spyware on scubaboard ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree, lavasoft's Ad-Aware craps all over MS's products. Spybot is pretty good too

The thing that worries me about the MS spyware product is potential for abuse. I believe MS would willingly turn a blind eye to certain programs from companies it owns or supports in some way.. or support MS.

I don't trust any one company. I run Ad-Aware and Spybot. They hate each other (Ad-Aware sometimes flags Spybot!) enough for me to trust the combination of them :D

Jonnythan is right.

Google ads are content sensitive. If you talk about milk there will be ads for cows, if you talk about scuba there will be ads for scuba.

While this appears to some bots as invasive, it is not. We do not allow them to harvest any data from our users. However, if/when you leave our site to view the various sites, we have no control over them.

NetDoc:
If you talk about milk there will be ads for cows
Boy, that's some system! If I talk about steel, will I try to be sold a blast furnace? :eyebrow:

Wonder how many milk drinkers see those ads for cows and think "oh, wow. Gotta me order one of them! Martha, go buy some hay!"

Well it can get embarrassing for us. We had a "shark death" thread that was pretty ecologically oriented. If you looked at the Google ads, they were for shark fins and other parts. Luckily, we were able to stop that pretty quick.

NetDoc:
Jonnythan is right.

Google ads are content sensitive. If you talk about milk there will be ads for cows, if you talk about scuba there will be ads for scuba.

While this appears to some bots as invasive, it is not. We do not allow them to harvest any data from our users. However, if/when you leave our site to view the various sites, we have no control over them.
Knowing the way certain threads spin off into a whole host of subjects, i am shocked that the bots can keep up with posting all the various possible products in the little ads. Glad i got membership to get rid of the option of seeing those :wink:

awap:
I run Spybot and pick up no hits from SB. But I get lots of hit on ebay from something called "doubleclick".

You want to go into your ineternet settings on your browser and block the URL of doubleclick.com and doubleclick.net

they will load spyware and adware on your computer. Block them by all means.!!!!

doubleclick also runs ads. They have a reputation for data mining by tracking you all over the net. Not sure if they still do.

Back
Top Bottom