Squid Egg Shag Carpeting! Redondo Canyon! 1/28/07! Limited Engagement, Don't miss it!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GUE has put out new standards on the deployment of rifles during a dive. First you give the hand signal which mimics shooting your team mates with a finger pistol. Slapping the side of your head with a fist adds emphasis. Then deploy your long rifle - with the stock gripped in the right - not left hand. The light should be passed over the barrel during deployment. Backup firearms should be stored in the right pocket.

LAJim:
GUE has put out new standards on the deployment of rifles during a dive. First you give the hand signal which mimics shooting your team mates with a finger pistol. Slapping the side of your head with a fist adds emphasis. Then deploy your long rifle - with the stock gripped in the right - not left hand. The light should be passed over the barrel during deployment. Backup firearms should be stored in the right pocket.
:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:
Ken!!! Jim!!! I'm gonna pee my dry suit... STOP IT!!!! (... some more.... omg... :)

HBDiveGirl:
:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:
Ken!!! Jim!!! I'm gonna pee my dry suit... STOP IT!!!! (... some more.... omg... :)

A fresh Depend Maximium Absobency for you in the mail... now go ahead and pee :eyebrow:

LAJim:

I just spoke with Mark at Superior Dry Suit Repair - He has created a sew-on Neoprene RIFLE POCKET.

You've seen the sew-on neoprene Knife Pocket

You've seen the sew-on bellows pocket with velcro flap.

This new pocked kicks butt. Its a close fitting sew-on neoprene rifle-shaped pocket with a velcro flap. You pull the velcro flap back, slide in (or out) the rifle.

Its usually mounted on the right leg. Which means GUE is releasing a new kick:

The FLOG KICK.

Its a cross between the Frog and the Flutter. If you're not scootering (of course the rifle would be mounted on the scooter scabbard... duh) you would mount the rifle pocket on the right - so you'd Flutter with the right leg, and you frog kick with the left leg.

The Flog Kick. There is a video coming to the GUE site very soon.

At present there is no Flog Back Kick ("FLACK KICK") but inside sources at GUE tell me there may be one soon.

So your options are thus:

* With a Scooter: Scabbard (old west style...)

* Without a Scooter: Right Leg, required Flog Kick

There is one more non-GUE solution I saw at DEMA: The folks at OMS, those wacky people that brought you the butt plate that you can bungee a bunch of crap to - the one that sort of hangs from the bottom of your Back Plate like a friggen Trucker's Mud Flap? OMS has created a modified version of this mudflap that will facilitate a 90 degree rifle mount. Its only to be used for Open Water, for obvious reasons. In fact, you need to giant stride off the Transom as there is no way you're getting through the gate with the thing.

They are releasing another version in Q2 2007 - a Tank Band mounted Scabbard that will facilitate a dramatic over-the-shoulder rifle draw. In OMS fashion, there will be a bungee option to keep the scabbard close to you tank to reduce drag. Those guys are always thinking over there. Of course, the Tank Mount Bungee Rifle Scabbard (or TMBRS #001) will be bright red.

Sea Pearls had something interesting at DEMA as well: deployable BB magazines that double as weight pouches. Imagine the current Sea Pearls weight pouch, with a convienent flip-top tube integrated! You can reach down, practice ditching your weights and reload at the same time! Of course its recommended you "over weight" about 1 pound for each 900 BB's you plan on shooting throughout the course of a dive, as you'll be harvesting ammunition from your ballast.

The last thing I saw at DEMA was a really cool LP hose adapter from Trident that essentially eliminated the need for CO2 cartridges or pumping up the Rifle! You simply attach the adapter to either your DS hose or Inflator hose (if you're really slick, you'll have an Airgon bottle rigged just for this) and you'll have a virtually endless supply of rapid fire compressed air! Way better than breaking trim so you can pump the rifle up 20 or 30 times.

Rock On HBAnnieOakleyGirl!

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
<snip> The folks at OMS, those wacky people that brought you the butt plate that you can bungee a bunch of crap to - the one that sort of hangs from the bottom of your Back Plate like a friggen Trucker's Mud Flap? OMS has created a modified version <snip>
<snip> In OMS fashion, there will be a bungee option to keep the scabbard close to you tank to reduce drag. Those guys are always thinking over there. Of course, the Tank Mount Bungee Rifle Scabbard (or TMBRS #001) will be bright red.

Sea Pearls had something interesting at DEMA as well: deployable BB magazines that double as weight pouches. Imagine the current Sea Pearls weight pouch, with a convienent flip-top tube integrated! You can reach down, practice ditching your weights and reload at the same time! Of course its recommended you "over weight" about 1 pound for each 900 BB's you plan on shooting throughout the course of a dive, as you'll be harvesting ammunition from your ballast.

<snip>
---
Ken

HAAAA HAAAA HAAAA! ROTFLMFAO!:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:
Ken, you are KILLING ME!

scottfiji:
Nice job with the photos Ken. did you have your strobe arm all the way out to avoid heavy backscatter? I was getting a lot of backscatter in my shots, but my arm is fairly short.

scott

I light through the subject.

Yes, I had the arms fully extended. But I got a lot LESS BS last night than the night before (when the water was actually clearer) because I changed the way I was lighting the shots. I got much better results yesterday. PLUS it was twilight, not real darkness.

I'm heading over tonight... we'll see how it goes in darkness.

Thanks!

---
Ken

#1 - If carrying several boxes of rifle ammunition on a dive makes you overweighted - switch to hollowpoints.

#2 - Don't dive with a shotgun. This is using equipment to address a skills problem. Learn to shoot straight before diving with firearms.

#3 Don't use double-enders to attach grenades to your scooter ring by their pins. This has caused problems and is no longer recommended.

#4 ???

Anyone going in tonight or tomorrow? I'd like to make it out for this--probably Saturday night--but since it's a bit of a drive, I'd like to get some updates before heading up. So...if someone does make it out tonight or tomorrow day, a dive report would be immensely appreciated. I know so little about Redondo (I think I only have like 3 dives there?) that it's going to be bad enough trying to find this stuff without hard conditions on top of it!

Thanks!
-jake

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom