Standardized Hand Signals for Remaining Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaHH6

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Situation yesterday during a dive pertaining to remaining air signals. I was taught (PADI Instructor) 1,2,3,4,5 fingers up or 6,7,8,9 fingers down and circle for zero. I was with another PADI instructor for a leisure dive yesterday who "misinterpreted" my five fingers up to mean 1,000 as opposed to 500 because he "thought he saw me flash it twice." Long story short (and some additional issues later) he continued ahead of me while I needed to begin my safety stop and way back to the boat in a bit of a current. He must not have turned around until I was ascending because he didn't realize I was gone. I did the 1 minute under to search for him, then floated at the service for around 5 minutes before kicking back to the boat, then floated near the boat for another 5 minutes. He was no where in sight. He finally emerged after diving to the boat.
Needless to say, a lot of recommendations weren't followed, and we should have ensured we had the same hand signals, but fortunately I'm a very comfortable diver albeit new. This was the first time I had seen hand signals in flashes of five, so I didn't understand why he didn't interpret it correctly.
Had I been a new OW or uncomfortable diver, this hand signal misinterpretation could have been tragic and turned into panic diver or out-of-air situation quickly.
My question being, what is the PADI (and other organizations) standards in air signals? If there are several, then why is this not standardized?

In my experience, there is no standard. It MUST be discussed with the dive guide in advance. Good guides will be able to interpret many different ways of communicating, but they cannot read your mind.

Many PADI instructors in the US are taught to report in 100's of PSI, so 5 fingers is 500 PSI, 10 fingers is 1000, etc.
What if you are using Bars? You need to discuss this! Flashing 2200 psi to a guide is four hand flashes and then 2 fingers. Rather a lot of room for error.

More technically inclined instructors/DMs will use fingers up for 1-5, and sideways (not down!) for 6-9. But you then spell out the entire reading, so 1700 psi would be 1-7 (two fingers sideways) - 0 - 0. No assumptions about 100's or thousands of psi.

Other people use fingers on the upper arm for 1000's, and fingers for 100's.

The best I've see recently, in Bonaire, was a request to make a T (like a timeout signal) for a half tank, and a fist for a low tank, namely 700 psi or 50 bar. My problem is that a fist means STOP in technical diving, and a fist on the chest means low air in most signaling systems.

Bottom line: If someone wants to know your pressure, show them your pressure gauge. No mistakes.

. . . If there are several, then why is this not standardized?

All that really matters is that before the dive you and your buddy make sure you agree on hand signals. Some, like "okay," are always the same. Others can differ. How much air you have remaining is one that I have seen divemasters review with their customers to make sure they are on the same page. Sometimes we go over signaling actual numbers, and sometimes "half a tank" and "low" are all that's agreed upon. I don't dive with unknown buddies, but if I did, I would agree with them how we plan to signal this.

One handed signals that the Cave/Wreck Divers (and the Fishermen on Deadliest Catch for crab counts!) use:

(Cute Goth-looking Chick with sexy UK/UC English accent . . .!)

Last edited:
Why not just show you SPG or computer to your buddy?
This. I've had buddies who flashed signs to me leaving me to wonder if they were cracking their knuckles underwater. If I figure out what they are asking I just show them my spg.

Just to muddy the water Eric and I use a simplistic version. Finger to side thousands and up hundreds. So 2 fingers to side then 5 up followed by 2 up is 2700. One finger to side then 2 up is 1200.

4232012164627ScubaHandSignals.jpe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom