Start Up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrBlueLakes

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking to start up to teach and wanna start with new cheaper gear, which is reliable for OW dives only. What best should i look at as far as BCD and reg combos on the less expensive side. Keep in mind, as business grows I will invest in better gear.

If you're buying gear for your business, I would think that the priority is two fold - it needs to be affordable and reliable. The last thing you want is to have gear that is in a constant state of disrepair, making it more difficult for you to focus on training your students.

Will you be servicing your own gear or using another shop to do that for you? Depending on the answer to that question (and which brands you or your preferred shop are able to service), you can narrow your choices down quite a bit.

I'm looking to start up to teach and wanna start with new cheaper gear, which is reliable for OW dives only. What best should i look at as far as BCD and reg combos on the less expensive side. Keep in mind, as business grows I will invest in better gear.
Reliable gear is reliable under any conditions, not just for OW. You can buy lower-end gear from any of the reputable manufacturers, which will work for years with proper care and maintenance.

Spending more on equipment may get you more "features" or "enhancements" erc. but it will not make it more reliable. Any gear that is not reliable is junk and should not be used.

Reliable gear is reliable under any conditions, not just for OW. You can buy lower-end gear from any of the reputable manufacturers, which will work for years with proper care and maintenance.

Spending more on equipment may get you more "features" or "enhancements" erc. but it will not make it more reliable. Any gear that is not reliable is junk and should not be used.
Right, Im just looking for a recommandation. I was thinking about scuba pro's lowest end stuff or Cressi

Inexpensive and reliable...

Get a fleet of back plate and wings (BP/W) with adjustable webbing combos. They fit everyone and are fantastic for almost all types of diving. Your students will require less lead since they went be trying to sink all the floaty material of a classic BCD jacket. You'll maybe need to replace webbing at under $20 every few years with heavy use.

See @Boarderguy's post. When I started, I was independent and the guys at Edge-Hog are about the only business that will work with independents.

Get a couple of BP/W with hogarthian harnesses and you can fit anyone (pretty much). I'd recommend getting one XS back inflate BCD (or a soft plate TBCS) for females. Now you don't have to have one of every size... The same goes for the Edge regs. I don't think I could have done anything without Edge, it just would have been too expensive... Oh, and it's better quality than the Cressi stuff.

If you can't find the contact info for Edge, DM me, but it's pretty easy to find IIRC.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom