can't disagree with that. Wish I had that much practical experience. The academics are debatable. Guess it can't hurt to have a lot of book knowledge. But as a Band Teacher, practical experience helped me most to improve.

WOW Padi is really pushing this E-Learning thing. I know when I spoke to the course director of my shop in the past about E-Learning he encouraged people to come to his shop and therefore get the opportunity one on one to learn with the instructor.

Oddly enough I was one who got to use the old PADI dive master material while my partner in class used the new materials. While he had a diffrent outline then mine it appeared most of the chapters were in the same format with only diffrent questions and answers in the knowledge reviews.

I was curious as me and him spoke about the new course though as there were the rumors the Physics was being removed from the course and placed in the instructors course. Again this was only rumors but was curious to get some definitive answers if its true or not.

I was curious as me and him spoke about the new course though as there were the rumors the Physics was being removed from the course and placed in the instructors course. Again this was only rumors but was curious to get some definitive answers if its true or not.

Physics is still in the e-learning portion it is under the Dive Theory section; I will update again once I take the final exam. However there is a lot of focus on using the eRDPml. I am guessing they are pushing the new eRDPml in the near future. I used the eRDP when I did my OW but did not have much practice with it after that.

Finally got my DM crew pack yesterday. The materials are the same except that you do not get a manual and you need to do e-learning.

You do not 'need' to do e-learning, it's just another option to add convenience to the course options. The 'traditional' paper manual/instructor approach is still available...

Physics is still in the e-learning portion it is under the Dive Theory section; I will update again once I take the final exam. However there is a lot of focus on using the eRDPml. I am guessing they are pushing the new eRDPml in the near future. I used the eRDP when I did my OW but did not have much practice with it after that.

Yes, there is still some physics in chapter nine (Dive Theory), but it has changed a lot. The theory is a little simpler now. There's a greater emphasis on in-water, practical sessions now, focussing on what a DM can actually do independantly of an instructor, i.e. run Discover Local Diving, Skin Diving Courses, Scuba Reviews and take participants for additional DSD dives in open water. There are also workshops about search & recovery techniques and setting up and controlling deep dives...

However, if a candidate is continuing on to do an IDC, they will still need to advance their theory knowledge to the same sort of level attained under the 'old' Divemaster course..

Completed my internship, practicals, and exams. Just need to finish the paperwork and mail off.

Just a little recap of my program.

11 OW classes participated in
80+ OW students certified; I lost count after a while

3 AOW classes participated in
7 AOW students certified

1 MSD- Deep, PPB, Navigation, Search & Recovery, Drift

1 Discovery Scuba class lead

1 Rescue class assisted in

39 boat dives
42 Blue Heron Bridge dives

Too many tanks analyzed and hauled around

95% on exam; really straight forward studied the manual and encyclopedia
3's on all the swims (400, 800, diver tow; I elected to do all of them in one day; kinda a mistake was really tired by the time I did the tow)
5 on gear exchange
102 on Skills Assessment

Overall, this was a worth while program. I got the opportunity to work with a great group of instructors, divemasters, and shop employees. My advice to anyone looking to being successful in this program is to make yourself available to your instructors; practice, practice, practice all your skills (ask for critiques); do not be afraid to ask questions.

Learned a lot but still have a lot more to learn about this industry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom