Stamina Skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opie

Divemaster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Ok i am just wondering if i am the only one that has had problems with this. I could only tread water for about 5 mins and could only swim about 75m before i was washed. :dork2:

Ok i am just wondering if i am the only one that has had problems with this. I could only tread water for about 5 mins and could only swim about 75m before i was washed. :dork2:

Make sure there is a lifeguard at the pool.

I just finished my DM and was worried about the stamina tests, too. So I trained for them. I went to my local Y and just swam laps, which personally I find very tedious. A swim coach could be a big help, too. I think a lot of people set off on the swims with too fast a pace that they cannot maintain. With some experience swimming laps you get a feel for what kind of pace you will need. The tread was not challenging for me as I am a natural floater anyway, so maybe someone else will chime in on this one. I ended up doing better on the stamina tests than I expected I would, although the first time I tried the 400 I did bail on it since I had been sick and was not well rested. Get out there and train for it, and good luck!

Cheers,
Lilla

Steve,
I already checked that:D

I have been swimming at the local pool and have been considering taking lessons.

As for the tread,i am a sinker. I can sit on the bottom of the pool with a 3m suit on with all my gear off. Maybe a coach could help with that as well.

Thanks for the info.

Steve,
I already checked that:D

As for the tread,i am a sinker. I can sit on the bottom of the pool with a 3m suit on with all my gear off. Maybe a coach could help with that as well.

Thanks for the info.

Keep your lungs as full as possible - inhale fully then breathe shallow. Try not to work to hard, only enough movement to keep your face out of the water with your head tilted back.

What Lilla said.

For any swim test, start swimming much more slowly than you think you can. That and practice. It takes a few minutes to relax and develop an efficient rhythm. The more you do it, the easier it is to start a good pace and relax into it.

I never liked to swim until I tried slowing it down from the get-go. Now I do it for fun.

Let us know how you do and what worked for you . . .

-Bryan

I am a sinker and I had to forcefully inhale and put my head back as far as possible to float. the last couple minutes with your hands out of the water I only had wrist up out of the water. It took some practice for me.

TREAD

1. Read what is actually required of you. With some agencies, drown-proofing is actually allowed.
2. If you have to tread, evaluate your position in the water. There is a difference between comfortably treading with your face out of the water (head tilted back), and treading water with your shoulders out of the water.
3. Read the standards. Is it hands out of the water, or hands up the elbows out of the water.
4. For the hands out of the water, plan ahead. I went to most arm usage and saved the legs for when I couldn't use the arms.
5. Big breath, hold it, quick exhale, big breath, hold it, etc. Exhale on an "up kick".

SWIM

1. Pace yourself.
2. Pace yourself.
3. Pace yourself.

I started my swim on an Olympic pace (for the first 25 meters) and died out quickly after that. Slow and steady.

Read the standards. I think the only requirement is a continuous swim. Doggy paddle (stil moving forward) if you need to rest some. I only needed to complete the swim to pass, the time didn't matter. I can backstroke all day long, but it takes forever. I would backstroke for my resting periods, and then front crawl to pick up ground.

The tread is actually just staying afloat for 13 mins and having your hands out of the water the last 2 mins for a total of 15 mins. You can still use your elbows/arms just as long as your hands are out of the water. So basically for the tread i could swim around for 13 mins and tread for 2 with my hands out.(easier said than done...lol)

And if i swim any slower i'm gonna sink...lol

maybe this will help regarding the treading part:

Back
Top Bottom