STA or NOT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bluewatertoy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking at switching over from my Seaquest Pro Unlimited BCD to a SS backplate and wing setup. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on for info. The DSS system seems to be what I am leaning towards. My only concern is whether or not a system with an STA or without is the better option. Any advice pro or con would be appreciated.

Kelly

The DSS tank stabilizer is definetly worth a try BEFORE you go out and buy an STA, I think you might find that you dont even need one.

I use a Pioneer and tried it w/ an STA but did not really notice a difference.

bluewatertoy:
I am looking at switching over from my Seaquest Pro Unlimited BCD to a SS backplate and wing setup. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on for info. The DSS system seems to be what I am leaning towards. My only concern is whether or not a system with an STA or without is the better option. Any advice pro or con would be appreciated.

Kelly

Can't really address your question about whether or not to have an STA, but I was in the exact same boat as you. . I have (had) a SQ Pro Unlimited and just received my DSS rig last week. Haven't gotten wet yet, but hope to do some pool time this week. I have done some dry fitting and adjustments and from what I can tell the rig is extremely stable (and comfortable) on land, not to mention well engineerred and thought out. I am new to the Bp/W scene and really am excited about the reality of ditching the bulk of conventional jackets too. As you know, Tobin's rig doesnt require an STA and I think it will take a little playing around to get things just right, but I think when it happens, it happens! Tobin makes some fine stuff and is very good about communicating help. He makes a killer plate too. Just my .02:wink:

To me, the STA is a great option for the following reasons:

1) The SS STA weight aprox. 2# that I shaved from my weight system.
2) The STA gives me extra clearance for the 1rst stage from my head, thus avoiding hitting it (common problem with a flat plate or a soft pack bc)
3) IMHO, the STA feels more stable than the cambands alone.

In my case, the STA is a great solution for the above reasons, but it may not apply to you, so check if you can go without one and then you can upgrade later if needed.

Dumb question but I am looking for a BP/W as well. What is STA?

Single Tank adaptor... it's a piece of steel that holds a single tank to the BP/W system more securely... some people choose just to use the bands... i'm getting a new BP/W system in the mail tomorrow.. i ordered mine with an STA ... you should be able to get a better response from someone else :wink:

I helped a diver get his new DSS rig fitted properly recently, and he didn't have the STA. It looked pretty stable, but was definately not as stable as my rig with an STA.

I'd say the advice WaterDawg gave is good. Try it without first, and if it seems okay, see if you can borrow an STA later to see if you prefer it with one.

Of course, you could just get the STA, and if for some strange reason you decide you don't want it, sell it on eBay.

Thanks. I was looking at a Halcyon Eclipse to use along with my Seaquest Pro Unlimited. Is an STA easy to travel with? Looks like it might be quite heavy.

Back
Top Bottom