spyware on scubaboard ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapro50

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm running Windows XP pro and have just downloaded their new Beta version of anti-spyware from the microsoft websight. I have notice quite a few hits from the realtime protection part of the program while trying to view scubaboard. Has anyone else noticed this or had any problems ?

We don't run anything that is remotely related to spyware, spyware affiliates or anything of the sort. There are a few products that will flag ads or cookies as spyware, that could be the problem. Does the program tell you any more details or just that something is setting off its alert.

Tech Admin:
We don't run anything that is remotely related to spyware, spyware affiliates or anything of the sort. There are a few products that will flag ads or cookies as spyware, that could be the problem. Does the program tell you any more details or just that something is setting off its alert.
the active protection part of the program says it blocks browser redirects and advertisements..... it doesn't list specifics just number of times it has activated while program is running. I had previous used Zerospyware without any problems but deceided to try microsofts version after downloading their SP2 upgrade sunday.

I had wondered what the algorithm was to determine if someone was currently online... I suppose it could be something as simple as time between requests.

scubapro50:
I'm running Windows XP pro and have just downloaded their new Beta version of anti-spyware from the microsoft websight. I have notice quite a few hits from the realtime protection part of the program while trying to view scubaboard. Has anyone else noticed this or had any problems ?

Not to be Anti-Windows or anything, but I have found that the true anti-spyware companies like Lavasoft (Ad-Aware), Spybot (Spybot S&D) and even Webroot (Spy Sweeper) put out a better product than MS.

MS always seems to be "me too" programs that sort of do the job, but not quite. Kinda like Lite beer. :wink:

JMHO,

I run Spybot and pick up no hits from SB. But I get lots of hit on ebay from something called "doubleclick".

SubMariner:
Not to be Anti-Windows or anything, but I have found that the true anti-spyware companies like Lavasoft (Ad-Aware), Spybot (Spybot S&D) and even Webroot (Spy Sweeper) put out a better product than MS.

MS always seems to be "me too" programs that sort of do the job, but not quite. Kinda like Lite beer. :wink:

JMHO,

Wow, really? What kind of data do you have that shows that those products are better than the Beta software that MS has out? Have you used it :eyebrow:

I have used Ad-Aware, Spybot and the MS product. I prefer the MS product over the others. I also bet that they will be the first to market with a corporate version that works.

Actually, what MS does is wait till someone develops a good product, then buys the company and incorporates it into Windows or sells it as a standalone.

Mark

I was having a huge spy ware problem. I’m clean now. I run Spy Bot and Ad Aware and they seem to do a good job. I just didn’t know you need to run them regularly. I run them weekly now. I also found a great program called Hijackthis. It worked differently and very well. I’m also running McAfee Spam Killer. It’s a whole cocktail of defense.

The banner ads are Google ads, and are thus different-domain images and cookies (I think).

This would set off an internet protection program, because sites can use different-domain stuff maliciously.

It's nothing to worry about from SB though (unless you think the site admins are directly trying to hack your computer, which is the only threat :wink:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom