Stamina Skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did my swims back to back, with a short rest between them w/o any problem. The key is to get a pace going and keep it, don't start too fast in the 400 or you'll really make it harder on yourself. I wore my timex ironman with the stopwatch going so I could check my lap times and keep a steady pace.

400 mt swim:
6 min. 30 sec or better - 5 points
6:30 - 8:40 minutes - 4 points
8:40 - 11:00 minutes - 3 points
11:00 - 13:00 minutes - 2 points
13 minutes or higher - 1 point

800 mt. snorkel:
less than 14 minutes - 5 points
14-16 minutes - 4 points
16-18 minutes - 3 points
18-21 minutes - 2 points
greater than 21 minutes - 1 point

100 mt tow:
Less than 2 min. 10 sec. - 5 points
2:10 - 3:15 minutes - 4 points
3:15 - 4:20 minutes - 3 points
4:20 - 5:30 minutes - 2 points
Greater than 5:30 - 1 point

I did the 400m and 15 min tread last night. Got a 3 on the swim and a 5 on the tread.

As other people have said, pace yourself in the 400m. Took a little while to get into the groove, but after that it was ok.

For the 15 min tread, I tried to float as much as possible without using my legs too much, that way for the 2 min hands out part, the legs were still pretty fresh

Thanks, hopefully the 800m and 100m tow should give me another 7-8 points (that's the aim anyway)

Hope to take the stamina tests soon (they haven't booked the pool since OCT.!) So, for the 800 MFS I'll be in a shorty. Which of these fins I own do you recommend?

--large Mares split fins with boots
--smaller splits that fit without the boots
--large rather stiff old full foot fins
Oh, should I use the same fins for the tired diver 100 tow?
Thanks in advance.

For the 800, I recommend lightweight full foot fins....anything with booties make your feet float and create alot of drag on the surface.

For the tow, use the most powerful fins you've got. I used my OMS Slips....a lightweight version of Jets/Rockets.

Thanks Joe. I have these medium size split fins that seen to fit my feet without the boots (haven't tested them swimming yet). How would these stack up vs. the full foots?

Well, pocket fins are designed for boots, where full foots are designed for your feet. I would think they wouldn't fit real well and could cause some discomfort, if not flat out blisters, by the end of the swim.

Do you have any tropical booties? I have a pair I use in the pool....nice small slippers with a rubber sole and they're like 2 mil neoprene.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom