Start drooling...C5060 coming!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sorry that this is a little wierd but you cant incapsulate images into a post.(hint to vB board coders, howabout some pure XHTML coding support for posts)

2003 October 7th

The waterproof protector which actualizes the super wide angular underwater digital photograph
"PT-020" new sale
The worldwide beginning and wide angle the optical 4 time zoom lens of 27mm - 110mm it loaded
Compact digital camera to "CAMEDIA (ƒLƒƒƒƒfƒBƒA) it corresponds C-5060 Wide Zoom"

Waterproof protector "PT-020" Waterproof protector "PFL-01" for external flash Wide port "PPO-02"

Olympus corporation (president: Kikukawa hardness), the world the wide angle 27mm which becomes first - 110mm (35mm film conversion) high-class compact digital camera "CAMEDIA of 5.1 Mega pixels which load the optical 4 time zoom lens C-5060 Wide Zoom" (desired retail price: Open price) private waterproof protector "PT-020", is sold late from November. In addition, although being small-sized, outside using exclusively the large light intensity flash "FL-20" (desired retail price: TTL flash photography at the underwater where it becomes first with the compact digital camera 15,000 Yen) by setting to waterproof protector "PFL-01", was made possible. Furthermore conversion lens adapter "CLA-7" (desired retail price: 2,200 Yen) with wide conversion lens "WCON-07C" (desired retail price: The wide port "PPO-02" where 19,000 Yen) combination, becomes enabled even at underwater is added to line-up. This corporation the system develops the CAMEDIA waterproof protector series, as the waterproof protector, and the land which make underwater photographing which is wider possible keeps expanding the line-up of the accessory which can use the same product even at underwater.

Summary of sale

Category Product name Manufacturer desire
Retail price (classified by tax) Sale day
Digital camera Digital camera
CAMEDIA C-5060 Wide Zoom Open price 2003 earlier November
Waterproof protector For CAMEDIA C-5060 Wide Zoom
Waterproof protector "PT-020" 28,000 Yen 2003 late November
Flash External flash "FL-20" 15,000 Yen In the midst of sale
External flash "FL-20" business
Waterproof protector "PFL-01" 28,000 Yen 2003 late November
Wide lens For CAMEDIA C-5060 Wide Zoom
Conversion lens adapter "CLA-7" 2,200 Yen 2003 earlier November
For CAMEDIA C-5060 Wide Zoom
Wide conversion lens "WCON-07C" 19,000 Yen 2003 earlier November
The wide port "PPO-02" for PT-020 16,000 Yen 2003 late November

Main merit of digital camera "CAMEDIA C-5060 Wide Zoom" and waterproof protector "PT-020"

1. In the digital camera worldwide first wide angle it loads the lens of 27mm - 110mm and actualizing the high picture quality of class highest level
"CAMEDIA C-5060 Wide Zoom" in the digital camera 27mm - 110mm which become the world first (35mm film conversion) is the high-class compact digital camera of 5.1 Mega pixel models which load the wide angular 4 time zoom lens. Because of this, the high amateur user focusing on needs are high, possibility of wide angular photographing at the underwater where it assumes that the digital camera is weak until now, spreads. In addition, speed of automatic focusing improves and acceleration is actualized e.g., following characteristic is improved. By the fact that "PT-020" is used, shutter chance is not let escape and as thought, high picture quality photographing can be enjoyed even at underwater.

2. Colorful photographing function
Getting near to 3cm to subject, also the small living thing of ƒEƒ~ƒEƒV and the like can photograph with the super macrofacility which it can photograph, with super close-up. In addition, with the my mode function which can register your own sufficient photographing mode to 8 types, every diving environment and the photographing scene by photographing object ones photographing condition can be registered. When using because it is possible, to change photographing mode instantaneously, smoother underwater photographing becomes possible. In addition, it can control also the expression of blue at underwater delicately with loading the colorful white balance function. Furthermore, compared to understand you can enjoy the colorful photographing function which makes, creative real photographing such as the histogram indication which can be verified easily possible, even at underwater.

3. With the use of private wide port "PPO-02" and private conversion lens "WCON-07C", further wide angular photographing at underwater possibly
It does to answer the wide angular photographing needs at underwater, the super wide angular photographing of 19mm (conversion at the 35mm land) becomes possible at underwater CAMEDIA C-5060 Wide Zoom private conversion lens adapter "CLA-7" and wide conversion lens "WCON-07C" combining with the wide port "PPO-02" for PT-020 by use receiving. "WCON-07C" new is the high picture quality lens which was developed as the optimum lens of CAMEDIA C-5060 Wide Zoom.

4. Safety and reliability at underwater raise
The substance has designated the strong polycarbonate resin as the material, it is superior in durability, it actualizes the pressure-resistant depth of water 40m which can be used for also real diving. In addition, adopting the buckle to the terminal area of the waterproof protector itself and the lens and the port in addition to the double O ring which makes the gasket for prevention of flooding double, the safety design which furthermore strengthens safety and durability is administered e.g., it prevents the fact that the lens comes off.

Main merit of external flash "FL-20" private waterproof protector "PFL-01"

With combination with the waterproof protector "PT-020" underwater TTL automatic photographing possibly
Although being small-sized, GN (guide number) outside it becomes first with the compact digital camera the waterproof protector "PFL-01" of flash "FL-20" business outside using exclusively which has 20 depending upon, TTL automatic photographing at the underwater where the flash is used became possible. In addition, it is possible even at when and the like photographing at a deeper place where the large light intensity is needed, and photographing the subject which leaves to photograph at the appropriate light intensity. Furthermore, if the bundled "PFL-01" business spread board is used, also photographing and the like which alleviates the shadow of the strong subject where it is by flash light is possible. If the mode dial is changed, in addition to TTL automatic photographing also manual photographing becomes possible, adjusts to the photographing scene and depends and it is real and you can enjoy creative photographing.

* At the time "of PFL-01" use you cannot use the automatic photographing "of FL-20".

Main specification

Digital camera "CAMEDIA C-5060 Wide Zoom" business waterproof protector "PT-020",
And outside using exclusively flash "FL-20" business waterproof protector "PFL-01"
Waterproof protector "PT-020" "PFL-01"
Corresponding type CAMEDIA C-5060 Wide Zoom Electronic flash FL-20
Approved resisting pressure Within depth of water 40m Within depth of water 40m
Waterproof mechanism Double O ring bonding system Double O ring bonding system
Principal material Substance: Transparent polycarbonate resin
Grip/shutter lever/zoom lever: Red polycarbonate resin
Lens window: FL tempered glass
Lens ring/TTL connector cap: Aluminum
Various operation buttons: Brass nickeling
Buckle: Stainless steel
O ring/lens cap: Silicon
Liquid crystal hood: Rubber (NBR) Substance: Transparent polycarbonate resin
TTL connector cap: Aluminum
Operation button: Brass nickeling
Buckle: Stainless steel
O ring: Silicon
Mode dial: Red polycarbonate resin
Spread board: Milk white acrylic
Arm attaching screw/adapter: Brass nickeling
In addition material: Aluminum, stainless steel and rubber (NBR)
Size
(The largest spine it includes) Width 165mm~ height 143mm~ depth 127mm Width 111.5mm~ height 154.2mm~ depth 76.2mm
Weight (g) Approximately 600g
(The digital camera, the liquid crystal hood, the lens cap or the strap it is not included) Approximately 300g
(The spread board and the TTL cable it is not included)
Bundled item Hand strap, grease for silicon O ring, silica gel, pick for O ring removal and private balance weight, liquid crystal hood, buckle opener, lens cap and TTL connector cap Underwater TTL cable, hot shoe cable, arm attaching screw, arm installation adapter and spread board, grease for silicon O ring, silica gel, buckle opener and TTL connector cap

* When using using the liquid crystal monitor of the digital camera as the finder. As for optical finder use failure

Waterproof protector "PT-020" business, wide port "PPO-02"
Wide port "PPO-02"
Corresponding protector type Waterproof protector PT-020
Corresponding conversion lens Conversion lens adapter CLA-7 and wide conversion lens WCON-07C
Approved resisting pressure Within depth of water 40m
Waterproof mechanism Double O ring bonding system
Principal material Substance: Transparent polycarbonate resin
Buckle: Red polycarbonate resin
Lens window: FL tempered glass (extensive monolayer coating)
O ring: Silicon
In addition material: Rubber (NBR), ABS
Size
(The largest spine it includes) Largest diameter 149mm~ depth 78.5mm
Weight (g) Approximately 500g (the lens cap it is not included)
Bundled item Grease for silicon O ring, pick for O ring removal, lens cap

As for inquiry this
To image information field

* The company name, product name and the technical name which are published to this release are trade mark or registered trade mark of each company.

As for the contents which are published here, it is the information which is announced to for the reporting authorized personnel. Because it is information as of of reporting announcement day, at the point in time when you view, there is no notice and information modification (end, specification of production sale and modification etc. of price) are times when it is done.

Is this camera really that good? I've seen friends usign the older version .. I think the 5050 and they were raving about it.. is it that much better than other brands?

personally if i was going to get a oly cam i would forget the 5060 and stay with or get the 5050, it seems like the feature set is much better and better design and lay out.

YMMV

personally if i was going to get a oly cam i would forget the 5060 and stay with or get the 5050, it seems like the feature set is much better and better design and lay out.
Ok, this is too early to debate but I would disagree with you. While the loss of the 'super bright' lens is a bummer, I would say that, so far, the feature set of the 5060 is looking better. I'm sure Olympus could have built a 27-110mm (4x) 1.8-2.6 lens but it might have put the cost of the camera out of the 'prosumer' range. Proprietary battery pack is a bummer too but it's not all bad and something I can live with (e.g. the Ikelite DS-125 substrobe). What needs to be seen is the noise level of the images.
A faster camera (startup and fps), reduced shutter lag, wider lens, full-flip LCD, card-limited 640 movies and some thought into UW accessories (wide-angle port, sync cord bulkhead, true Oly TTL) has certainly got my attention. The fact that I can use my topside accessories underwater is a very attractive proposition. It looks like Olympus is putting a serious commitment for us scuba divers... Just my 2c.

BTW, the way the topside lens (WCON-07c and TCON-17c) mount on the C5060 has also changed from the screw-on type to the bayonet mount.

My feeling so far is that if you already have an Oly 5050, especially if you already have WAL and strobe then the improvement that you are going to get with 5060 is probably not going to be significant enough to spend the money.
If you building from scratch then it probably would be worth it to wait for it.
I am not sure how powerful the Olympus strobe is in comparison to Ikelite/Inon/Sea and Sea.
I cannot tell from the picture if the Oly topside wide angle lens with the port is externally mounted so you can take it off underwater or not. If it does not then that would be one less reason for me to like the 5060.
You would be getting an equavalent of about 20mm lens with the Oly 5060 setup with Oly WAL/port. I have no idea what the 130's + degree that you get with Inon WAL/domeport/C5050 is equavalent to in mm?

I have just finished an "available light shooting test" in movie mode on the 5050 compared against a DV Camcorder (TRV33) and my old Hi-8 camcorder.

I found some very, very interesting things.

First, the 5050's actual exposure range is pretty poor. It has about HALF the sensitivity in movie mode of the DV Cam. Shadows in available light indoors (artificial lighting) are BADLY underexposed and unrecoverable. Period.

Second, the DVCam loses - badly - to my older Hi-8. I don't have the Lux rating on the older Hi-8. But the DVCam is rated 7 lux, and it appears to have about half the sensitivity of the Hi-8 camcorder (!). This was a major surprise to me.

The Hi-8 has a lot more video NOISE, but there is a signal there that on the DVCam is simply missing in low light.

The DVCam has superior image quality by far, but there are indeed motion and edge artifacts to be seen that are not there on the Hi-8. But in terms of image clarity, its better than the analog unit.

All video was viewed on a HDTV screen after being burned on a DVD set to maximum encoding quality.

Conclusions?

Sure. There are some.

The 5050 is ok as an UW Video Cam; I have lots of footage to prove it. The 7 Lux DV cameras should be better (most of the Sony's) The 5060, if it has worse sensitivity than the 5050 in movie mode (and I bet it does, with the slower lens) will be WORSE and perhaps unusable underwater in movie mode.

Hey guys -

Oly had the 5060 at DEMA. They were not letting the unwashed masses touch it.

Bah.

The LCD viewfinder is more configurable, looks a bit different. No other immediate differences were apparent.

I am not really familiar with the Oly line, so maybe there is some big difference that I missed.

Peter

For those interested I (un-officially) heard yesterday that the clever people at Olympus have figured out a clever way to adapt the WAL. We all know that for the 5060 you can use the land WAL underwater. The way they've done it is by building a separate housing for the lens itself. So it still screws on like a 'wet' lens which means you don't have to commit to particular range of focal length before the dive.

heheh, this is now a rather touchy subject. I have a couple of friends who want to get a camera and don't know if they should wait for the 5060 or go ahead and get 5050 now (since 5050 stash seems to be disappearing). One rumor now is that the PT020 may not accomodate the usual 67mm add on lens so you are stuck with Oly accessory only. Don't know how accurate this is yet but if it is true, it would be another reason to grab a 5050 before they all disappears.

Back
Top Bottom