SS weight belt buckle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cyklon_300

Contributor
Reaction score
Are there any online sources for ScubaPro buckles?

Are there other decent SS buckles available? I saw an IDI on some site the other day, not sure if it's worth buying, tho.

I checked out some off-brand metal buckle at the LDS today and it looked cheesy. Not sure it was even SS, it didn't say so on the packaging.

I've bought one SS buckle from FredT and another from Reef Scuba. As I recall they were both under $10, look good, and work perfectly on my BP and harnesses. The finish might be better on a ScubaPro, but I wouldn't pay more for one.

Don

I have seen a couple people say they have purchased from
Reef Scuba. They have a lot of hardware in Brass, SS, and plastic. Check them out. I don't think you need to buy a SP brand.

Be careful if buying a used SP buckle. The pin or 'axel' was held in place by two tiny C clips which had a tendency to corrode, sometimes causing the buckle to fall apart. These are metric and difficult to find. When confronted with this problem make a new pin out of SS rod and flatten the outside ends or compress the inside ends.

Try Ebay, half price is better than paying full retail.

Good Luck

Hard Hat Diver

Metal buckles come as a wire loop, "standard" cut hinge, and pin hinge.

PIN HINGE

The older SP buckles had the "c" clips, but the clips were not of good corrosion resisting steel, but of a higher carbon steel that corroded. As the clip grew from corrosion it would eventually pop the end off the hinge pin. It's possible to drill out both the lever and the body a few thousandths and replace the pin with a SST welding rod pin or stove bolt.

Newer SP buckles use a peened pin and a slightly modified body.

Other SST buckles are available with a pin hinge, and are made of SST. The ones I carry are "good" stainless with a peened hinge pin. The metal shape is the same as the older SP buckles, but it has a better hinge than they did.

Both the SP and the ones I carry are "adjustable" for various belt webbing thickness. I have seen a couple others with pin hinges that were not adjustable for webbing thickness. I didn't try them so have no data on how well they'll work long term.

CUT HINGE

The least expensive metal buckles are 2 piece stamped metal deals where the hinge "pin" is a tab cut as part of the lever and is popped into place by springing the sides of the body out and letting the hole snap over the cut tab. Because the "bearings" in this design are simple lines of stamped edge metal the buckle wears out rather quickly Every one of the dozens of metal buckles I have recovered on lost weight belts had this type of buckle with worn "pins". I keep the lead and belt, but trash the buckles. The plastic buckles so common on 90% of the lost weight belts I've recovered are a variation on this theme with the "pin" molded as part of the lever. At least those can be used to make BTUs in a campfire.

WIRE LOOP

These consist of two wire loops that interlock when fastened and are retained on the ends of the belts in loops formed by two keepers. This is probably the most secure buckle and the fastest belt to put on. It is also a real PITA to adjust belt length or weights. If diving EXACTLY the same type of rig with the same belt they are great once you get them adjusted. If you regularly change exposure suits, or weight loads they suck unless you are willing to build a belt for each combination. I think Trident is the only one still making them, but they were common on equipment several decades ago.

FT

I bought my aluminum BP and harness from Gary Hoadley. A guy that makes them and sells them himself. With the harness came a SS buckle that is the best buckle I have ever used. No slop, no play and very solid. There was a sticker on it when I got it and it said Alpha Diving Products. It had the Alpha flag onit as well. I would say check his ebay store and write him an email if you don't find it. I'm sure he'll toss one or two your way for a couple of bucks. He's in Canada though so shipping will be a few days longer. I would like to get a few more of these buckles myself now that I think about it. Here's his store link
Gary Haodleys Underwater Technical Supply

Ooohhh, check out that canister light he made too!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom