STA or NOT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*:
However, if you have the DSS plate then why would you bother with an STA?

I think it's this frequent statement that confuses people.

It has little to do with the plate and much more to do with the wing whether you need an STA or not. If you use the DSS wing, then why would you want an STA?

If you put an Oxy Signature wing on a DSS plate, then you need/want an STA, regardless of the plate.

There is nothing about the DSS plate that makes it "STA-less". It's the wing that does that. Cheers :D

bluewatertoy:
Tobin

Thanks for all of your information and explanations. I think I now have it figured out.
Basically the only way I would need an STA with your backplate is if I bought a separate wing. The wing on your system is what stabilizes the tank. I am 5'10" 210lbs. does your LCD 30 wing provide enough lift or would I need a larger one? Usually diving AL 80. I also love the idea of the bolt on weight plates very nice.

Kelly

You got it. Use the DSS as a system and you'll be one happy camper :D

And the bolt-on weight plates seriously rule :)

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a:
There is nothing about the DSS plate that makes it "STA-less". It's the wing that does that. Cheers :D

Actually this statement is not true:

As many other plates available today, DSS, OMS and others have the slots in the plate to acomodate the cambands without the need of a STA. I'll grant that without stabilizers on the wing, the tank may move a bit if only using the cambands, but it can be used STAless and it'll be more stable than for example a TransPack.

Older plates (like mine) may not have cambands slots and force you to use a STA.

The STAs integrated in the wings, require that the plate have camband slots cut in it.

You're right Mandy...the slots are there for singles and without the slots, it's a deal-killer and you would just NEED an STA for single tank. I highly recommend that anyone buying a BP/W for use with a single get one that has the single slots built in so that they have the most flexibility. There's no advantage to not having those slots.

But I think what most people are concerned about in the STA/non-STA discussion is the stability and secondarily the weight. The stability of STA-less setups is dictated by the wing design. Thus my not entirely accurate remarks.

Basically, I was trying to point out that DSS addresses the stability issue with the wing and the weight issue with the weight plates. I think every plate should have singles cam strap slots, personally, but what do I know? :D

Thanks for clarifying :)

I bought my OMS plate about 6 months before my buddy bought his, and guess what, his came with all the new slots on the plate, including the slot for the 2" crotch strap, I had envy for a while 'cause mine was an older design and was forced to use the STA and 1" crotch strap.
One day I tested his rig without the STA and fabricated a 2" crotch strap with an old piece of 2" soft webbing and I realized that I didn't like it without the STA and the 2" crotch strap restricted more my movements, so I tested it 3 more dives and decided to keep the STA and return to the 1" C Strap.

Before this tests, I even considered selling the plate to get the newer design or take it to a machine shop and cut the slots in mine using my buddys plate as a template.

It would be nice to have the slots, but in my case it's a moot point due to my personal preferences.

When I buy the Al plate, I'll make sure it got the slots, since as you stated, there's no advantage in not having the slots

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom