Started the new PADI DM Course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sotgecho

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I signed my life away to start the new PADI DM course. I am still waiting for my crew pack to come from PADI.

I spent some time with my instructor going over some of the differences between the old DM course and the new one. There are a lot similarities between the two courses from what she said but there are some differences especially the written test. The stamina and skills tests are the same from what I was told. Our shop hasn't seen the new DM manual and since I am the first one to go through this course for the shop under this new system they are interested to see what has changed as well.

Good luck! I am waiting for the completion (in accounting at PADI now) and then I am all set.

I have heard rumors (Note they are just rumors) that the physics part was either made easier or completely taken out of the mix. Am interested to hear how this plays out and how diffrent it is now from 3 months ago!

I saw the answer form (empty bubble form) several weeks ago. Old test had 8 pages new one has 3 if I remember correctly.

I saw the new test versus the old test answer keys. The new test is is 120 or 140 questions and in two parts of 60 to 70 questions encompassing all the material instead of broken up into section as with the old course. I didn't get to see the actual new test itself though; I got to look at the old test sections instead.

I am not sure of the physics portion or how those questions will be in the actual test.

I feel bookwork is bookwork whether they changed the presentation of the material or the testing of it. I feel it comes down more to your instructor, shop and what you put into the course. For me I want to progress into IDC next summer and get my OWSI and use this course as a long internship into instruction. I want to take full advantage of working with students and instructors to further sharpen my skills and knowledge. I understand that bookwork and testing is important but real world experience is the real knowledge building.

I took the new test 2 weeks ago. It's 2 test each 60 questions long. I'm not sure what the old physics was like but the new test it wasn't very detailed.

One of my classmates would've liked the reduced physics thing. Man I studied all that stuff. I've always said there is lots of detailed stuff that really had no relevance to being a DM. But I guess that's just "dumbing down". Next thing will be dive physiology--lots of stuff there that isn't necessary to dive safely. Do what you're taught in OW and you'll be OK. More dumbing down.

What do you mean by "dumbing down"? Do you feel the book material is not as valid since they modified the course?

What do you mean by "dumbing down"? Do you feel the book material is not as valid since they modified the course?

In response to k ellis talking of hearing rumours about the physics being "made easier or completely taken out of the mix", I made my post. I admit I have yet to see the details of the new course, and that is "my bad". I stand by the rest of what I said.

In response to k ellis talking of hearing rumours about the physics being "made easier or completely taken out of the mix", I made my post. I admit I have yet to see the details of the new course, and that is "my bad". I stand by the rest of what I said.

Okay. I see what you are saying.

Once I get my crewpack my instructor and I are going to go through it and do some comparisons between the new DM manual and the older version. Once we do that I will update to what the changes have been made. Should be next week or so.

On the other hand, I got to participate in an open water class Friday afternoon at the Blue Heron Bridge and what I mean by participate I got to hold the dive flag for three hours. I learned a lot in those few hours just watching students do their confined water dives 3 and 4. Students keep you on your toes they like to shoot to the surface on a fin pivot, try to use a snorkel underwater and get distracted by spotted eagle rays very easily. Good intro into trouble shooting and situational awareness.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom