Start w/drysuit, or cheap wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also, if I get the Pinnacle Element, and later get a drysuit, the price of the Element is kind of flushed down the toilet.

The quote stat says that once you go dry you will never again dive wet is FAR from universal.

the cost of rentals going towards your purchase is fine and all, but I stand by my statement, having your own regulator and BCD is more important

if you are going to use the drysuit, by that I mean use it some 20+ times a year, for the next 10+ years, then by all means get it. But, if not, or if it will delay you getting your own BCD and Regulators then I would think twice about it.

Also you mentioned diving in Dutch Springs, where else are you planing on using it, I really hope your not buying a DS just to dive in some junky quarry, I am sure that you will tire of that quickly.

the cost of rentals going towards your purchase is fine and all, but I stand by my statement, having your own regulator and BCD is more important

if you are going to use the drysuit, by that I mean use it some 20+ times a year, for the next 10+ years, then by all means get it. But, if not, or if it will delay you getting your own BCD and Regulators then I would think twice about it.

Also you mentioned diving in Dutch Springs, where else are you planing on using it, I really hope your not buying a DS just to dive in some junky quarry, I am sure that you will tire of that quickly.

Yes, in theory I agree with you that a reg/bcd is more important. But it's not as if people who rent their reg/bcd are dying left and right while diving. I think as long as one dives conservatively and using proper procedures that renting a bcd/reg is very safe. I also think that being comfortable (in a wet/dry suit) can add to safety while diving, although perhaps not as much as using your own reg/bcd.

My dive shop carries Atomic/Aqualung/Scubapro equipment, and I'm kind of leaning towards an Atomic regulator based upon my research on here, but as I said, I'm not sure yet.

As to where, mostly wreck diving in the NY/NJ area. Dutch Springs would mostly be for training and trying out equipment.

hobodiver

I agree with you. You have some experience and can judge the risk of a rental regulator. If your intended dives are inline with your confidence in the rental shop then buying whatever is the bigger PITA is a good plan. Keep in mind that the reliability of a rental regulator is only as good as the care the last diver gave it or the shop added by inspection.

Pete

I think being comfortable means doing more diving. I don't know what your summer water temperatures are, or whether you would even dive in the wintertime. I know for me, with Puget Sound in the low 50's in summer and the mid 40's in winter, I probably wouldn't dive much at all if I tried to do it wet.

If you can be really comfortable in a wetsuit where you dive, it's a very reasonable purchase, and you might even use it when you travel. I did our trip to Indonesia with a woman who wore a 7 mil suit in that high 70's water! So the money might not be "thrown away", even if you decided to go dry at some future time. I also know my buddies in LA dive wet through the winter, but do their lobstering in the summer (and some monkey diving) in wetsuits in the summertime, and you might find that you used a pattern like that.

Around here, if you just tell the shop that you're diving dry when you rent the regulator, they'll make sure there's an inflator hose on it.

hobodiver

I agree with you. You have some experience and can judge the risk of a rental regulator. If your intended dives are inline with your confidence in the rental shop then buying whatever is the bigger PITA is a good plan. Keep in mind that the reliability of a rental regulator is only as good as the care the last diver gave it or the shop added by inspection.

Pete

I have thought about the "last diver" issue, and I've thought about getting a 3CF SpareAir as an extra safety margin. I know a lot of people here seem to be very against them, but it seems like adding an extra option (octo/buddy/spareair) can only increase safety. Although I think the dive shop rents pony bottles as well, so perhaps that's an option I'll use instead.

No doubt true, but I'm not really a new diver. I've been certified for 20 years, I just haven't done a whole lot of diving over the years. I've never had any problems with buoyancy.
Sorry, I missed that. Since I switched to diving dry, I very rarely even consider using a wetsuit.

Hobodiver,

You need to consider how much you plan on diving.

If you plan on diving mainly in the summer, doing 1 dive at a time, diving shallow (less than 60 feet) diving less than 5 times a year and rarely get cold, investing in a drysuit would be overkill. Get yourself a nice, well-fitting or custom 7mm.

If you plan on diving year round, doing more than 1 dive a month, multiple dives and get cold easy, go ahead a go for the drysuit. Like TSandM, comfort is key, and the Fusion is about the most comfortable drysuit on the market. The more comfortable you are, the more you will dive.

As for the rest of you equipment, if you have no issues with the LDS rentals, keep renting until you are ready to buy. It sounds like you have no issue with your shop's rentals, and if that is working good for you, then continue to rent until you decide what your want. You will find that owning your own equipment, even if it is identical to the rental stuff, is more comfortable because you will adjust it to fit you perfectly.

Are you regularly diving deeper than 60 feet? Are you an air hog? If you are using good dive air management skills, you should be fine without a spare air. If you are doing deeper dives, or in situations where you might need that extra air, either get a bigger tank, or go with a pony bottle. If you are an air hog, I would be looking to dive something bigger than an aluminum 80 anyway.

If you have people at your LDS you like and trust, I would also listen to them and trust what they are telling you. It sounds like they are working with you too and that is a good thing.

I have thought about the "last diver" issue, and I've thought about getting a 3CF SpareAir as an extra safety margin. I know a lot of people here seem to be very against them, but it seems like adding an extra option (octo/buddy/spareair) can only increase safety. Although I think the dive shop rents pony bottles as well, so perhaps that's an option I'll use instead.

I agree with PinkPADIgal, the Spare Air is an option you should be fine without. Normal buddy procedures and alternate second stages should provide a solid safety margin.

There is a time an place for redundant/self sufficient back-ups but let those be pony bottles or doubles. If you feel a need to rent a pony then do so. Being a returning diver you may find yourself getting into more challenging dives faster than the classic newbie.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom