Stage Kits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive4Life

Contributor
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knows what size bolt snaps are used on stage kits. My LDS said that they cost around $20.00 a piece. I think that he is full of it and is trying to make a killer profit. If anyone knows what size bolt snaps they use I would appreciate it.

Dive4Life:
I was wondering if anyone knows what size bolt snaps are used on stage kits. My LDS said that they cost around $20.00 a piece. I think that he is full of it and is trying to make a killer profit. If anyone knows what size bolt snaps they use I would appreciate it.

$20 is definitely too much, even for stainless steel. As far as the size, it depends on your preference. Go bigger if you are wearing gloves. For my little pony bottle I use a small clip to keep the tank closer to my body.

Try these guys.

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/hardware/

TDI is having a sale on clips. Check out the hot deals page here.

Babar

I bought some suitably sized stainless steel bolt snaps for $5.46 each at Menards last weekend. As for size I agree go larger if you dive cold water and need thicker gloves.

I get them at my local Ace Hardware. Brass are under $2.00 and stainless are under $6.00. Your LDS is charging WAY too much.

Tobagoman:
I get them at my local Ace Hardware. Brass are under $2.00 and stainless are under $6.00. Your LDS is charging WAY too much.
Particularly when you consider that companies like Dive Rite, OMS etc, don't actually make their own clips, they just get them from the same source as Menards, Ace, etc.

It's ok to charge a buck or two more for the convenience of getting the clip at the dive shop and to cover the cost of having to stock it, but $20.00 is just plain greedy. It really bugs me when LDS owners gouge their customers on items like that just because they will ultimately be used by divers. It is that kind of abuse that really fuels the on-line versus LDS debate.

Dive4Life:
My LDS said that they cost around $20.00 a piece. I think that he is full of it and is trying to make a killer profit.

Ask him if those are the new titanium bolt snaps.

At that price they must be something real special. :crafty:

i would stay away from the ones at the hardware stores, even the stainless ones. The springs are not stainless, so while the clip will look good for a long time, the spring will break in a short period and render the clip worthless.

i use the nix dog collar big clips on my stages, and they are great, all stainless including the spring and they are smooth. I tell everyone about them.

kurt

It would be nice if they sold the smaller ones (I think it's 5/8" the last time I picked one up at EE) for backup lights and stage regs. The ones they have are just a little too big for warm water.

goatboy_k:
i would stay away from the ones at the hardware stores, even the stainless ones. The springs are not stainless, so while the clip will look good for a long time, the spring will break in a short period and render the clip worthless.

i use the nix dog collar big clips on my stages, and they are great, all stainless including the spring and they are smooth. I tell everyone about them.

kurt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom