Started DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have finished all of the requirements, except the confined water (we're doing the simulated). I echo many of the previous statements. You get out of it what you put into it. It is serious business. And, the physics ... I'm an engineer (rocket scientist) and came close to failing the physics. Not because I didn't understand gas laws (I understand those quite well). But, you have to be careful to use the right constant (for fresh water vs. salt water).

Enjoy the training and education. Remember: you train for the certain; you educate for the uncertain. This "problem solving" class does both and there will be more than one sufficient way to solve a problem.

- Bri

My buddies and I finished up on Sunday. Great weekend of diving. At one point, one of my fellow candidates had to be a DM while the rest of us did the BCD Remove and Replace Underwater. I had decided to wear my BP/W with long-hose setup this weekend. Since my job in this task was to mess up, it was quite a scene. Lots of stuff going here and there. Probably would have made a very funny YouTube video. We did this for multiple dive skills. But, this one was about the most fun from a student perspective.

Bri

Good luck!! Attend as many classes and lectures as you can to get hands on experience.

Practice your demonstration quality skills. Do it until they are slow and exaggerated.
Of course, study for the tests.
Most important. Develop a relationship with your instructor-mentor. Also, make the rounds of other instructors' classes. Don't just stay in one. See how they are different, what works best.
Practice your observation and people reading skills. That is vital to you anticipating and solving issues before they become realities.

Have fun. This is a really good time- a lot of work- and definitely worth it, if done right.
Good luck

My buddies and I finished up on Sunday. Great weekend of diving. At one point, one of my fellow candidates had to be a DM while the rest of us did the BCD Remove and Replace Underwater. I had decided to wear my BP/W with long-hose setup this weekend. Since my job in this task was to mess up, it was quite a scene. Lots of stuff going here and there. Probably would have made a very funny YouTube video. We did this for multiple dive skills. But, this one was about the most fun from a student perspective.

Bri

Did you finish your PADI DM without ever working with actual students? IMO this is not the best approach although it is allowed within the standards. If that's the path you've chosen I'd suggest you begin working with students as regularly as possible. There is just no way to simulate the problems actual students have.

Good luck and studying! just remember that the more you out into it the more you'll get out!

Did you finish your PADI DM without ever working with actual students? IMO this is not the best approach although it is allowed within the standards. If that's the path you've chosen I'd suggest you begin working with students as regularly as possible. There is just no way to simulate the problems actual students have.

Yes, we did not work with students. Not my preference. Quirky course director. And, since I will be re-assigned to Fort Bragg, NC this summer, it is just not practical to DM for the one month possible in the dive season this spring.

I would like to start DM'ing with a shop or a boat after I move. Either way, I would like to work in real situations. I think there will be more opportunities in NC than in Northern VA.

I've finished my DM. I send the app off to PADI today.

Back
Top Bottom