Spring straps revisited

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pipedope

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
Here are a couple of pics of my Avanti Quatros with spring straps. The first pic shows the spring attached with a 3/16" stainless shackle from Home Depot (be careful to get the stainless one).
As you can see the pin is sticking out and likely to grab things.

I squeezed the shackle to make it secure on the fin post and that is why the pin is sticking way out.

I then replaced the pin with a screw. The screw is stainless 10-32 x 3/4" also from Home Depot.

Ahh, that is much better.:)

I will peen the end thread on each screw slightly to prevent them from coming unscrewed, after I am sure this is how I want them to stay.

Frequent inspections are also a good idea, as with all dive gear.

pipedope once bubbled...
I squeezed the shackle to make it secure on the fin post and that is why the pin is sticking way out.

I then replaced the pin with a screw. The screw is stainless 10-32 x 3/4" also from Home Depot.

Ahh, that is much better.:)

Well. I know at least 2 guys who will be heading out tomorrow to buy screws. I have 3 pairs of fins done with those shackles and it never occurred to me to swap out the long pins for screws. Duh!!

Thanks PD

John F

el-ninio once bubbled...
they are about 3-4$ here, in marean supplay stores - about 10-15 times more expensive then the non-stainless ones.

I pay $4.25 Cdn at home and I believe I paid just under $3 US in Ohio at Loews. I priced them at McMaster-Carr when I bought more springs and they wanted $18 for them. I didn't ask why the huge difference.

John F

The stainless items cost about 10x the plated steel ones.

I paid about $3.75 each for the shackles and $0.77 for a 4 pack of the 10-32 x 3/4 screws.

I am glad I don't need to fumble with those buckles anymore.:D

You'll never go back to crappy ABS straps ever again. Solid, secure, won't break, easy as heck to doff or don in the water...

... I broke the buckle on my Quattro's twice before I smartened up and made myself some spring straps. If you're curious, I know a guy on E-Bay who sells them for cheap. :)

well thanks
although i have never had any problems with the "crappy" abs straps but to each their own - what is the difference they just look like a spring with some rubber around to protect

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom