Spring Straps????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeepster0000

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
How do I install the spring straps on the Technisub Idea 3. The fins have that round protrusion to connect the rubber strabs. I want to put the spring straps that have a different type of clasp. I was thinking about drilling a hole right though the round part and crimping the springs on that way. I could use all ideas. Thanks,
ADAM

Have a look at this website and scroll down to the 'How to' section.

Jim Cobb's Trimix Site

There are a couple of articles that deal with attaching straps to Plana Avantis, so I'm sure that the technique would be the same for the Idea3s.

HTH,

Tibbs

...and you will find a lot of discussion on them. I used this site when making them for Mares fins..

Spring Straps

It sounds like the attachment points are similar, so it may work. WreckWriter used SS "s hooks" instead of ss wire and I think his way is a good one.

It seems to be okay. I scavenged through West Marine and found these SS collet pins that I straightened out. Then bent them into the rectangular shape and crimped them through the hole I drilled through the strap post on the fin.

Don't know if they would have held up while removing the fins in rough seas. I invested in some Jetfins and pre-fabricated spring straps. They were pretty abused while removing in the rough seas.

The SS S-hook idea is the easiest and cleanest. Just make sure post on the fin has lateral purchase on the S hook. If not, the hook could be torqued off while being abused. Just a thought, not verified since I went the other path.

Ken

I invested in some Jetfins and pre-fabricated spring straps.

...and purchased some jetfins with premade straps. I really like the ones on my Mares fins, but the thought of making another set on such short notice steered me to the easy way.

on my turtles, i just left the squarish rings on the fins and attached the springs to those. I didnt really see any reason not to. seem to work wonderfully well. I also didnt do anything fancy witht the springs - just cut off about an inch single looped them around those rings with the outer plastic tube and the inner string. Probably doesn't look the fanciest in the world but they work great and the first dive trip i took with them about 4 of my extra pairs of springs were spoken for by other people on the boat.

steve

Hey everybody, Thanks for all your help. I did put spring straps on my fins and I love them. I used an stainless steel s-hook and just crimped them down on the knob with some robo grips. It took it me 15 minutes total. I just crimped the other end around the cut spring and covered it with a piece of vinyl tubing. It looks great, though not professional. Oh by the way, This was on some technisubs IDEA3 fins. I am sure they will work for other brands. I dont have any pictures, but the above links is what walked me through it. If you want to do it, I would suggest to do it yourself and not by it. I spent $15 total and mine look good while taking little time.
If you have any questions please ask.
Thanks
ADAM

Back
Top Bottom