Stability using steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DA Aquamaster:
In contrast some steel tanks can still be 6 pounds negative and this weight on top of things can lead to some instability.
I'm trying to choose between the LP Faber 108's and the PST E8 119's.

The difference I'm zeroing in on is (besides the 2" shorter PST)

At 2640 psi LP 108's 112 cuft, E8's 95 cuft
at 3000 psi LP 108's 118? cuft, E8's 107 cuft
at 3442 psi ........................., E8's 119 cuft

At end of dive with 500 psi the 108's are about half a pound positive where the PST are 3 to 3-1/2 lbs negative.

Some have told be Faber 108's at 3000 psi is "routine". Don't know about that, but if I compare 2640psi to 3000psi with the E8's the capacity is roughly equivalent assuming I can almost always get fills to at least 3000 psi.

I guess my question is do I want the E8 at two inches shorter and roughly 4 pounds "more negative", or do I want the longer LP Fabers? I'm currently doing most of diving in WA and BC, drysuit.

If SeaJay is looking on, does this "profile" change your opinion on going with a LP tank rather than the E8-119's?

Be aware the Fabers have historically had a finish durability issue. Stripping those to bare metal and installing a durable finish without voiding the hydro and DOT stamps is generally going to cost you at least $50 even if you DIY. Normally this is not done until after the warranty has expired, but the last time I checked Faber did not warrant the coating system itself.

The ballast issues depend on what you normally need in the areas you intend to dive them. The tanks I use are 8 pounds negative empty each, which about offsets my "natural" buoyancy when diving singles. YMMV

FredT:
Be aware the Fabers have historically had a finish durability issue.
What are better low pressure tanks?

Any hot dipped galvanized tank. Right now that pretty much means a new PSI bottle or any number of used manufacturers. Scubapro made a 2600 psi blimp for several years, and almost all 3/4" valve 72s are galvanized under whatever paint is on them. This is why I suggested twinning up a pair.

FT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom