St. Martin and Saba report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oliver

Reaction score
Just got back from St. Martin and Saba. The wife doesn't dive so I only managed to get a 2-tank morning in SXM and another double over on Saba.

The diving in SXM was much better then I had been led to expect, granted I've been in a drysuit and quarries all summer. I dove with Dive Adventures in SXM and we hit two sites called Hen&Chicks and Grouper, repectively. Hen&Chicks had a little wall but then a nice old meteor crater which was pretty cool (max depth ~50'). Grouper was quite nice with some decent structure and swim-throughs. Several spotted eagle rays and sting rays.

Saba was great. Topside the place is friggin Brigadoon. We had a poor weather day and visibility was cut seriously. Sea state and currents prevented us doing the fabled pinnacles. We did first dive on a site called Renforan and the second at Babylon. Even with the lower vis (15' near surface, 50' below 30') it was absolutely great. Best warm water diving I've ever done. Hawksbill turtle, Nursing shark, frog fish, tons of stuff. Most colorfull soft coral I've seen. I found this to be much more enjoyable than drift diving near cozumel last year.

- Oliver

Where did you stay? Who did you dive with? I am looking forward to Saba in January, 2005. Any info would be helpful.

We only stayed one night in Saba at the Juliana Apts. I dove with Sea Saba but there are two other operators on the island. I highly recommend Sea Saba's website (www.seasaba.com) as it is full of information on lodgings, travel etc.

- O

Oliver:
Nice to know you really got back!
You missed a great dive on Friday, I did the Shark Dive out of Philipsburg, as my final dive. 60 ft vis, 15 to 20 sharks from 3 to 9 ft (big moma was apx 9 1/2 ft @ 400 lb) water temp was 82 all week. Sorry you couldn'tget back to St. Maarten in time to go diving with me on friday morning. I passed my Adv Open Water with this dive. Mabey we can hook up again sometime. My best to your wife.
P.S. I will be going to florida the last week in Jan, and will be doing some diving. Intrested ?
Barry

Tim Ingersoll:
Where did you stay? Who did you dive with? I am looking forward to Saba in January, 2005. Any info would be helpful.

We stayed at the Queen's Garden Resort in late July 2003 and will back in 2004. Dove with Sea Saba, and loved it. Do not miss Diamond Rock and Man O'War (the pinnacle dives). Tent Reef is also nice. Great dive crew, little or no current, excellent viz.

Saba is a treasure. No deep water port to scare away the fish or damage the coral. Most accumulation of life in the Caribbean. I have been to Little Cayman 6 times, Grand Cayman 4, Belize once, the Galapagos (wild), Tobago (3x), St. Lucia, Bequia, Dominca, Grenada, Cozumel (2x), the Bahamas, Hawaii and other places, and Saba is BY FAR the best.

No beaches, so really for serious divers, although the conditions are such that a novice can enjoy.

The QGR is located at about 1500 feet above the capital city, The Bottom (Saba is the highest point in the Netherlands, 3000 ft). The staff is wonderful, the rooms are spacious and clean, and many amenities, (internet in lobby, sat TV in room). Five minutes from the dive boat. Maybe the best restaurant on the island, although you should sample Brigadoon (town favorite, and most divers hang for the sushi and great food). The Gatehouse is five star. We also enjoyed the steak and barbecue at the Swinging Doors, a Texas style spit-n-sawdust joint in Windwardside. Do not miss it.

We expect to dive Saba at least once a year. Friendly people, beautiful place.

Enjoy!

I recommend Saba also. Went there last year in June. Diving was outstanding we used Saba Deep -- the two Mikes are a hoot! The hotel -- Gatehouse in Hell's Gate -- although across the island, was perfect, and as part of our dive package was pick up and return to the hotel, it was not an issue.

Rob5019:
Saba is a treasure. No deep water port to scare away the fish or damage the coral. Most accumulation of life in the Caribbean. I have been to Little Cayman 6 times, Grand Cayman 4, Belize once, the Galapagos (wild), Tobago (3x), St. Lucia, Bequia, Dominca, Grenada, Cozumel (2x), the Bahamas, Hawaii and other places, and Saba is BY FAR the best.

Wow, certainly not my experience. Saba was very nice and well worth diving, though rather silty with variable vis. I would never even imagine comparing Saba to the Galapagos which were simply spectacular. I've enjoyed many other dive destinations (Dominica, Socorro, Grand Turk, Bonaire, Galapagos, Fiji) more than Saba.

Ralph

I am headed down to Saba on Thursday for 10 days of diving joy. I will let you know if my experience is different than before. I can't speak to Fiji or Grand Turk. I am off to French Polynesia next year, and I will then have a South Pacific reference. But for now, Saba rules!

Dive safe.

Cheers, Rob

From your prior post, you dove Saba in October. I dove July/August. There may be a big difference on the vis issue, because what you described as far as vis goes was not the case when we dove. We did maybe 15 dives, and the vis at each spot was great. I am sorry you did not get to do the pinnacles. If you get the chance, try July/August and be sure to do Diamond Rock and Man O'War. Really something.

Best, Rob

Back
Top Bottom