Stainless steel travel backplates: pros and cons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would

Would people recommend a 40, then I could use it in cold and with dry suit, or would that look ridiculous in warm water and be overkill?
If it’s a single tank wing it’ll be fine. I have a Dive Rite Voyager 35lb wing for cold water and wouldn’t hesitate to use it in warm water.

Would

Would people recommend a 40, then I could use it in cold and with dry suit, or would that look ridiculous in warm water and be overkill?
Dave, everyone has there own way of thinking about weight needs vs buoyancy vs plates and wings. If you want to have one kit for warm and cold water, I can share my way of thinking that makes sense to me. I have a Dive Rite Trans Plate harness and steel plate and 35lb Voyager wing that can be used for both.

In warm water, wearing just a rash guard and jammer shorts and the typical aluminum tank on travel, I need no weight. In direct comparison to that scenario, in cold water with a dry suit etc, I find I need to add about 21 extra lbs to the whole setup.

I get 5 lbs switching to a steel tank. I have two cam band weight pouches that fit snugly next to the 2 sides of the tank butting up against the plate. I put about 4 lbs in each of those for a total of 8 pounds of non ditch able weight. Then the remaining 8 lbs are split between 2 quick release pouches on my harness waist belt.

If I need a bunch of extra undergarments, the cam band pouches will hold double what I quoted above. That gives me up to 8 more lbs if needed, without needing a weight belt.

Oh and btw, I’d think a 30lb wing would be more than adequate for tropical diving with a 3 mm, right? Someone at a LDS said they only use 40lb wings, but they only dive in cold water quarries…..

Many prefer an 18-22 pounds lift wing for strictly warm/tropical diving. A 30 pounds lift wing is an excellent choice because it gets you from tropical to 7mm suits and hoodie vest in cooler water with single tanks. If you can only have one wing, get a 30 unless you dive exclusively tropical.

You can weight integrate a Hog harness and wing. Two QR type pouches on the waist belt for up to 12 pounds total lead and two non-QR pouches on the cambands for another 12 pounds.

QR types:

For 3mm suits I usually have 2 pounds in each camband and 2 to 3 pounds in each QR pocket.

James

Maybe 5 lbs difference, for my AL and SS plates.
For the same size category, say regular size vs regular size, it is more like 3lb. A Dive rite SS plate is Iike low 5lbs. An OMS/H AL plate is like high 2lbs. I have pictures of them weighted here. The difference is smaller than we led to believe.

For the same size category, say regular size vs regular size, it is more like 3lb. A Dive rite SS plate is Iike low 5lbs. An OMS/H AL plate is like high 2lbs. I have pictures of them weighted here. The difference is smaller than we led to believe.
Sorry, where are the pics?

Sorry, where are the pics?
They are here in posts by me. Here is the number:

DR regular size SS plate: 5lb 1.0oz
H regular size AL plate: 1lb 11oz

Difference is 3lb 6oz.

I have weight many other things too. STA, camband, regs ... let me know if you want some numbers.

They are here in posts by me. Here is the number:

DR regular size SS plate: 5lb 1.0oz
H regular size AL plate: 1lb 11oz

Difference is 3lb 6oz.

I have weight many other things too. STA, camband, regs ... let me know if you want some numbers.
Hey thanks. How about the cambands?

Back
Top Bottom