Standard Hose Too Short.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDP

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a Suunto Cobra computer w/compass. The hose is approx. 33". This does not allow me to compass navigate if the hose is routed under my left arm. I am looking into getting a longer replacement hose.

I am wondering if others have had this problem, and what they did to remedy it.

RDP:
I have a Suunto Cobra computer w/compass. The hose is approx. 33". This does not allow me to compass navigate if the hose is routed under my left arm. I am looking into getting a longer replacement hose.

I am wondering if others have had this problem, and what they did to remedy it.

Went to a wrist mounted compass. It was my first wrist mounted gauge. Of course, mounting the compass on my wrist and having my depth gauge on a retractor (or hose) was pretty lame... I can have the compass in my grill but I'd be changing depth in open water as I was navigating... :11:

Eventually went to wristmounts and solved my problems.

Well - THOSE problems anyway... :11ztongue

Ditto - when I had a Suunto console, I sold the compass and went to a wrist mount. Said console is now long gone, and I use all wrist mounted instruments.

HP hose lenght is a compromise arrangement - too long and you got extra hose flapping in the current, too short and you can't use the compass without moving the hose up over your shoulder. The thing is, the difference bewteen a few inches long or short is often dependent on body size and configuration, so one size does not always fit all. My Wisdom had a similar problem as it needed a 2-3 " longer hose to work with my configuration and a trip to the local dive shop was in order.

Wrist mounting is the current tech induced craze but I am not a big fan wrist mounted stuff. I do a lot of work under water (running/checking cables, heavy lifts, etc and wrist mounted items are more prone to snag or to be damaged.

The cobra probaly won't work too well as a wrist mount. I haven't had any problem using the compass. I have a short torso, maybe a longer hose would work for you.

I can't figure out the move to wrist mounts. I used wrist mount compass, depth gauge and watch for many years and I was glad when they came out with the console. It sure makes gearing up easy.

I do have an old oceanic unit that has analog depth and digital timer that I clip off as a redundant unit on my belt. I haven't had to use it in the five years I've had the Cobra setup.

Yes, seeing as the Cobra is hosed and AI'd, you might have some problems strapping it to your wrist...

Thanks for the responses. I like the compass/computer console. It allows me to easily keep track of my depth while navigating. That being said, and the fact that this is an AI computer, I am getting a longer hose.

My LDS said Suunto doesn't offer a longer hose. Are there vendors out there that sell these HP hoses besides Trident? I have no problem with Trident, and have many of their products.

You can actually take the compass off of the console and turn it into a wrist mount by drilling a few holes and attaching some bungee. However, you would need the additional piece that fits on top of the console where the compass was before. Take a look at a Cobra computer w/out the compass, and you'll see what I mean. Your LDS should be able to order that piece from Suunto for you.

Besides that, a long retractor may be a good option for you. It would allow for use of your current hose, but you'd be able to pull the console away from you in order to use your compass.

I used to have the Cobra, worked great, but I hated the console after too long. Switched to wrist-mount and haven't regretted it one bit.

Mel

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom