SS Backplate.. One size fits all?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Colson

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, so I’ve settled on purchasing a Light Monkey 21W HID canister light when the time is right. I’ve also settled on purchasing an Intova 4.7W LED backup light thanks to everyone’s suggestions. Now, here’s my next question…

SS backplates - Some manufacturers offer different size plates while others do not. I am 6’-5” tall and weigh 180 lbs. Will I need to purchase, say an Oxycheq medium plate for example which is designed for people over 6’-4”, rather than the “one-size-fits-all” plate?

It just seems that sizing is not a huge concern or else more manufacturers would offer multiple sizes. This is simply my conjecture on the matter; I’d like to hear what you think.

In case it makes a difference which it should not, I’ll be pairing the BP with an Oxycheq 30# wing.

Thanks!

Hi Colson,

Given your size, I suppose you might want to look into the "long pattern" plates that some makers offer. That said, I don't know for sure about your specific size.

But I can speak to why multiple sizes are a good thing. I rented a Halcyon "Standard" size BP (15.5" tall) on my last dive trip and it was definitely too tall for me. With the waist strap around my waist (obviously!), the top of the plate and the shoulder straps were too high up. I adjusted things to work around it as much as possible, and it certainly was usable, but when I tried on Halcyon's "Small" sized plate (14" tall) it made a world of difference.

So at least on the small end, I'm glad that some manufacturers offer different plate sizes.

B.

I think backplate sizing is a concern for shorter divers. There's a whole chapter in the IANTD technical encyclopedia on that. But as for the large and "extra long" plates, it always seemed curious to me why anyone would bother. I mean, what's the upside to having the plate cover more of your back? I guess if you're very broad the drysuit inflation bottle might get uncomfortable if the plate was too narrow, but otherwise, what's the issue?

I use Halcyon's gear most of the time and their waist webbing rides me rather high and I am only 6'.1". In short, DSS's longer plates would be a good call for you IMO...

Hi, Colson, and WELCOME!!!! to ScubaBoard.

Will one size fit all? Yes . . . but it won't be satisfactory.

At your height you should look into one of Tolbin's plates.

I used to make back plates and I found that some people really needed different size plates.

The fact the the slots in the plates are fixed has a great impact upon the way that the shoulder straps and waist straps fit.

Suffice it to say that the difference in the dimensions between the top of my shoulders and waist at 5'7" is significantly different than that of yours.

The general plate, give your height, will force either your shoulder straps or waist straps, or both, to fit in an unnatural position. This can effect your breathing and possibly significantly impair your respiratory process.

Spend the money and get the right tool at the outset. You will not be disappointed.

the K

I would get the stretch version like The Kraken urged. I have a large DSS plate paired with the Oxychek 45# wing. I got the added plates that bolt onto the bp - get more weight off your hips and near your wing. It will be a lot easier to trim out so you are horizontal under water too.

I'm looking at moving to a BP&W this season.

I dive dry with single 130's with a 19 cuft Pony back mounted. I also have additional weights in my BC.

Needless to say the worst part of the dive is the trudge to/from the water carrying all of that load!

The BC straps really put pressure on my shoulder/neck muscles such that sometimes I have a dull headache before I ever get into the water.

The waist strap/cumber-bum wraps around my midsection about at my navel.
I just had a DiveRite Factory Rep size me and he had the XL Tall waist strap located in the same place.

In my younger days I did a fair amount of backpacking.
We usually had the waist straps such that they wrapped around our abdomens slightly lower than our navel and actually tighten up around the pelvic/hip bones.

Most of the pack weight was then borne by the pelvic/hip skeletal structure and the shoulder straps were to provide stability to the pack. You could walk for hours in comfort.

Where my BC waist strap is now, when I tighten it, it's harder to breath!

So my questions are:
Where is the BP waist strap suppose to be located ?

Is it intended to be load bearing on the hips when out of the water? (Like a backpacK?)

(My guess is that most everyone carries the load on their shoulder straps and toughs it out.)

Last edited:
The backplate is for diving, and its nothing like a hiking backpack. A quick and easy solution to your problem is to ditch the backmounted pony.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom