Start drooling...C5060 coming!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With everything I've been hearing about the 5060 from Olympus, friends who have connestions and should know, the rumors, the good and the bad.....and with the dwindling supply of 5050's, IF that is true.....I would, and did, go with the tried and approved 5050.

We already know the 5050 cuts the mustard and delivers as promised. There are a few idiosyncracies that some hate and others tolerate but all in all it's proven itself. The 5060 is an unknown with questions already about some of it's basic features. It may be the next bee knees or it may be the dud some are afraid it to be. I don't like being the guinea pig and I don't mind last years technology...I like safe!

Just my 2¢

Dee, that's pretty much summed up what I told my friends also.
The 5060 has some nifty features that will be very welcome but also quite a few features that may be an annoyance. I think one friend is planning on getting the 5050 this week while the other one still wants to wait a little while for more info on the 5060!

For me, well I bought the 5050 just before you dropped the bomb and posted about the 5060:eek: . So far I am still very happy with my choice. Beside I would have to wait quite awhile longer before Ikelite might have a housing available for it :)

ssra30 once bubbled...
...For me, well I bought the 5050 just before you dropped the bomb and posted about the 5060:eek: . So far I am still very happy with my choice. Beside I would have to wait quite awhile longer before Ikelite might have a housing available for it :)

Me, too. I bought mine a few weeks before DEMA but I don't regret it at all. There are plenty of folks knowledgeable in it's use who can answer questions, the housing and attachments have already been tested and the bugs worked out and I got a really decent deal on the whole thing. I'm happy!

Now if I could just get to some clear salt water soon. :rolleyes: Somehow the pool is no substitution even if there is excellent viz!

I ordered a 5060 and should get it tomorrow. Before I made the leap I searched this and many other boards, maybe even driving Dee crazy w/ stupid questions, but the straw killing the camel was a friend who has a 5050 w/ pt-015 and his issue was shutter lag. The 5060 is supposed to be much faster than the 5050. He really worked to talk me out of the 5050. I was ready to go for the 5050, but decided to wait. If he is wrong, his next dive on my boat will involve a looooong surface swim. I am waiting on the pt-020 and will let you all know what I find out when I get it and take it for a test swim. It is supposed to have a bulkhead so the fiber optic cable is not needed.

Fingers are crossed here!

Great! You can be our guinea pi...ahem, our research subject! You can bet folks will have lots of questions. Do me a favor though, will ya? If the lack of shutter lag is as they say it is.... don't tell me about it! :D

I got my 5060 yesterday. It seem pretty intuitive. I took some shots of cars and was able to take clear pictures both in full auto and in shutter priority. It seems that the shutter lag is pretty short, in fact I was suprised by where the car was when the camera made it's cute shutter noise and where the car was when I looked at the picture.

Let me know what to test out and I will do it and report back to you all. This is my first digital camera, and the housing is not available yet, so I am just playing at getting used to the menus and being able to change the settings quickly. Any practice drills or how you set up for shooting underwater would be helpful.:D

Post any of the pictures you're taking. Remember...you're our researcher! ;D

Are you using the half shutter press to get the short shutter lag or is this a full shutter press?

How long does it take to charge the lithium battery? I read somewhere that you had the option to use AA's....is that true? I don't think it is.

I got short shutter lag with a full press.

I don't know how long it took to charge the battery, I plugged it in and took my daughter to practice. It was charged when I got home. According to the book a full charge from a dead battery is 6 hours. I have been playing with it for about 3 hours off and on and it still shows a full battery picture. My guess is 3 dives before charging, but we will see.

I doubt you can use AA's, the connections are both on the same side, and right next to each other. I have not priced a second battery pack yet.

I will load the software and post some pictures soon.

What software came with it? If it's some version of Camedia you may not want to use it. I've never been happy with the way it works then I found out that the photos that you download into it from your camera are only accessable through Camedia. In other words I can't open my file manage and go to those photos in Camedia.

I much prefer to download directly into a file on my hard drive through file manager. Using the USB port my computer sees the camera as a removeable drive F: I click on it and there are my original photos. The first thing I do is copy them all to a file in My Photos. After I'm sure they are all there, I disconnect the camera and clear my memory card. If I'm on a dive trip, I burn the originals to a CD before disconnecting the camera but you can do it from your hard drive, too. OH...I'm using windows.

Do yourself a favor and don't use Camedia!

Great tip. I have a friend who is a safety consultant here and he bought a 5060 at the same time I did, and he loaded Camedia. He said that with it he could turn on and off the day/date feature which he needs for documentation. I really don't want the date stamp on my dive photos anyway. I will try your way first. BTW, I am using windows 2000

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom