Stage6 Frustration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I have worked with video for a long time. Never have I been more frustrted trying to get something simple done.

No matter WHAT export settings I try to use, I cannot get them to upload. The site says to use DrDivx if you are having trouble. Then takes you to a site that doesn't exist. I found a version online, downloaded it, and can't get it to convert anything that is greater than 720x480. I get an error when I use anything other than AVI file types, and when I use nearly any codec with the AVI type it says it either can't read it or can't read variable bitrate files (even though I am not using variable bitrates)

Is there anyone out there with a bulletproof method for making this stuff work? I've got some 1440x1080 60i files I'd like to get uploaded. I'm about to scrap it and just put these files on my private streaming server.

Thanks,

-P

I wish I could help you with Stage 6, but I've never used it. If you are looking to post HD video, you can also try Vimeo. I have posted there, and it seems to be a bit easier.

Might PM ronscuba - he has videos on Stage6.

If you don't hear from him immediately it's because he's on Nekton in Belize this week, it's either this week or next. (I almost went too...)

Perrone, let me see what I can dig up tonite... It's been awhile since I converted a video to divx and uploaded to stage6. I'm at work so don't have any of the programs/ files here to jar my memory on the workflow. Try heading over to Wetpixel.com :: Underwater Photography and Videography in their video section. I recall some of the video guys there giving me some good advice on converting to divx and uploading to stage6. Make sure you've upgraded to the latest divx codec/ encoder. DrDivx settings are bit quirky, but will work.

Yea, I downloaded the newest stuff. Of course the newest divx codec is uncompatible with DrDivx it seems. UGH! I'll head to wetpixel a bit later and see if I can get some help.

Thanks

It took a while in the beginning to figure out which render template to use to successfully upload 16:9 high definition files to Stage6. Eventually this is what worked for me. I use SONY Vegas as my NLE software but I imagine that all the others have similar codecs. Render your file as Video for Windows (.avi), Frame size HD1080 (1920 x 1080), Frame rate 29.970 (NTSC), Field order: Upper field first, Pixel aspect ratio 1.0000, Video format SONY YUV Codec, Interleave every (0.250) seconds, Audio format PCM Uncompressed, Sample rate (Hz) 48,000, Bit depth 16, Channels stereo. Once the file is rendered you will have to convert it to the DivX codec using either DrDivX or the DivX encoder. The encoded file can then be uploaded Stage6. Hope this helps.

I worked on it a bunch today and got something working. I did it at 960x540 though. I think I'll also be pushing things to 24fps to save some bits.

The DrDivx just crashes every time on my PC. But the encoder worked fine. Guess I'll have to buy it. :( Question, do you do "home theatre" mode or HD mode when doing the divx encode? I am assuming HD.

Thanks,

-P

Not having used the converter before I would also assume HD but try both and see what works. I use a custom profile in DrDivX but it has been so long that I don't remember which parameters were selected. Once you are registered at Stage6 you will have to build up sufficient "karma" before you can create your own channels. It is worth the aggravation though since the video quality is better than most of the other video sites offer. My HD channel is available at: Stage6 · OceanView HD Videos - Free OceanView HD Video Downloads..

I've seen PLENTY of your videos! That's why I am even bothering to try this. Your videos convinced me to join Stage6. I don't own an HD or HDV cam. But I am working on a project for someone who does. The videographer wasn't professional, but I don't think any other footage exists of this place, so I am excited to be working on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom