Question Seacraft ENC3 - anybody REALLY use one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just got a Seacraft ENC3. I have read the user manual and looked for instructional videos (and found none).

The user manual explains how to record a route.

It explains how to import a route from the ENC3 to their Windows software, and how to edit it (to a degree).

It also says you can import a Route from a file, but it doesn't say anything more than that. I.e. doesn't say HOW to import a Route, nor what the format should be of the contents of the Route file. I speculate that that function is meant to allow an ENC3 user to export a route to a file, give the file to someone else, and that person import it.

It does not explain any method to create a route - other than to record one by driving your scooter with ENC3 installed.

What I want to do is turn some GPS coordinates into a route. For example: Take coordinates of a shore entry spot and coordinates of a dive site in the lake, and create a Route from the shore entry to the dive site. Then load that Route into the ENC3, go get in the lake and use the ENC3 to navigate me to the dive site.

I have submitted an email to Seacraft Support with these same questions. I will update this thread if/when I get a response from them. Meanwhile, I hope someone here actually knows how to really use one of these and will respond.

From reading the manual, I cannot see any way to do that.

Have any of you really used the ENC3? Have you been able to do anything like I'm describing?

What file formats are the routes saved as?
It might be possible to just open it in a text editor and add the necessary navigational points that way.

I've read the manual. I've played with the desktop software. I've played with the ENC3. I successfully updated the ENC3 to the latest firmware.

I have emailed Seacraft tech support.

It's been 2 or 3 days since I emailed Seacraft and heard nothing.

In the software, I was able to create a multipoint route from scratch. The software is really terrible, but it at least seems to have the very most basic functionality that is required to accomplish the task at hand.

I was able to save my multipoint route to disk and it creates 3 files. The files are in a format that is not hard to understand. They are all the same name (the name I assigned to the route), with extensions of .KML, .MP0, and .MP1.

I have used the Seacraft software to, in THEORY, push the custom route out to the ENC3. But, though the ENC3 screen shows activity, making me think that it is in fact receiving the route (aka Path?), I cannot actually see or use the route on the ENC3.

All comms to the ENC3 have been via the supplied USB cable. I am not able to connect to the ENC3 via Bluetooth from my Windows 11 laptop.

When I select Paths in the menu on the ENC3, it says 0/50 saved routes. I.e. the route I exported (in theory) to the ENC3 is nowhere to be found on the ENC3.

Dumb question but did you name the files 000.xxx? Looks like the ENC sees the name as a route number.

It's not very reassuring when the manual states "Sometimes not all data are downloaded at first time. ENC3 is much slower with serving the data, if compared to your PC which is grabbing it. If you find, that some of your records from ENC3 are missing in the PC program, just repeat the downloading process to complete it."

Dumb question but did you name the files 000.xxx? Looks like the ENC sees the name as a route number.

It's not very reassuring when the manual states "Sometimes not all data are downloaded at first time. ENC3 is much slower with serving the data, if compared to your PC which is grabbing it. If you find, that some of your records from ENC3 are missing in the PC program, just repeat the downloading process to complete it."

I didn't name any of the files. I created a route in the desktop software and clicked on Save. The software named the files. But, that is a separate operation than when I clicked on "Export via USB" (or something like that). The Export is when it is visibly communicating with the ENC3 (based on what the ENC3 display shows).

And, yes. I agree. I had also read that part of the manual. It is NOT very reassuring.

Well, after only 10 days, I finally got a response from Seacraft support.

ENC3 does not support routes planning via external software. ENC3-PRO is the version that provides capability of multi-waypoint tracks planning. : Underwater Electronic Navigation System SEACRAFT ENC3-PRO at Best Price

Recorded tracks from ENC3 can be exchanged/stored in their raw format - which is .dat, and exported from the logged tracks.

For navigating to pre-declared GPS location, there is a planned upgrade of ENC3 data input mode, which will allow to enter raw GPS target coordinates, however it is not available yet. Right now, the best option is to source a start-target vector, for example from Google Earth, and input it into ENC3 as azimuth-distance. Keep in mind to have a correct declination value entered into device, while working on the map generated vector.

This kinda confirms, to me, that the ENC3 is really of VERY limited value. Not sure why anybody would buy one, at their normal price. Unless they just have money to burn. They are stupidly expensive for what they can actually do.

But, I got mine used for cheap and am still looking forward to using it for some things that it SHOULD be good for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom