St Andrews State Park has any1 tried this???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

copter53

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I live in Panama City and I just love to dive the state park. Now every now and then I have my eye on shell Island and I'm wondering/planning?? Has any1 ever scuba dove shell Island? Has any1 ever swam underwater from one Jetty to the other??

Will one tank suffice? Two? 4?

Can I maybe tie a rope underwater from one jetty to the next and then just pull my way in between?

From Google earth it looks like fun to me. I’m not supposed to say that but there it is.

I see no more danger than any overhead environment as long as the diver is comfortable
in said environment. No dive flag can cause some trouble but at the same time dragging a flag across a channel is obviously a no go…

How deep is it? Google puts the crossing at a hair under 2000 ft so time the tides right and see how far you can go on one tank then extrapolate to estimate how much you need. With 200+ dives you will be fine.

I live in Panama City Beach over the summers and have a friend that's done it on a scooter, haven't heard of anybody doing it just by swimming but I believe no doubt it could easily be done. The trouble is how to get back across the channel after the dive and exploring the jetty on the other side. With a scooter it was no problem on a single tank but I would think you would definitely be looking at a double tank minimum if you're making the swim twice to get back to where you entered the water. Easiest most efficient way is to see if you can borrow a scooter from somebody or rent one, but I also think it would be fun to be able to brag about making the swim also. :wink:

I see no more danger than any overhead environment as long as the diver is comfortable
in said environment. No dive flag can cause some trouble but at the same time dragging a flag across a channel is obviously a no go…

How deep is it? Google puts the crossing at a hair under 2000 ft so time the tides right and see how far you can go on one tank then extrapolate to estimate how much you need. With 200+ dives you will be fine.

Don't get caught without a dive flag. FMP patrol the area frequently. In the channel there is just a black mud which is hard, not much to see. Depth depends on the last time they dredged it, but it can be 80 - 90 fsw. We do the channel side and I have found more varied sea life there than on any single wreck in the gulf. The trip around can take about 90 mins with depth at the bottom of the rocks at 22 msw as of two weeks ago. BTW, we saw a yellow seahorse there. We usually got in channel side and go around the end and in bay side. The only problem is then the long slog back to the car.

Dale

Don't get caught without a dive flag. FMP patrol the area frequently. In the channel there is just a black mud which is hard, not much to see. Depth depends on the last time they dredged it, but it can be 80 - 90 fsw. We do the channel side and I have found more varied sea life there than on any single wreck in the gulf. The trip around can take about 90 mins with depth at the bottom of the rocks at 22 msw as of two weeks ago. BTW, we saw a yellow seahorse there. We usually got in channel side and go around the end and in bay side. The only problem is then the long slog back to the car.

Dale

How do you avoid detection when diving without a flag? Coz a flag is a hassle and ruins the dive

I always use a flag, but to answer, if I wanted to we dive closed circuit rebreathers so no bubbles for the FMP to see us once down. But in the jetties FMP have caught divers coming up at the end of their dives, $250.00 fine. The only real problem I have had with a flag is the dam anglers hooking it and trying to drag my ass up. I have had to loop the line around a rock and go up some and cut their fishing line.

The neatest flag I had was a foam type plastic that in a high current would get drawn down, collapse and I would find it on the bottom. I would just carry it with me till the end of the dive and at 6 msw (20 fsw) it would gain enough of its buoyancy that I could send it up and finish my exit.

Dale

How do you avoid detection when diving without a flag? Coz a flag is a hassle and ruins the dive

A dive flag is the law. Not sure why you consider this a "problem" , I tow a flag every dive. Divers violating the law create a negative image for the dive community. If towing a flag is a hassle for you, perhaps you need to look at what you are using to tow a flag (reel?).

Last edited:
Unfortunately many boat operators don't know what a dive flag is and will attempt to pull you up from the bottom or they use it as part of a slalom course! But, it is still safer to dive with one as was pointed out being hit by a boat is a real bummer.

Dale

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom