Starbucks' is Open in Cozumel!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I said, not everyone has to like it...

I'm still not sure how these places can be called a "drain on the economy" though? They employ locals, they welcome locals, and the owners of these "American" establishments are franchisees or licensees...who all happen to be Mexican citizens.

McDonald's is packed with Mexican locals all the time.

Just like in the states, Domino's and Pizza Hut are great take-out options for local families with busy schedules...or who for those who just want something other than Mexican food. You have cuisine from just about every nation in the states...why should those living in a tourist destination be restricted to local food?

I have no problem with agreeing to disagree. Potayto, potahto... ;^)

I have no problem with agreeing to disagree. Potayto, potahto... ;^)

No problem Gordon...disagreement is not an issue...we all like different things and that doesn't make anyone right or wrong :) It's the elitist and condescending mentality of some that I find unnecessary and "wrong."

I am curious though as to why you feel these establishments are a drain on the local economy? I just don't know where you are coming from there? Can you explain your position?

How is opening a Starbuck's any different for the economy than if the same person opened up a coffee shop in the same location named "Cozumel Coffee"?

Or if a local person opened up a hamburger joint called Jose's Hamburger's?

Woah! Looks like someone woke up someone!

Yes, since I am definitely "elite," (the elite is a relatively small and dominant group of individuals within the larger society that enjoys a privileged status which is upheld by individuals of lower social status within the structure of a group) I must be "an elitist." One must be what one is, lest one become a caricature of oneself.
edited by Mania
I simply offered my opinion on Starbucks, it's root causes and evil - if one doesn't like it, one can simply avert ones eyes, couldn't one? One doesn't necessarily have to agree with my opinion either - I've certainly experienced that before.
edited by Mania
Someone a little angry today? Here's a (one) word of wisdom:

DECAF!

LOL!

I guess if I were Bill O'Reilly I would just tell everyone to SHUT UP and that would be ok...hahaa...

I guess if I were Bill O'Reilly I could just tell everyone to SHUT UP and that would be ok...hahaa...

Not with me; I hate that jerk. No offense intended, but you've got a long way to go to catch up with "Papa Bear" in the arena of condescention and arrogance. Keep working on it, though. ;^)

I can't stand him either (and certainly wouldn't emulate such a bufoon)...I was just pandering to the right wing contingent...(although I know he claims to be "independent," he certainly seems to really dislike progressives)...

What's so good about Starbucks anyway? They use inferior beans, drive down the cost of the coffee beans where they do buy them thereby depressing more local economies than they are helping frothing Midol Lattes for pod people, fly that coffee all over the world (even to places that grow excellent and varied types of coffee beans, like Mexico) leaving a carbon footprint that the Sasquatch would be proud of (not to mention that people DRIVE to get the Starbucks coffee instead of brewing at home), the company opposes union activity and on and on...then they talk the talk about their "corporate responsibility" program and publish press releases about how great they are...I'm sure the 10 people they are paying 49 pesos a day (or whatever) appreciate the job though...

No problem Gordon...disagreement is not an issue...we all like different things and that doesn't make anyone right or wrong :) It's the elitist and condescending mentality of some that I find unnecessary and "wrong."

I am curious though as to why you feel these establishments are a drain on the local economy? I just don't know where you are coming from there? Can you explain your position?

How is opening a Starbuck's any different for the economy than if the same person opened up a coffee shop in the same location named "Cozumel Coffee"?

Or if a local person opened up a hamburger joint called Jose's Hamburger's?

Starbuck's is getting more out of it than they are putting into it; else why would they do it? Operating expenses stay local, but the profits go elsewhere. Maybe it's not a net drain, but (for example) when Wal Mart moves into a small town, it produces jobs and tax benefits to the locals, which is good, but the big money goes somewhere else.

Upon further review, though, my objection is admittedly largely selfish. The more these places open up in Cozumel, the more it looks like home, and home is what I am trying to get away from for a while. The one time I went to Cancun I hated it, and every time I go back to Cozumel, it looks more like Cancun.

Woah! Looks like someone woke up someone!

Yes, since I am definitely "elite," (the elite is a relatively small and dominant group of individuals within the larger society that enjoys a privileged status which is upheld by individuals of lower social status within the structure of a group) I must be "an elitist." One must be what one is, lest one become a caricature of oneself.

I simply offered my opinion on Starbucks, it's root causes and evil - if one doesn't like it, one can simply avert ones eyes, couldn't one? One doesn't necessarily have to agree with my opinion either - I've certainly experienced that before.

Someone a little angry today? Here's a (one) word of wisdom:

DECAF!

LOL!

I guess if I were Bill O'Reilly I would just tell everyone to SHUT UP and that would be ok...hahaa...

Any further replies to you are not worth on extra minute
edited by Mania

When a decent coffee shop opens on the island, I'll happily patronize it...but that hasn't happened yet...so until then, I'm happy to support Starbuck's.

Starbuck's is getting more out of it than they are putting into it; else why would they do it? Operating expenses stay local, but the profits go elsewhere. Maybe it's not a net drain, but (for example) when Wal Mart moves into a small town, it produces jobs and tax benefits to the locals, which is good, but the big money goes somewhere else.

Upon further review, though, my objection is admittedly largely selfish. The more these places open up in Cozumel, the more it looks like home, and home is what I am trying to get away from for a while. The one time I went to Cancun I hated it, and every time I go back to Cozumel, it looks more like Cancun.

That's a fair and reasoned response and opinion. I was just wondering which angle you were coming from :)

Any further replies to you are not worth on extra minute
When a decent coffee shop opens on the island, I'll happily patronize it...but that hasn't happened yet...so until then, I'm happy to support Starbuck's.

edited by Mania

From Shakespeare's Hamlet (the origin of the saying):

"What a piece of work is a man! how noble in reason! how infinite in faculty! in form and moving how express and admirable! in action how like an angel! in apprehension how like a god! the beauty of the world! the paragon of animals! And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? man delights not me: no, nor woman neither, though by your smiling you seem to say so."

Let's see, Starbuck's, McDonalds, Dominoes, and Pizza Hut....at least we're importing our healthiest products overseas. I sometimes wonder if Mexico understands what they are really getting here. We're the biggest nation in the world in more ways than one. This is indeed unfortunate news from my selfish perspective. I travel to get away from the mall like atmosphere that surrounds me. This may be just another brick in the wall, but it IS another brick in the wall.

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom