Stamina Skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some would say this is splitting hairs. 400 yards or meters? If meters, that's 100 feet longer. Being in Canada, must it be meters? How does PADI view this? That last 100 feet may make a difference in what you score, or if you even finish.

I did it all in meters. If you take your DM in a place where they use metric, it's meters. If they use US/Imperial scale, it's yards. Definitely splitting hairs.

Seriously, if DMCs honestly think, after having taken a few weeks to train regularly in a pool, that the swim requirements of the course are strenous, then they should be asking themselves why they are doing this.

Someone mentioned that they were less buoyant due to reduced BMI through extensive weight training. I would expect you to be a stronger swimmer, unless you are doing little or no cardio, which is suicidal. The rest is breath control and relaxation.

I feel for the older folks who are doing their DMC..You have to knock yourself into shape but again, why are you doing this?

Well, I guess us older folks do DMC for the same reasons as anyone--improving one's self, maybe making bits of money here & there (I was a teacher 19 years, so it's up my alley for sure), the other usual perks which I'm sure vary from place to place. Regular pool training is not easy for everyone, considering some folks live far from the local pool, thus, running and exercise bike has to do.

OK Joe: I did the swim tests today. My results (I'm 55): in order: 9 total points:

400 meter: did 200m and conked out- I was going OK and decided to paddle on my back after 50 meters. Mistake. I have no good back stroke OR breast stroke. My wife says :"side stroke". Any suggestions other than building up arm strength? I run and do the exercise bike to train. I need to find some way to finish the swim and get a "1".

15 min. float: Great for 13 mins. but hands out was a no-go-so-a 4- My legs sink so easily in fresh water (pool) and I couldn't do more than 1 min. with hands out- leg motion was just too severe. Any suggestions as to what to do with arms/legs for the hands out 2 mins.? I need a "5" here.

800 meter- Got a 2-. was close to a 3, so I think I can improve that.

100m tired diver tow: "3": but I think I could've gotten better had I pushed myself (I was close to a "4"). Lost time on the turns ( 25 meters long pool). Took a while for both of us to get set. What's easiest- tank pull or tired diver push? Or PERHAPS underarm tow? What should the best buoyancy be for myself and the tired diver?

Appreciate any advice, as I live too far from the pool to train daily.

Well, I'm 58 and was able to do it, so I'm sure you can, too. The 400m was the toughest for me, not the distance, but the time! I do the breast stroke, really slowly. The sidestroke is the kick that the military teaches for a rescue stroke. It's better if you can do it on both sides, but, I can only do it on one side, so, it was tiring, but, it did bring my time up to a (barely) 2.

Float: You're trying too hard. It's not a tread. The first 13 minutes are just nice and restful. Be sure to take full breathes, just lie back, and if your feet sink, let them. Remember, it's just the HANDS. The best thing to do is to position your arms as close to your body as possible and just lift your hands above water, keeping them as close to your center of gravity as you can. To get your feet up, if that bothers you, do a very small kick that just keeps you moving and in the deep end!

The tired diver tow was good for me, I did finally get a 4. I found that very little buoyancy on the tired diver with a fin push works best. (Can you tell I did all of the tests several times?) The tank pull got my legs tangled up with his. I had just enough air in my BCD to let me barely float.

In the 800, be sure that you keep your fins underwater at all times. When they hit the surface, your not getting the propulsion they are designed for.

You don't have to swim everyday, but try to get some practice a few times a week. Maybe there are health clubs close that have a pool? Or YMCA?

Good luck! You can do it. I'm proof of that!!
Kathie

Good suggestions from Kathie...here's my $0.02:

You're not too far off.

Tired Diver Tow: Try to do this in open water so you don't have to make turns. Use the fin push, have your diver lay very flat, use a big bore snorkel or your reg, put your head down and MOTOR! Get that 4.

800: See if you can get some full foot fins so you don't have booties. This will help keep your feet underwater. You almost got a 3 so you know the pace you have to beat.

15 Minute tread: Just as Kathie said...float. Relax, lay on your back, keep your lungs as full as possible. The last two minutes, just hands out, nothing else. If you have to motor around in a little circle, do it. Lay back and look at the ceiling. Get that 5!

Okay...that's 12 points....now all you have to do is "finish" the 400. I suggest you practice swimming on your back, not necessarily the backstroke, but motoring along on your back....learn the breast stroke, it's very easy and I use it 90% of the time I swim. Alternate between the breast stroke and back swimming...no time limit as you only need a 1 so if it takes you 45 minutes, so be it!

With all this being said to help you get through the exams, I would suggest you work on your stamina in the water. Start an exercise program with your doctor's approval, one that is focused more on aerobic than on strength, but still balanced. Even if you can meet the minimums for DM, you really should be able to exceed them. As a dive pro, you're going to do alot of swimming and you need to be able to have enough stamina so at the end of the day, should you need that sudden burst to go get someone or head them off, you'll have it.

Thanks guys. Good suggestions. I'll keep at it. Oh yeah- I thought of using my full foot fins but I used my split fins instead for speed (I have found these to increase my speed a lot while diving). Which fins do you guys think are better?

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Good suggestions. I'll keep at it. Oh yeah- I thought of using my full foot fins but I used my split fins instead for speed (I have found these to increase my speed a lot while diving). Which fins do you guys think are better?

For snorkeling speed? Free dive fins of course! :popcorn:

Back
Top Bottom