Spring straps revisited

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjchandler:
The SS hooks have an entanglement potential if you like to microanalyze these things. Its difficlut to squeeze the eye completely shut.

There are tricks to how you close the loop.
Any jewler can show you how in less than a minute. Most any metal worker can also show you using tools and wire more of the size you will use on fins but the trick is the same.

DA Aquamaster:
With set up, materials and production costs, the per unit cost is a bit higher than I thought and I need a minimum order of 40 to get a decent price.

So a set of 4 is going to run $10.00 which is about twice what I was hoping for.

Still at $4.52 per spring and shipping from Mc Master Carr, some stainless tig wire from the local hardware store for under a buck and a foot of clear poly tubing for maybe .59 cents, the cost of a set of spring straps would still be well under the $30-$35 E-bay price for a set of spring straps.

So are you saying that you can get 4 nylon blocks for $10.00?

Naby:
So are you saying that you can get 4 nylon blocks for $10.00?

Yes but I have to order 40.

Just finished my first divemaster candidate class, and you should have seen it. My instructor looks at my fins, and says, "What the hell did you do to your fins?" Sheepishly I told him about scubaboard and mumbled something about making my own can light. .. finally mumbling that "they really work". He laughed.

Our entry is a steep gravel one, and while he's putting on his fins, (the same model as mine) He slips and goes under while showing how to put on the fins!!

He loses a fin and its floating away. So BOOM BOOM, I've got both my fins on, and recover said fin. Score one for the DIY guys!

Next project, a 2nd stage reg. All I need is some tupperware and a dental dam, and watermaker hose and...

DA Aquamaster:
Yes but I have to order 40.

Count me in for four (4).

I have springs with shackles on my post style fins and can't wait to modify my Jets!

Just got back from Blackbeards and really appreciated them as I was just hanging around on the line watching others struggle to get their fins off.

Mike

Got all the parts i needed from Home Depot last night, except the springs! So to McMaster Carr it is, i tried all the marine stores, hardware stores and surplus stores i could, but no-one had springs in stainless of about that size or length or gauge. I think the parts cost me about $18inc tax from HD for 4 3/16" S/S shackles, the 10-32x3/4" S/S screws (4 in a pack), 3/4ODx5/8IDx10' clear PVC Tubing and a huge reel of #18 mason line (nylon) - the line was the only part i wasnt sure about. So with the springs from MMC and shipping i would guess around $31, but i can always get more parts and make some for my GF. Thanks for all the tips and helpful pointers!!

My only question though, is why not use bungee (shockcord) say 1/4" or 3/8" or so in size. I understand that the knot might be a little large, but is there any reason not to, doesnt it deform too much under load - i havent found this so far with bungee and you could still thread it through the tubing to get a decent surface area on your boot. I was just wondering as i walked around looking for springs whilst everything else was right there before me.

So has anyone found any black PVC tubing?
I am thinking that would look good.

I also ditched the line in my springstraps, overstretching does not appear to be a problem.

Mike

Could have got clear or black tubing at Home Depot or other hardware stores. I am pretty sure i saw it there in 10ft wraps next to the clear stuff.

Just got the springs in, pretty quick shipping overnight on UPS ground from Atlanta to Orlando. $4 shipping is a bit for a few springs, but at least i have them now, will attempt the manufacture this weekend!!

Back
Top Bottom