Standard DM gratuity?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt,Tollie

In the UK, we have a lot of dive clubs where a Dive Marshall would assume a leadership role for the dives - a PADI DM would also fulfill this role. On boats it's just not done - some of the things cited by Matt above would be spread around the boat, skipper would do one thing, DM another and I can tell you for a fact that in the UK it won't be the DM lugging your kit around :)

In the UK and the rest of Europe we generally don't tip - it's just not done unless in some specific circumstances and this can differ from country to country. If we go to the US/Mexico we end up practicing a skill that we don't do regularly in our daily lives :)

Well, I am glad this thread has helped some other divers understand the compensation scale on a dive charter, as I have learned a lot also. Being new to diving, I didn't want to initiate a bad relationship around the local boats by being seen as a "stingy cheapskate". I want to leave a fair gratuity for good dives ,but not be taken advantage of in my diving infancy for tasks not offered to me on a boat.

Now for a trip out of the country... :D

matts1w:
A good DM makes everythinbg easy and the trip smooth. By preventing problems I may never see all the hard work. If all went well from the experienced divers to the newbies then the crew did a great job and deserves at least a mere ten bucks from me.

couldn't have said it better myself!

although I do find it funny when I train a new DM (work wise, not certification wise) and I get that classical look they all seem to get followed with a "I didn't know it was so much work, you make it look so easy" well.... that's my job, make it look effortless so the paying customer has a fantastic dive experience...

As a DM, it is also my job to leave whatever bad crap I have going on in my life at home. I've been on different boats and have seen some really piss poor attitudes coming from DM's. Customers dont want to hear that stuff. If you want a great tip, earn it. Everytime I take a group down (our DM's are in the water with the Charters) I ask myself, "If this is the only dive these divers get to do this year, will I have done everything in my own power to make it their very best?" I live by this rule, I also get tipped well.

As for culture differences, I think it is the travelers responsibility to research these types of things prior to being in the situation. When you call to book your dive trip, just ask a few simple questions and you'll keep everyone happy.

IMHO, depending on location, the tipping process should begin in one's OW class.. Their Instructor's should advise them of the local standards. I've seen students come on board with no money (no one told them about tipping) and be mortified at the end of the dive when they see others tipping (rememeber fellow DM's it's our JOB to let them off the hook and tell them it is absolutely fine and not a big deal with the most sincere smile you have).

I don't think my buddy or myself have a crappy attitudes towards boat crew (towards the captain and other mates.......maybe )etc. We both work on a ship.....not one that provides a diving service, however, but a service none the less.

In Canada we are conditioned to tip at a restaurant/bar for good service, I have left with leaving no tip for very poor service, but other industries are not in our learning curve.

Not sure what to say, I guess it would be the vast European influence on our mix mash culture.

Thanks for the heads up

I'm sure glad I read this string. Being new and having been on 2 boats, I never tipped the DM. Never even thought about it. I just had no clue. I was so new I was so into getting on the boat with the gear (they have bunks and you can sleep - wow - which one do I take) trying to get into and check my gear (all this damn weight and a 7mm ws I feel like the Michalin Man), get in and out of the water (all this damn wieght climbing this ladders a *****), not too sure what was supposed to happen or if I was doing everything I was supposed to do. When we got back to land, I was happy that I didn't have DCS (newbies I'm learning always worry) and was totally wiped out and was thinking about getting home. Looking back I should have tipped the DM as he was very helpful knowing that I was very new. I will be more conscious of it now.

On a different note.....Service in the states is a lost art IMO. So many times it seems that we as customers are bothering those that work in an establishment. Be it in a food or even a retail store (I love on line purchasing no attitude from the computer). Is it the generation gap and now I'm old and just am realizing it or have things deteriorated?

Finatik:
On a different note.....Service in the states is a lost art IMO. So many times it seems that we as customers are bothering those that work in an establishment. Be it in a food or even a retail store (I love on line purchasing no attitude from the computer). Is it the generation gap and now I'm old and just am realizing it or have things deteriorated?

It's a shame that you are so very correct..... It makes me crazy too, thank God for the internet (wooohooo, no malls for this chickie)!!!!

Sorry, but I dont agree with this one at all.
I am of the sort that likes to earn my money by working. By no means am I saying that others do not do or feel the same way. It embarasses and angers me to recieve a handout for doing the job that I was supposed to do. Many people work on dive boats in exchange for free trips or other perks provided by the shop, often there DM insurance is covered. In most cases the recieve some sort of compensation. Your experiences may vary. Many times the people are not living on the tips they might make. Dont get me wrong if a DM gave me a service which I had not paid for I would surely compensate the person for their time.

I get both angry and ashamed for the people(both the customers and the DM's) when I come off a boat and the DM is sitting on the dock waiting, almost begging for you to tip him or her. Although this has not happened to me in South Fl, in North Carolina it has. I have no need for the DM to help me in any way. Why should I give them a tip? Because I feel guilty? I paid for a boat ride, If I needed a DM to be a guide I would have paid for the service. If a dive op needs to raise prices to allow to pay the DM's they should do it. Forget having the DM's wait at the dock as you get off the boat, its my opinion that is degrading to the DM, and no one should be degraded.

Now of course we could all just tip the DM's but I see no reason to tip them just as I see no reason for myself to recieve tips.

I would never tell my students that they should tip the DM. In my classes I stress self reliance, there should be nothing for the DM to do for you besides tie into the wreck, give you site beta and maybe sell you some snacks. No changing over tanks, no carrying tanks, you are the one diving it you should be able to do it. If you feel that this is worthy of a tip, then go ahead and tip them. But do it because you want to, not because your instructor told you to.

I think most people (vacationers and locals alike) just treat DM's like **** and expect an extra service due to the instructors not stressing self reliance and even allowing the DM's during the class to do all the grunt work for the students.

-gm

baitedstorm:
IMHO, depending on location, the tipping process should begin in one's OW class.. Their Instructor's should advise them of the local standards. I've seen students come on board with no money (no one told them about tipping) and be mortified at the end of the dive when they see others tipping (rememeber fellow DM's it's our JOB to let them off the hook and tell them it is absolutely fine and not a big deal with the most sincere smile you have).

I understand where your coming from, however.... things don't work your way for the majority of people here in South Florida.. Letting students know up front the way business is done on particular boats is merely a courtesy to the diver/student. Could you imagine showing up for diner in short because no one told you it was a formal dinner. I’m not saying the Instructors need to stress tipping, but he students should have some clue what the standards (in that location) is.

As far as working... rest assured, I work my butt off when I'm DM'ing. We have a tip jar that we use, no one begging for anything. In fact, we don't know who tips what or even if someone tips. I'm pretty happy if I make enough money in tips to cover my gas to drive to the marina (an hour away).

I didn't start the tipping society, but it's how it gets done here. I too agree that DM's should be paid and not tipped, however, until Charter owners step up (or all the DM's go on strike) it's not gonna happen.

After more conversations with my dive buddy and others the tipping question is still out there. My honest feelings is that I would not tip a DM on any charter any where in the globe.

Why....Quote "I didn't start the tipping society, but it's how it gets done here. I too agree that DM's should be paid and not tipped, however, until Charter owners step up (or all the DM's go on strike) it's not gonna happen."

I honestly would not believe a DM would not be being paid for thier job. If they are not.....stupid ....stupid..........don't get it. It's been on my mind for several days but do not get it at all.

The Horn:
After more conversations with my dive buddy and others the tipping question is still out there. My honest feelings is that I would not tip a DM on any charter any where in the globe.

Why....Quote "I didn't start the tipping society, but it's how it gets done here. I too agree that DM's should be paid and not tipped, however, until Charter owners step up (or all the DM's go on strike) it's not gonna happen."

I honestly would not believe a DM would not be being paid for thier job. If they are not.....stupid ....stupid..........don't get it. It's been on my mind for several days but do not get it at all.

I understand your point but do you tip in restaurants? For myself it is the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom